Winmar Considers joining class action against the AFL!

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Winmar Considers joining class action against the AFL!

Post by Wayne Kerr »

AFL great Nicky Winmar is battling health issues and is considering joining a concussion class action of former AFL players.

Winmar, who played 230 games for St Kilda and 21 for the Western Bulldogs, and has been undergoing tests for issues he believes could be related to a series of head knocks during his storied career. His problems include dizziness and memory loss.

Winmar, 52, said on Monday that he had suffered “six or seven” head knocks while playing, and was concerned by the symptoms.

“I just put things down and I don’t know where I’ve put them,” Winmar told The Age.

He recalled one particularly dramatic incident during a game while playing for the Saints. “Once in a Brisbane game at Waverley the doctor said I stopped breathing,” he said.

Of his intentions to join a class action, Winmar replied: "I have been tested. I am part [of this group]."

Advertisement

Winmar, 52, is one of about 30 past players in the frame to be part of a planned class action against the AFL.

Brownlow medallist John Platten, Essendon premiership ruckman John Barnes and renowned aerialist Shaun Smith have all publicly detailed their health battles and intentions to take the league to court over claimed neurological impairment. Barnes is set to be the lead plaintiff while dual Brownlow medallist Greg Williams has also been linked to the potential case.

Winmar’s long-time manager Peter Jess explained that Winmar was still in the early stages of his testing.

“The initial testing said that [Nicky] had some abnormalities, and we’re going to test those further,” Jess said.

“We’ve been in constant contact over the last three or four years with multiple signs of impairment such as loss of balance, temporary memory loss. Problems with a whole range of other medical conditions that could well be linked back to his repetitive head knocks when he was playing football. The initial testing shows that there are some abnormalities and we’re awaiting further testing to confirm that he’ll be part of the class action or not.”

Veteran player agent Jess, who has long been outspoken on concussion, said a team of researchers were looking through footage of Winmar’s career to identify incidents that may have led to his health issues.

Winmar survived a heart attack in 2012 and has since been an advocate for indigenous health.

A member of St Kilda’s team of the century, he is probably best remembered for taking a stand against racism from Collingwood supporters at Victoria Park in 1993 by raising his jumper and pointing to his skin in what has become an iconic image.

Winmar last year opened up about his heart attack and the changes he had since made in his life.

"At the time I had to change a lot of my dieting, the way you use salts in your food, alcohol, smoking. Those were the sacrifices you have to do as well, which don't come easily," Winmar said.

"You've got to make that choice if you want to fulfil the rest of your life. I'm 52 this year and hopefully [for] another 10 or 15 years I'll still be around."

The league has moved to tighten its concussion protocols in recent years, including fining clubs when procedures are not followed. The AFL also has implemented several concussion-related initiatives, including holding an annual concussion audit, investigating the efficacy of headgear in preventing concussion, scanning past and current players through the Florey Institute of technology, and having players participate in a sensor head knock assessment last year. The league also collaborates on research with other codes, and is working with Murdoch Children's Research Institute on a community concussion project.

Neither the AFL, AFL Players' Association, Saints nor Bulldogs wished to comment when contacted on Monday.
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Winmar Considers joining class action against the AFL!

Post by Bomber »

Does anyone force people to play sport? Did Winmar (and the rest) get paid nicely for his choice of sport?

Almost like a boxer trying to sue their own federation.

One day people might actually take responsibility for their own actions - I probably wont be around to see that day.
Ignore this signature

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Winmar Considers joining class action against the AFL!

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Bomber wrote:Does anyone force people to play sport? Did Winmar (and the rest) get paid nicely for his choice of sport?

Almost like a boxer trying to sue their own federation.

One day people might actually take responsibility for their own actions - I probably wont be around to see that day.

Never.... not in today's society
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!