AFL Season 2014 thread

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AFL Season 2014 thread

Post by Black_Panther »

Bomber wrote:Carlton v Richmond last night - wtf was it with tv director showing Martin's bikey mate in the crowd so often during the telecast? Is he new president at Richmond or something?
I can't believe that in Victoria of all places it's so newsworthy for AFL players to have criminal connections.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Black_Panther wrote:
Bomber wrote:Carlton v Richmond last night - wtf was it with tv director showing Martin's bikey mate in the crowd so often during the telecast? Is he new president at Richmond or something?
I can't believe that in Victoria of all places it's so newsworthy for AFL players to have criminal connections.
Bottom line I don't care who the players' friends are, just dont see the need for the television cameras to hone in on his mate so often. It's virtually giving him "celebrity" status.
Ignore this signature

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Bomber wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Bottom line I don't care who the players' friends are, just dont see the need for the television cameras to hone in on his mate so often. It's virtually giving him "celebrity" status.
that's what I mean - I thought he was Jake Kings mate anyway?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

I thought it was a welcome distraction to what was happening on the field. Wish they panned to a live shot of Martin's dad whenever Warnock was about to kick the ball.

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
I thought it was a welcome distraction to what was happening on the field. Wish they panned to a live shot of Martin's dad whenever Warnock was about to kick the ball.
you wouldve been pulling your hair out last night LFTWNG11 at some of the misses made in the last quarter by Carlton players

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

maxin in the shade wrote:you wouldve been pulling your hair out last night LFTWNG11 at some of the misses made in the last quarter by Carlton players
It wouldn't be so painful if it was't so predictable. Garlett was probably the worst of the lot, he had one in the 3rd and one in the last that were just deplorable. Kick the ball in the air through the sticks, from 10-15-20m out is something even we could manage maxin!

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

robbie warnock... wtf

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Black_Panther wrote:
that's what I mean - I thought he was Jake Kings mate anyway?
Yes, reckon you're right there. Funny that usually when it was Martin who did something of significance, the camera went to the bikey.

And yeah, some woeful football last night, although the desperation of some couldnt be questioned. Its almost as though Gibbs wasnt on the field, until I saw him get that goal from an angle.
Neither side will trouble the top 6 spots on that display.
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Farrrrkin hawks, lucky baaarstads. :x
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

yeah....

lucky, they've lost buddy
lucky mitchell, Lake and sewell were out injured
lucky Hodge was subbed injured
lucky they drafted Rioli
lucky they know how to recruit experienced players to fill gaps (Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson, Hale, Gunston)

etc etc

yeah Lucky....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Power too good.....the noisy (feral) neighbours are on the rise...

Adelaide's non functioning forward line will cost us a place in the 8..... No walker, Lynch and Henderson means we're waiting on Pods to clunk 10 marks a game...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

MegaBonus wrote:Power too good.....the noisy (feral) neighbours are on the rise...

Adelaide's non functioning forward line will cost us a place in the 8..... No walker, Lynch and Henderson means we're waiting on Pods to clunk 10 marks a game...
I had the Crows top 4. Must be the local media brainwashing me. Port just way too fit, should win them a fair few games just on that alone.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Collingwood season has now started.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:yeah....

lucky they drafted Rioli
lucky they know how to recruit experienced players to fill gaps (Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson, Hale, Gunston)

etc etc

yeah Lucky....
I was talking the one game, not their recent history. Even hawks people I know could admit it.
Ignore this signature

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Bomber wrote:

lucky they drafted Rioli

etc etc

yeah Lucky....
I was talking the one game, not their recent history. Even hawks people I know could admit it.
Essendon* were lucky to be in the game at half-time.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Bomber wrote:

lucky they drafted Rioli

etc etc

yeah Lucky....
Essendon* were lucky to be in the game at half-time.
Do half time scores mean anything in any sport? Luckily it means little otherwise Kiwi wouldnt have won the Melbourne Cup in the early 80's when coming last at the half way mark of the race.
Ignore this signature

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

I know they have only played the bulldogs and demons but I'm liking the look of West Coast at the moment. Think Melbourne will win the wooden spoon...they are woeful. 10 goals scored in 2 games

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Makes it even harder for the Dees to get off the bottom of the ladder when GWS and GCS have both improved. Bulldogs are all over the shop too, but should knock off the Dees you'd think.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Bomber wrote:
Do half time scores mean anything in any sport? Luckily it means little otherwise Kiwi wouldnt have won the Melbourne Cup in the early 80's when coming last at the half way mark of the race.
They mean a team had a good first half? Hawthorn should of been up by 10 goals at half-time on the balance of play.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Bomber wrote:
They mean a team had a good first half? Hawthorn should of been up by 10 goals at half-time on the balance of play.
10 goals? Really, with all the possession we had? You're sounding like wabster now. I may as well say we should have been up by 5 or 6 goals at 3/4 time then.
Ignore this signature

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Bomber wrote:
LFTWNG11 wrote:
Bomber wrote:
10 goals? Really, with all the possession we had? You're sounding like wabster now. I may as well say we should have been up by 5 or 6 goals at 3/4 time then.
:wink: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Rucci has anointed the Power as a Top 4 team....he doubles as the media and as a supporter....

mmmm, will be interesting to see if they live up to the hype..

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

MegaBonus wrote:Rucci has anointed the Power as a Top 4 team....he doubles as the media and as a supporter....

Rucci thinks he is a Port fan, sometimes you gotta doubt it though. He isn't the only one who has said Port could be a top 4 team though. Personally I think we're a couple years off being that good.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

it wouldn't surprise me really - port have been very impressive at times. if they can string together 4 quarters against the big boys, you're right up there.

first comes the north melbourne hoodoo though...

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Red-4-Life wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:Rucci has anointed the Power as a Top 4 team....he doubles as the media and as a supporter....

Rucci thinks he is a Port fan, sometimes you gotta doubt it though. He isn't the only one who has said Port could be a top 4 team though. Personally I think we're a couple years off being that good.
Let me tell you something about being a fast up and coming side... you need to strike while the iron is hot. Port are good enough here and now, so they need to take their chances, here and now. Talking about next year, or in two years time is a fallacy.

FWIW, Port should finish top 4 this year. I predicted the Crows too, but I forgot how simple Sanderson is. Port to take their place in my prediction.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:

Let me tell you something about being a fast up and coming side... you need to strike while the iron is hot. Port are good enough here and now, so they need to take their chances, here and now. Talking about next year, or in two years time is a fallacy.

FWIW, Port should finish top 4 this year. I predicted the Crows too, but I forgot how simple Sanderson is. Port to take their place in my prediction.
Thats a big call. I think a home final (top 6) is probably more realistic but I'm confident that this playing group can definitely win 1/2 flags in coming years.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

totsreds08 wrote: Thats a big call. I think a home final (top 6) is probably more realistic but I'm confident that this playing group can definitely win 1/2 flags in coming years.
One of the top 4 will drop out... Port are good enough to make it.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
totsreds08 wrote: Thats a big call. I think a home final (top 6) is probably more realistic but I'm confident that this playing group can definitely win 1/2 flags in coming years.
One of the top 4 will drop out... Port are good enough to make it.
Wont disagree with that, but there is still 20 games to go. To make top 4, we need to knock off Geelong, Freo and Hawks who will play all at home...at least 2 of them.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Has Port been shown up for what they are.....down hill skiers....

Have beaten a weak Carlton and Adelaide...first real test and their mythical fitness and spirit goes missing...

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

MegaBonus wrote:Has Port been shown up for what they are.....down hill skiers....

Have beaten a weak Carlton and Adelaide...first real test and their mythical fitness and spirit goes missing...
:lol: :lol:
Once again I'll say that we beat two teams most predicted to finish higher than us. Today we had an injury to one of our best players. Monfries was dominating today and the injury really took it's toll. We shouldn't have lost given we had more inside 50s but unfortunately our legs ran out and the kangaroos beat us. We will improve next week!
I'd probably worry about the crows. You guys ran 50+kms a week yet after half time, you get rolled.