So-called 'International' Rules games in Ireland

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

So-called 'International' Rules games in Ireland

Post by Con M »

I wonder if the AFL is going to keep throwing money at future games like this.

Apparently the Irish are not happy. Some of the issues raised about what commentators have referred to as a junket have been:

* Buddy Franklin joined the squad late before the 1st game, then can't play in the 2nd one as he is going to a wedding (that he must have known about ages ago).

* There are 2 players who have retired from the AFL yet are in this squad, as are 2 players yet to play a league game in the AFL.

* The Irish are amazed that this squad is down to 20 players for this 15-a-side second game, when they surely could have picked a 23-man-squad like they were allowed to have. How hard was it to choose 23 out of 700 AFL professional players to play their Irish amateurs they are asking.

* No one seems to know how the 1st game loss shown on Channel 7 at dawn on Sunday morning (20/10) rated.

* Apparently there was a huge booze-up after the first game defeat and Australian players were very rowdy turning up at their team hotel in the early hours.

Number 2 AFL man Gillon McLachlan is over in Ireland and will need to ask some hard questions about future series such as this.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: So-called 'International' Rules games in Ireland

Post by Delete Your Account »

What's your point?

Surely the AFL can do whatever they like to promote this game.

We all know it's a junket, but hey, I couldn't care less.

There might be 800+ AFL players, but not all are qualified to play for the indigenous side.

Electrafixion
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Electrafixion »

Bacon888 wrote:the indigenous side.
This is where I lost interest.
Burned

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

It's become a joke and Australia has become uncompetitive in the last few series, nothing like what it used to be. The Irish will always have the advantage as it is more like Gaelic than it is AFL. Why doesn't the All-Australian team go, after all they are the BEST players in the AFL.

Make it interesting, play with a footy :wink:

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Red-4-Life wrote:It's become a joke and Australia has become uncompetitive in the last few series, nothing like what it used to be. The Irish will always have the advantage as it is more like Gaelic than it is AFL. Why doesn't the All-Australian team go, after all they are the BEST players in the AFL.

Make it interesting, play with a footy :wink:

I have said it all along, they should play 1 half with the round ball and the other with the eggball
then it will be interesting

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

The main reason for the junket is coz the AFL get paid quite handsomely for this series, especially when in its Ireland coz they get bigger crowds

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

bubu wrote: I have said it all along, they should play 1 half with the round ball and the other with the eggball

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

The AFL get half the gate takings - $$$$

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Rookie wrote:The main reason for the junket is coz the AFL get paid quite handsomely for this series, especially when in its Ireland coz they get bigger crowds
Only 17k at the first game?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Whole series is a joke.

What is next AFL World Cup with Australia winning it?

Poltergeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Poltergeist »

ozzie owl wrote:What is next AFL World Cup with Australia winning it?
There is a world cup, and no australia didn't win it.
redmum wrote:I don't believe anyone on here is not Bodø......

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Poltergeist wrote:

PNG won it didn't they, therefore they are the best aussie rules team in the world. Australia must be cabernet they weren't even in it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bacon888 wrote:There might be 800+ AFL players, but not all are qualified to play for the indigenous side.

that's racist!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Poltergeist wrote:
They don't compete in it.

International rules is like baseball and 20/20 cricket merging into a new game, pointless excercise.

Poltergeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Poltergeist »

ozzie owl wrote:
Poltergeist wrote:
They don't compete in it.
Who said they did?
redmum wrote:I don't believe anyone on here is not Bodø......

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Second game in Dublin: Eire 116-37.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

On the AFL's flagship TV stations news reports, it was relegated to after all the A League and EPL highlights and just before the even more boring F1......says it all....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Con M wrote:Second game in Dublin: Eire 116-37.
biggest margin ever in a series, I dont think there has ever been an aggregate margin in the 2 games that big :shock:

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

MegaBonus wrote:On the AFL's flagship TV stations news reports, it was relegated to after all the A League and EPL highlights and just before the even more boring F1......says it all....

I didnt even see them show the scores.....

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

International rules= WOFT.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

The AFL are mugs persisting with this Irish series. And they're lucky the race thing didn't rear it's ugly head. Imagine if the selection criteria had been white anglo-saxons only and not indigenous players only like this time.

IMO they should accept that they don't have an international profile and concentrate on reviving an Origin series, similar to the successful NRL Origin thing.

Victorians don't care, so what could work in alternate years is S.A. versus Victoria in Adelaide, then W.A. versus Victoria in Perth the next year. They could play on a Tuesday night in May so clubs don't bleat about injuries to their stars. Besides, surely the he-men of AFL could put up with a few bumps and bruises on a Tuesday night and still come up ok for their club the following Sunday. The NRL NSW & QLD guys involved in the brutal Origin Series do it, don't they?

ps, after Lord Demetriou is booted out, the next AFL chief should have a long hard look at the international dept expenditure in the AFL Ivory Tower, stop spending all that TV dough trying to spread the gospel overseas like demented missionaries, and try and concentrate on furthering their code in the big eastern states of NSW (population 7.29-million) & QLD (pop. 4.56-million) which are almost totally NRL orientated.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:The AFL are mugs persisting with this Irish series. And they're lucky the race thing didn't rear it's ugly head. Imagine if the selection criteria had been white anglo-saxons only and not indigenous players only like this time.

IMO they should accept that they don't have an international profile and concentrate on reviving an Origin series, similar to the successful NRL Origin thing.

Victorians don't care, so what could work in alternate years is S.A. versus Victoria in Adelaide, then W.A. versus Victoria in Perth the next year. They could play on a Tuesday night in May so clubs don't bleat about injuries to their stars. Besides, surely the he-men of AFL could put up with a few bumps and bruises on a Tuesday night and still come up ok for their club the following Sunday. The NRL NSW & QLD guys involved in the brutal Origin Series do it, don't they?

ps, after Lord Demetriou is booted out, the next AFL chief should have a long hard look at the international dept expenditure in the AFL Ivory Tower, stop spending all that TV dough trying to spread the gospel overseas like demented missionaries, and try and concentrate on furthering their code in the big eastern states of NSW (population 7.29-million) & QLD (pop. 4.56-million) which are almost totally NRL orientated.
Con the AFL is already ploughing mega millions funding GSW and Gold Coast, over ten the next ten years it could reach $100m.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote:
Con M wrote:The AFL are mugs persisting with this Irish series. And they're lucky the race thing didn't rear it's ugly head. Imagine if the selection criteria had been white anglo-saxons only and not indigenous players only like this time.

Con the AFL is already ploughing mega millions funding GSW and Gold Coast, over ten the next ten years it could reach $100m.
Yeah, true ozzie owl. But I suppose the mugs have so much of the billion + TV dollars, they can waste it on spreading the faith in places like South Africa (where the whites are rusted on to Rugby Union & cricket and the blacks are rusted on to soccer-football), instead of pouring even more into the Greater Sydney Dwarfs & the Golden Coast Glitter.

ps, ever wondered how many employed now in AFL house, including their 'international dept' plotting conquest of the code throughout the World before they've converted all of the nearly 12-million people in NSW & QLD?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bacon888 wrote:There might be 800+ AFL players, but not all are qualified to play for the indigenous side.

that's racist!
So a side was selected to play that was based purely on the colour of their skin? Didn't South Africa get a ban for that?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Arturo Ui
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Arturo Ui »

Black_Panther wrote:

that's racist!
So a side was selected to play that was based purely on the colour of their skin? Didn't South Africa get a ban for that?
Cry me a river white boy.
Beware of satirical imitations

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Arturo Ui wrote:Cry me a river white boy.
you of all people I would have thought would understand the plight suffered by white, saxon, protestant, straight males

Monder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Monder »

:lol:
Like I need a keyboard

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

you of all people I would have thought would understand the plight suffered by white, saxon, protestant, straight males
You're assuming he is straight.....
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:
Well I've met his wife and one of his children, but elton john was married once so poibt taken.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Black_Panther wrote:

Well I've met his wife and one of his children, but elton john was married once so poibt taken.

that describes u in a nut-shell, except u have an ex-wife and currently single....
:lol: