Cook

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Cook

Post by Derek »

He needs to be dropped - he's losing the plot and it's getting embarrassing. I'm starting to feel bitter towards the entire set up.

Bring back KP!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Cook

Post by God is an Englishman »

Been bitter about it for a while. They won't drop him mid series though as tgatvwould admit their mistake over the KP debacle.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Time to go now Cookie......

quotes from cricinfo

It's been a 1124 days since India last won a Test overseas, It has been 28 years since India last won a Test at Lord's. The wait is over, and the main who starred on the final day is the man Indian fans have ridiculed for years - Ishant Sharma. He leads the triumphant team off the field.

England have had some horror days over the past year, but that hour after tea has to rank somewhere near the bottom. Why on earth did they not leave a few short balls? This loss after winning the toss on the greenest Lord's pitch in years has got to hurt bad.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

This gets better by the minute :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

THE England cricket team have fallen to one of their most humbling defeats - and one of their weirdest excuses yet has come out.
After a zombie-like performance in falling to India at Lord’s, meaning a 1-0 series deficit and ever-more extreme pressure on captain Alastair Cook, it has emerged that some players were suffering sleepless nights due to a haunted team hotel.
Yes. A HAUNTED HOTEL.
England paceman Stuart Broad yells after a near miss - or screams at a ghost. We’re not sure. Source: AP
Writing in the Independent, Jack De Menezes noted : “The current squad, many of whom have cut a shadow of their former world-dominating selves, have revealed that they have suffered many a sleepless night at their five-star hotel because it is “haunted” – yes, haunted by ghosts.
“Fast bowler Stuart Broad, who along with captain Alastair Cook has been one of the biggest disappointments of the summer, revealed that he moved rooms at the Langham Hotel in Marylebone because he was ‘convinced’ there were ghosts in the same room that he was sleeping in.
“’One night I woke up in the middle of the night, around 1.30am and I was convinced there was a presence in the room,’ Broad said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday.
“’It was the weirdest feeling. All of a sudden the taps in the bathroom came on for no reason. I turned the lights on and the taps turned themselves off.
“’Then when I turned the lights off again the taps came on. It really freaked me out. I ended up asking to move rooms.’
“The fast-bowler is not the only one to have experienced the spooky goings-on at the London hotel. All-rounder Ben Stokes, another who is struggling to find any form with the bat following a string of single digit scores, is also reported to have had difficulties sleeping, while some of the players’ girlfriends refused to stay at the Langham Hotel.
“The website of the 149-year-old hotel also has a story about its reputation of being haunted, with seven ghosts believed to roam the hallways of the ‘most haunted hotel in England’.”
De Menezes noted that a single hotel could not be held to blame for England’s entire nine-match winless streak.
England captain Alastair Cook cuts a frustrated figure after being dismissed cheaply at Lord’s. Source: AP
Other sections of the press have focused on more traditional failings, with captain Cook again in the firing line both as a batsman and leader.
Writing in the Telegraph, former England skipper Michael Vaughan said it was time for England to ditch Cook as captain and gamble on a left-field option: Irishman Eoin Morgan.
Vaughan said Cook needed to be removed from the captaincy for his own good.
“As the fallout from yet another Test defeat begins, English cricket’s first priority must be to look after its own. Like everyone else, I am talking about Alastair Cook. But I am talking about the person rather than the cricketer,” Vaughan wrote.
“Cook is 29 and has been representing England for eight years without a break. That takes its toll as a player alone, even if you’re not having to worry about leading the team as well. But then you put the captaincy into the mix, and it’s clearly something that doesn’t come naturally to him.
“I know the England and Wales Cricket Board has invested a lot of time and effort in Cook’s captaincy but sometimes you have to accept that something is not working. Stubbornness is a useful character trait when you are an opening batsman. But when it comes to decision-making, it can be damaging.
“Cook will not want to resign. He would see that as a capitulation, a big failure of personality. But there was a revealing signal at Monday’s post-match presentation, when he said that he was going to continue until he felt a “tap on the shoulder”.
“To me, that was almost like a cry for help. Somewhere deep down, I believe Cook wants the selectors to step in and pull him out of the fire, before it gets so hot that we lose him for good. This is a man with the capacity to score 13,000 Test runs.”
Vaughan said Cook should take a six-month break then attempt to return purely as a batsman. He backed a gamble on Morgan as skipper.
“The England team is crying out for someone with a different viewpoint, and Morgan has a nice manner, a lot of tactical awareness and a strong personality. Clearly, it us would be a risk. We don’t even know whether Morgan has it in him to be a reliable Test performer. But it might be time to throw the dice in the air.”
Bad Sharma - the England batting line-up had no answer to the Indian paceman. Source: AFP
Writing for the Mirror, Dean Wilson said Cook and the ECB were in a state of denial.
“Alastair Cook is facing his darkest days as an England player following a defeat that shoved him ever closer to the trapdoor,” Wilson wrote.
“The fact he remains in charge, and is set to do so until the series is either lost or completed, is because both he and his bosses are in denial over what everyone else can see with their own eyes.
“’I still believe the team needs me to lead them through this tough time,’ said Cook, refusing to accept that they might be easier were he not in charge and simply scoring runs.
“His batting is so fragile he is as close to a walking wicket as any opening batsman should be, and as a captain his authority is as limp as the English and Indians’ flags that hung throughout five balmy days at HQ.
“What else could explain the way in which his team-mates showed a total disregard for their responsibilities as English cricketers and succumbed as meekly as possible to a short-pitched onslaught from Ishant Sharma.”
England quick Stuart Broad had no joy as a batsman either. Source: AP
Writing for the Daily Mail, Sam Peters said Cook’s position was very much on the brink.
“England capitulated in spectacular fashion after lunch to fall to a humiliating 95-run defeat at Lord’s that leaves captain Alastair Cook’s future in grave doubt,” Peters wrote.
“Cook’s team lost six wickets for 50 runs either side of lunch to be bowled out for 223 in one of the most embarrassing displays of his increasingly disastrous spell in charge. England have now lost seven of their last 10 Tests and have not won in that period. It is their worst run in 21 years.
“The England captain, whose batting form has also collapsed, was badly let down by his batsmen again after lunch on day five.”
England veteran Matt Prior may be finished as a Test cricketer. Source: AFP
The other major talking point from England’s defeat was the decision by veteran wicketkeeper Matt Prior to stand down from the rest of the series due to fitness issues
Writing in the Telegraph, Nick Hoult said the decision could finish Prior’s Test career.
“Matt Prior has stepped down voluntarily from Test cricket for the rest of the summer due to fitness problems but Alastair Cook, the captain, has given himself three Tests to turn around England’s fortunes.
“The Telegraph can reveal that Prior told his fellow England players in the dressing room at Lord’s, after the 95-run defeat against India on Monday, that he was withdrawing from international cricket due to a com¬bination of injuries and he did not want to let the team down by playing when not fit.
“Prior is not retiring from cricket but accepts that his decision may signal the end of his international career after 79 Tests for England over the course of seven years.”

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Rookie wrote:This gets better by the minute :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

THE England cricket team have fallen to one of their most humbling defeats - and one of their weirdest excuses yet has come out.
After a zombie-like performance in falling to India at Lord’s, meaning a 1-0 series deficit and ever-more extreme pressure on captain Alastair Cook, it has emerged that some players were suffering sleepless nights due to a haunted team hotel.
Yes. A HAUNTED HOTEL.
England paceman Stuart Broad yells after a near miss - or screams at a ghost. We’re not sure. Source: AP
Writing in the Independent, Jack De Menezes noted : “The current squad, many of whom have cut a shadow of their former world-dominating selves, have revealed that they have suffered many a sleepless night at their five-star hotel because it is “haunted” – yes, haunted by ghosts.
“Fast bowler Stuart Broad, who along with captain Alastair Cook has been one of the biggest disappointments of the summer, revealed that he moved rooms at the Langham Hotel in Marylebone because he was ‘convinced’ there were ghosts in the same room that he was sleeping in.
“’One night I woke up in the middle of the night, around 1.30am and I was convinced there was a presence in the room,’ Broad said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday.
“’It was the weirdest feeling. All of a sudden the taps in the bathroom came on for no reason. I turned the lights on and the taps turned themselves off.
“’Then when I turned the lights off again the taps came on. It really freaked me out. I ended up asking to move rooms.’
“The fast-bowler is not the only one to have experienced the spooky goings-on at the London hotel. All-rounder Ben Stokes, another who is struggling to find any form with the bat following a string of single digit scores, is also reported to have had difficulties sleeping, while some of the players’ girlfriends refused to stay at the Langham Hotel.
“The website of the 149-year-old hotel also has a story about its reputation of being haunted, with seven ghosts believed to roam the hallways of the ‘most haunted hotel in England’.”
De Menezes noted that a single hotel could not be held to blame for England’s entire nine-match winless streak.
England captain Alastair Cook cuts a frustrated figure after being dismissed cheaply at Lord’s. Source: AP
Other sections of the press have focused on more traditional failings, with captain Cook again in the firing line both as a batsman and leader.
Writing in the Telegraph, former England skipper Michael Vaughan said it was time for England to ditch Cook as captain and gamble on a left-field option: Irishman Eoin Morgan.
Vaughan said Cook needed to be removed from the captaincy for his own good.
“As the fallout from yet another Test defeat begins, English cricket’s first priority must be to look after its own. Like everyone else, I am talking about Alastair Cook. But I am talking about the person rather than the cricketer,” Vaughan wrote.
“Cook is 29 and has been representing England for eight years without a break. That takes its toll as a player alone, even if you’re not having to worry about leading the team as well. But then you put the captaincy into the mix, and it’s clearly something that doesn’t come naturally to him.
“I know the England and Wales Cricket Board has invested a lot of time and effort in Cook’s captaincy but sometimes you have to accept that something is not working. Stubbornness is a useful character trait when you are an opening batsman. But when it comes to decision-making, it can be damaging.
“Cook will not want to resign. He would see that as a capitulation, a big failure of personality. But there was a revealing signal at Monday’s post-match presentation, when he said that he was going to continue until he felt a “tap on the shoulder”.
“To me, that was almost like a cry for help. Somewhere deep down, I believe Cook wants the selectors to step in and pull him out of the fire, before it gets so hot that we lose him for good. This is a man with the capacity to score 13,000 Test runs.”
Vaughan said Cook should take a six-month break then attempt to return purely as a batsman. He backed a gamble on Morgan as skipper.
“The England team is crying out for someone with a different viewpoint, and Morgan has a nice manner, a lot of tactical awareness and a strong personality. Clearly, it us would be a risk. We don’t even know whether Morgan has it in him to be a reliable Test performer. But it might be time to throw the dice in the air.”
Bad Sharma - the England batting line-up had no answer to the Indian paceman. Source: AFP
Writing for the Mirror, Dean Wilson said Cook and the ECB were in a state of denial.
“Alastair Cook is facing his darkest days as an England player following a defeat that shoved him ever closer to the trapdoor,” Wilson wrote.
“The fact he remains in charge, and is set to do so until the series is either lost or completed, is because both he and his bosses are in denial over what everyone else can see with their own eyes.
“’I still believe the team needs me to lead them through this tough time,’ said Cook, refusing to accept that they might be easier were he not in charge and simply scoring runs.
“His batting is so fragile he is as close to a walking wicket as any opening batsman should be, and as a captain his authority is as limp as the English and Indians’ flags that hung throughout five balmy days at HQ.
“What else could explain the way in which his team-mates showed a total disregard for their responsibilities as English cricketers and succumbed as meekly as possible to a short-pitched onslaught from Ishant Sharma.”
England quick Stuart Broad had no joy as a batsman either. Source: AP
Writing for the Daily Mail, Sam Peters said Cook’s position was very much on the brink.
“England capitulated in spectacular fashion after lunch to fall to a humiliating 95-run defeat at Lord’s that leaves captain Alastair Cook’s future in grave doubt,” Peters wrote.
“Cook’s team lost six wickets for 50 runs either side of lunch to be bowled out for 223 in one of the most embarrassing displays of his increasingly disastrous spell in charge. England have now lost seven of their last 10 Tests and have not won in that period. It is their worst run in 21 years.
“The England captain, whose batting form has also collapsed, was badly let down by his batsmen again after lunch on day five.”
England veteran Matt Prior may be finished as a Test cricketer. Source: AFP
The other major talking point from England’s defeat was the decision by veteran wicketkeeper Matt Prior to stand down from the rest of the series due to fitness issues
Writing in the Telegraph, Nick Hoult said the decision could finish Prior’s Test career.
“Matt Prior has stepped down voluntarily from Test cricket for the rest of the summer due to fitness problems but Alastair Cook, the captain, has given himself three Tests to turn around England’s fortunes.
“The Telegraph can reveal that Prior told his fellow England players in the dressing room at Lord’s, after the 95-run defeat against India on Monday, that he was withdrawing from international cricket due to a com¬bination of injuries and he did not want to let the team down by playing when not fit.
“Prior is not retiring from cricket but accepts that his decision may signal the end of his international career after 79 Tests for England over the course of seven years.”
That's a bit too much effort for a team you don't support, you need to get yourself a girlfriend/boyfriend

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

yeh copy and paste is so much hard work you :clown:

Katy Perry's Tits
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Katy Perry's Tits »

Then you should quote your source.
Whose buttons can I press today?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Apologies adelaidenow.com.au

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

http://www.espncricinfo.com/natwestseri ... 11645.html
Haunted house adds to Australia's woes
Cricinfo staff

June 22, 2005

The world might have thought they were seeing things when Bangladesh turned the Australians over at Cardiff on Saturday, but that is nothing compared to the apparitions that have confronted the Aussies themselves. They have reportedly been spooked by the legend of 700-year-old ghosts at their ancient hotel in Durham.

"I saw ghosts. I swear I'm telling the truth," Belinda Dennett, Australia's media officer, told The Sun. "Several of the players were uneasy although a lot of them in the morning said they were fine ... but maybe they were just trying to be brave." Shane Watson apparently wasn't one of them. According to the paper, he was so terrified he had to sleep on Brett Lee's floor. Of course he slept on the floor

Dennett elaborated on the ghostly goings-on in unnerving detail. "I closed the blind in my room before I went to bed. But when I was woken at 4am by my phone, the blind was up again. I looked out of the window and saw a procession of white people walking past. It was amazing, very scary.

"Then I returned to bed and the blind went up again - and there was someone looking in through the window. I know I wasn't dreaming because I wrote down the message from my phone and the time. Certainly, when I started to tell my story, a lot of them didn't want to know the details."

Dennett later toned down her remarks, telling Sky Sports that she might have exaggerated a fraction. "It's very different to any hotel we've been at before, so it was initially a bit of a surprise. I know what I thought I saw, I think perhaps the shadows and the moonlight were playing tricks on my mind."

But Lumley has had previous in the spooking stakes. Local folklore says the hotel is haunted by the ghost of a 14th-century aristocrat who was murdered by Catholic priests. The hotel is where the lady of the manor, Lily Lumley, was reputedly thrown down a well by a pair of priests when she rejected the Catholic church. The hotel is full of dark corridors and the medieval atmosphere is enhanced by the staff dressing in period costume.

In 2000, West Indies stayed there during their back-to-back matches against England and Zimbabwe in the NatWest Series, and three of the squad were so scared that they booked out and stayed elsewhere. The rest might have wished they had as well - West Indies lost to England by ten wickets on the Saturday, and the following day Zimbabwe chased 288 with six wickets to spare to dump them out of the tournament.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

What's the problem with Cook, he must be averaging in the 40s for this series.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

THIS SERIESBatting Average: 50.5
Bowling Average: 6

What's the problem?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Thank you and goodnight.
Time for some righteous indignation

Nanotechnology
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nanotechnology »

How is a bowling average calculated?
It's a small world after all

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nanotechnology wrote:How is a bowling average calculated?

Runs conceded divided by wickets taken

Nanotechnology
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nanotechnology »

What's a good average for a bowler?
It's a small world after all

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nanotechnology wrote:What's a good average for a bowler?
Most bowlers would be very happy with 30

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Ill be happy if he conitniues this form for at least the next 12 months

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Derek wrote:Ill be happy if he conitniues this form for at least the next 12 months
No you said he should be dropped.

:lol: :clown:
Time for some righteous indignation

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

He who laughs last, laughs loudest