RIP AFL

This forum is for discussion of other sports. It has been created by request.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Post Reply
themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:02 pm

RIP AFL

Post by themessenger »

How the AFL is killing footy for the fans
By Brendan O'Reilly
"Where did the spontaneity and fun go? Does our entertainment need to be canned"
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-the-a ... gw7di.html


A Sydney Morning Herald article on the affect of the over-commercialisation of Aussie Rules got this response from one reader....let's hope the FFA don't make the same mistake......

"Welcome to the death of AFL football. Becoming irrelevant and in 3+ generations will be a museum exhibit.
Ever increasing prices and gouging, relentless advertising (I thought our gate fees and tv rights covered costs, why the need for the relentless advertising then?), poor and overpriced food and drink, have to be careful what you say and to who in the heat of the moment, sanitization of the game and the players and rule changes to eradicate any real competition or spark interest.
As much as I detested the era of booze, biffo and bastardry at least it lent some color to proceedings. What we have now is a completely politically correct sanitization of a once great game that is a husk of it's former glory. A plastic, ersatz facsimile that has been assembled by committee.
Soccer (the other football) is taking over here in Melbourne and in Australia and will become the one global game in the next 20-30 years.
Look at the uptake of fans over the past 10 years here in Melbourne. Ever growing fan bases and less gouging at the soccer games, dwindling paid fans and less interest in the game by younger people with AFL.
RIP AFL, when you were good, you were great. Now? So much pap..."

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager
Posts: 8727
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by BeNatural »

Ive been to a few matches at Adelaide Oval now, the AFL is not killing the sport in SA thats for sure, even with price increases (which happens each year for staple food or services and is the norm) there are still over 40,000 people attending.

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Soccer-Mad »

In Melbourne the other day.

51,000 at Melbourne Victory/CIty game and across the road at the same at the MCG 52,000 people.
A win for our footBall in anyones language.

As for AO and 40,000 in a state of 1,6 mil that is not that great or unexpected.

User avatar
Sunny Vanilla
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6759
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Sunny Vanilla »

Soccer-Mad wrote:In Melbourne the other day.

51,000 at Melbourne Victory/CIty game and across the road at the same at the MCG 52,000 people.
A win for our footBall in anyones language.

As for AO and 40,000 in a state of 1,6 mil that is not that great or unexpected.
Love these isolated stats

Fact is A League crowds are down this season

Expect that trend to continue next year
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:01 am

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

may be competing well against AFL but crowds in Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast, Brisbane all down. Let's not forget about NRL and it's influence.
Image

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Soccer-Mad »

I agree guys,,,, but just saying on the day Football matched it with AFL...

gl1968
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by gl1968 »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
Soccer-Mad wrote:In Melbourne the other day.

51,000 at Melbourne Victory/CIty game and across the road at the same at the MCG 52,000 people.
A win for our footBall in anyones language.

As for AO and 40,000 in a state of 1,6 mil that is not that great or unexpected.
Love these isolated stats

Fact is A League crowds are down this season

Expect that trend to continue next year
What have you got against the A League how are players with potential get to test their abilities sure they can go overseas but many (not all) are too young
[img][/img]

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Ibelieve »

BeNatural wrote:Ive been to a few matches at Adelaide Oval now, the AFL is not killing the sport in SA thats for sure, even with price increases (which happens each year for staple food or services and is the norm) there are still over 40,000 people attending.
Agreed Be Natural!
But let's face it, I watched the port powder puffs last night against weagles, although tense at times, port has really destroyed afl football. Terrible style they play, everyone around the ball, too many stoppages. But most teams are starting to play this way. This will kill the game off.
Better for the World Game, which is the best game & the true football....

blue bags
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by blue bags »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
Soccer-Mad wrote:In Melbourne the other day.

51,000 at Melbourne Victory/CIty game and across the road at the same at the MCG 52,000 people.
A win for our footBall in anyones language.

As for AO and 40,000 in a state of 1,6 mil that is not that great or unexpected.
Love these isolated stats

Fact is A League crowds are down this season

Expect that trend to continue next year
Have crowds increased or dropped in the local leagues ??

Gary Gerald
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 am

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Gary Gerald »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
Love these isolated stats

Fact is A League crowds are down this season

Expect that trend to continue next year
And where is your proof?

2010/11 - 1,512,479
2011/12 - 1,536,231
2012/12 - 1,772,133
2013/14 - 1,887,006
2014/15 - 1,796,933 (still the GF to be played so add at least 28,000)

So we are talking 60,000 down from last season, realistically 40,000 down if they played the GF at Etihad and not AAMI. Hardly cause for alarm considering the previous growth and considering there was an Asian Cup this year - 671,705 (20,991 per match) - Yeah! Real cause for concern!

I would say the upward trend is continuing and football is healthier than ever.

BoPeep
Ball Boy
Ball Boy
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: RIP AFL

Post by BoPeep »

51,000 at Melbourne Victory/CIty game and across the road at the same at the MCG 52,000 people.
A win for our footBall in anyones language.

Had to laugh Joffa who is Collingwood's biggest supporter (golden jacket) went to watch Melbourne Victory/City rather than his much loved Collingwood's at the MCG. 5AA commentators on the Friday night mentioned it. They joked that he should be suspended for 2 matches!
Just need Eddie to jump ship as well!

the balance
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by the balance »

Can Adelaide handle a second A - league team. That is more the questing
improving the soccer yield and even AU growth
no different to Sydney and Melbourne

User avatar
Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Mad_Max »

AFL need an injection of some sort.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

User avatar
bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:05 am

Re: RIP AFL

Post by bob saget »

Mad_Max wrote:AFL need an injection of some sort.
Essendon could lend their experience?
God is an Englishman: "you basically had your own confederation and still couldn't qualify"

bob saget: "Australia represented the OFC by eliminating Uruguay in Nov 2005"

giae:
Image

Geo217
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Geo217 »

It's laughable, afl is a religion in Melbourne, every work office runs a tipping competition, it will never ever be overtaken in this city, comparing a semi final to a regular season game is also silly especially the pies and Geelong who aren't contenders this year, Melbourne victory averages about the same crowds as the smallest afl clubs here (bulldogs and north melbourne). Very few people take notice of the A league here once afl season starts again, last Friday night was more about the novelty factor of a derby semi final..the match had "event" status, when that translates into becoming the norm then we can talk about takeovers, as it stands the afl gets multiple 50k+ crowds every week.

User avatar
Sunny Vanilla
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6759
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Sunny Vanilla »

Gary Gerald wrote:
El Paso del Norte wrote:
Love these isolated stats

Fact is A League crowds are down this season

Expect that trend to continue next year
And where is your proof?

2010/11 - 1,512,479
2011/12 - 1,536,231
2012/12 - 1,772,133
2013/14 - 1,887,006
2014/15 - 1,796,933 (still the GF to be played so add at least 28,000)

So we are talking 60,000 down from last season, realistically 40,000 down if they played the GF at Etihad and not AAMI. Hardly cause for alarm considering the previous growth and considering there was an Asian Cup this year - 671,705 (20,991 per match) - Yeah! Real cause for concern!

I would say the upward trend is continuing and football is healthier than ever.
Where is my proof?

You just gave it :lol:

Where did I say it was cause for concern?

I stated crowds are down this season, you backed that up with your figures.

I expect it will go down again next season.

shiraz you champagne are touchy :D
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie

ozzie owl
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 18758
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: RIP AFL

Post by ozzie owl »

the balance wrote:Can Adelaide handle a second A - league team. That is more the questing
improving the soccer yield and even AU growth
no different to Sydney and Melbourne
In a perfect world yes , with a population of 1.3m , we should be able to sustain two football sides. The reality is that football is not the number one sport , AFL dominates the sporting landscape.

The questions regarding the second side are quite complex , in regards to what it look likes and who does it represent, something that Melbourne City (formerly Heart) have struggled with since day one. Heart was formed as a side with no identity, ethnic and or regional difference to Melbourne Victory, they were simply positioned as a club to those who loved football but didn't like Victory. In fact in the early stages they were marketed on playing style and even more dangerous. Therefore the consideration of the second side and what it stands for are very complex, there are four marketing positions the second side could take.

1. Single ethnic model, dangers are they limited supporter and sponsor base. Also which ethnic group gets control?
2. Regional, given that Adelaide is very long city North-South but narrow east west, this can also cause issues.
3. Establish a side on same model as City/Heart , simply marketed to people who don't like AU. As proven by City/Heart this can be slow process, and has only really been saved by Man City buy out. What sort of crowds would this side attract and who in Adelaide has the cash underwrite losses over $1m plus per season.
4. Wealthy overseas football club like what Man City do and approach one of the NPL sides to fund its HAL entry.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Ibelieve »

Let's face it, soccer will ALWAYS be behind Aussie rules.
-10 teams the league (Joke)
-top 6 make finals(what a JOKE)
-NO promotion or relegatin(therefore Should NOT be competing in AFC)
-NO 2nd div(NPL is NOT a 2nd div) because there's no promotion or relagation
-It's not an Aussie sport. AFL is
-How many HAL teams have been taken over or need assistance? 95% of them. And how many are now not here? Since the introduction, which in only first few years are gone. Gold Coast & Fury.

Is it really heading in the right direction?

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Ibelieve »

Also! Played in SUMMER :shock:

User avatar
Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 11864
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Stitch This »

Ibelieve wrote:Let's face it, soccer will ALWAYS be behind Aussie rules.
-10 teams the league (Joke)
-top 6 make finals(what a JOKE)
-NO promotion or relegatin(therefore Should NOT be competing in AFC)
-NO 2nd div(NPL is NOT a 2nd div) because there's no promotion or relagation
-It's not an Aussie sport. AFL is
-How many HAL teams have been taken over or need assistance? 95% of them. And how many are now not here? Since the introduction, which in only first few years are gone. Gold Coast & Fury.

Is it really heading in the right direction?
From what I've read on FN, it's obvious that SAASL are the only organisation that has any idea what to do and therefore we should all give up now and play amateurs.
Time for some righteous indignation

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Ibelieve »

Stitch This wrote:
Ibelieve wrote:Let's face it, soccer will ALWAYS be behind Aussie rules.
-10 teams the league (Joke)
-top 6 make finals(what a JOKE)
-NO promotion or relegatin(therefore Should NOT be competing in AFC)
-NO 2nd div(NPL is NOT a 2nd div) because there's no promotion or relagation
-It's not an Aussie sport. AFL is
-How many HAL teams have been taken over or need assistance? 95% of them. And how many are now not here? Since the introduction, which in only first few years are gone. Gold Coast & Fury.

Is it really heading in the right direction?
From what I've read on FN, it's obvious that SAASL are the only organisation that has any idea what to do and therefore we should all give up now and play amateurs.
I vote for as president of FFA/FFSA/SAASL :D :D

ozzie owl
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 18758
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: RIP AFL

Post by ozzie owl »

Ibelieve wrote:Let's face it, soccer will ALWAYS be behind Aussie rules.
-10 teams the league (Joke)
-top 6 make finals(what a JOKE)
-NO promotion or relegatin(therefore Should NOT be competing in AFC)
-NO 2nd div(NPL is NOT a 2nd div) because there's no promotion or relagation
-It's not an Aussie sport. AFL is
-How many HAL teams have been taken over or need assistance? 95% of them. And how many are now not here? Since the introduction, which in only first few years are gone. Gold Coast & Fury.

Is it really heading in the right direction?
]

Simple answer yes.

In 2004 with final slow death of the NSL the game was a basket case.

ozzie owl
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 18758
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: RIP AFL

Post by ozzie owl »

I watched the Port v Richmond I can say it was painful viewing. The game has degenerated into roving packs of players. So many times both sides ran out of defence with no one to kick to.

User avatar
Bomber
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 56732
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:40 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: RIP AFL

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote:I watched the Port v Richmond I can say it was painful viewing. The game has degenerated into roving packs of players. So many times both sides ran out of defence with no one to kick to.
It wasn't THAT painful. Port lost! :wink:
Ignore this signature

Post Reply