Phil Hughes in critical condition after being hit by bouncer

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: Phil Hughes in critical condition after being hit by bou

Post by swannsong »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
swannsong wrote:A very sad incident indeed.
R.I.P. Phillip Hughes.

When I read that it took 30 minutes for an ambulance...and then they call for a helicopter...you can't help but think a quicker response time might have changed the outcome...but we'll never know.
I guess there should also be concern about crowd safety when the ball sails over the fence with a big six.
Also, when fielders are in short with helmets on they nearly always turn their backs and expose the same head region when a shot is played toward them.
We have become ridiculously risk averse (thanks to the American legal system where it's always someone else's fault) and I would imagine that the last thing Phil Hughes would want, would be to change the game over what is just a freak accident.
I wasn't even thinking of legal implications, was only thinking of Phil Hughes and others that might be in that situation.

Looking back on my goalkeeping years, putting my head down to make a save at the feet of forwards I'm surprised I still have my teeth and only suffered abroken nose once. :O
It's actually quite worrying the positions-situations we can find ourselves in just to play the various sports we love....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Certified Head Case
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Certified Head Case »

I broke my nose keeping too.
Digger wrote:No sane person would want to know you.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

swannsong wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
swannsong wrote:A very sad incident indeed.
R.I.P. Phillip Hughes.

When I read that it took 30 minutes for an ambulance...and then they call for a helicopter...you can't help but think a quicker response time might have changed the outcome...but we'll never know.
I guess there should also be concern about crowd safety when the ball sails over the fence with a big six.
Also, when fielders are in short with helmets on they nearly always turn their backs and expose the same head region when a shot is played toward them.
We have become ridiculously risk averse (thanks to the American legal system where it's always someone else's fault) and I would imagine that the last thing Phil Hughes would want, would be to change the game over what is just a freak accident.
I wasn't even thinking of legal implications, was only thinking of Phil Hughes and others that might be in that situation.

Looking back on my goalkeeping years, putting my head down to make a save at the feet of forwards I'm surprised I still have my teeth and only suffered abroken nose once. :O
It's actually quite worrying the positions-situations we can find ourselves in just to play the various sports we love....
If you're on the local Council, I'm surprised you haven't had a few more broken noses :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Inquiry found - An accident and no one to blame.

I get the impression this isn't what the family wanted to hear, but to me it seemed it was an accidental death.

But I do wonder what would happen if a person in a sporting situation was reckless (or on purpose looking to harm) in their actions on a sporting field and caused the death of an opposition player :?:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I wonder how much that inquiry cost to tell us what anyone who even basically understands cricket knew on the day.

Sawajiri Erika
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sawajiri Erika »

God is an Englishman wrote:I wonder how much that inquiry cost to tell us what anyone who even basically understands cricket knew on the day.
I was thinking the same thing.