My AFL Questions And Queries Thread

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

My AFL Questions And Queries Thread

Post by Nervous Norvus »

I don't know much about this game but recently have noticed on the broadcasts that teams list interchange and a sub. What is the difference? I presume a sub can only be used once but is there any criteria to which they can/can't be used?
Last edited by Nervous Norvus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: AFL Interchange and Subs

Post by Delete Your Account »

Nervous Norvus wrote:I don't know much about this game but recently have noticed on the broadcasts that teams list interchange and a sub. What is the difference? I presume a sub can only be used once but is there any criteria to which they can/can't be used?
Interchange bench of 3 can be used at any stage. The one substitute (in a green vest) has to be activated, by substituting out a player, and they cannot return (signalled by wearing a red vest). The substitute player then joins as any other.

There is a clause regarding concussions. If a player has a suspected concussion, you can temporarily (20 minutes) play the substitute in their place, but they return to the green vest if the injured player passes the concussion tests.

The substitute rule has only been around for 3 seasons now (and the concussion rule was introduced this year).

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Thank you. Your explanation makes much more sense than the one from red-4-life.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Nervous Norvus wrote:Thank you. Your explanation makes much more sense than the one from red-4-life.
I never even commented on here regarding that topic ya muppet

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Red-4-Life wrote:
Nervous Norvus wrote:Thank you. Your explanation makes much more sense than the one from red-4-life.
Um, yes you did. Click the link, you muppet.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Bacon888 wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:
I did...stuff about the AFL-NRL scheduling clash

Bodø's Publicist
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Bodø's Publicist »

red-4-life muppet
R.I.P
Stuff And Stuff About Stuff

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Red-4-Life wrote:
Bacon888 wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:I never even commented on here regarding that topic ya muppet
I did...stuff about the AFL-NRL scheduling clash
Your reply never mentioned that either.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: My AFL Questions And Queries Thread

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Next question: when the umpire awards a free kick does the player impeded have to take it, or can it be done by any of his team mates?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nervous Norvus wrote:Next question: when the umpire awards a free kick does the player impeded have to take it, or can it be done by any of his team mates?
He is expected to take it, however if it is clear he is unable to do so (injury, blood rule etc) then the umpire can pass it to the team-mate nearest the play.
Ignore this signature

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

How is the time of play calculated in the SANFL? In the AFL is seems to count down and stop when the ball is out of play so you know exactly how much play is left, but the SANFL seems to count up from zero and different quarters of different length suggests some stoppage time is added. How long should an actual quarter be?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nervous Norvus wrote:Next question:
If you are new to the game I would have thought you would have some questions that stump even some forumites here who have grown up with it, like:

1) Why does the AFL award 4 points for a win & 2 for a draw, when the SANFL gives 2 for a win & 1 for a draw;

2) on the above issue regarding consistency of rules/laws, how come AFL has a 50-metre rule and the SANFL a 25-metre one for transgressions;

3) how come the SANFL & SAAFL has a send-off rule and the AFL hasn't;

4) With THREE central umpires how do they work out the unfathomable holding-the-ball rule with any consistency;

5) How come the umpire points the wrong way when he awards a free-kick? Shouldn't he be signalling to kick it towards the transgressor's goal?

and on a minor note,

6) why do players have to wear long socks if 98% have them untidily down around their ankles? As part of the player's uniform, wouldn't it be better to decree they can wear short anklet socks and that long socks are optional? (Apparently a lot of players were scissoring off the long socks at the ankle until they were ordered not to).

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Con M wrote:
If you are new to the game I would have thought you would have some questions that stump even some forumites here who have grown up with it, like:

1) Why does the AFL award 4 points for a win & 2 for a draw, when the SANFL gives 2 for a win & 1 for a draw;

2) on the above issue regarding consistency of rules/laws, how come AFL has a 50-metre rule and the SANFL a 25-metre one for transgressions;

4) With THREE central umpires how do they work out the unfathomable holding-the-ball rule with any consistency;

5) How come the umpire points the wrong way when he awards a free-kick? Shouldn't he be signalling to kick it towards the transgressor's goal?

and on a minor note,

6) why do players have to wear long socks if 98% have them untidily down around their ankles? As part of the player's uniform, wouldn't it be better to decree they can wear short anklet socks and that long socks are optional?
1) Why does it matter? The ratio is the same.

2) The original penalty was 15metres, which the AFL thought wasn't sufficient enough of a penalty, so they made it 50, as the distance of a long kick. Maybe in the SANFL a kick doesn't travel as far. Again, it's not a big deal.

3) They don't see the need?

4) Do you always see a foul the same as the guy next to you? Interpretation happens in any sport.

5) He points the way the player must line up. It's the same when they take a mark - the umpires lines up the player by pointing the line where he must kick from.

6) No.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Points 1-3, shouldn't a game that's only within Australia at least have consistency in it's rules and laws?

And yes in point 4, interpretations can differ. But why not diminish that and just have TWO fit central umpires? In soccer-football they trialled 2 referees (1 in each half), but jettisoned it because of the inconsistent interpretations.

Yes, an aussie rules oval is much bigger - but two fit central umpires could cover it. And fans would still be bamboozled by the UNFATHOMABLE holding-the-ball rule.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Bacon888 wrote:
Con M wrote:

and on a minor note,

6) why do players have to wear long socks if 98% have them untidily down around their ankles? As part of the player's uniform, wouldn't it be better to decree they can wear short anklet socks and that long socks are optional?
1) Why does it matter? The ratio is the same.

2) The original penalty was 15metres, which the AFL thought wasn't sufficient enough of a penalty, so they made it 50, as the distance of a long kick. Maybe in the SANFL a kick doesn't travel as far. Again, it's not a big deal.

4) Do you always see a foul the same as the guy next to you? Interpretation happens in any sport.

5) He points the way the player must line up. It's the same when they take a mark - the umpires lines up the player by pointing the line where he must kick from.

6) No.
Okay,
1) I asked this in another thread along with the calculation of percentage.
2) Just assumed it was like when kids play in various age groups the goals get bigger. Soccer does this too.
3) Hadn't noticed there was a send off rule.
4) What Bacon said. You couldn't expect one umpire to control the whole pitch of that size.
5) Often wondered the same but again Bacon has explained why they do it, although not all marks seem to be kicked over the mark.
6) No different to players having short or long sleeves

Another question I thought of today is the pitch markings. Does the 50m line actually serve a purpose other than show the distance from the goal? What about the centre square?

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Anyway Con, you should like the AFL... four points for a win :P

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nervous Norvus wrote:
Bacon888 wrote:

1) Why does it matter? The ratio is the same. That's not an answer. Consistency throughout the game is what I'm getting at.

2) The original penalty was 15metres, which the AFL thought wasn't sufficient enough of a penalty, so they made it 50, as the distance of a long kick. Maybe in the SANFL a kick doesn't travel as far. What?? Doesn't travel as far? Again, consistency of rules throughout the sport is surely basic.

What? Once again where is the consistency. Do people really want to see a player like that Brisbane one going around bashing in the Grand final and NOT sent off like that terrible transgressor in one of the SANFL matches? Once again, consistency of rules throughout the game.

4) Do you always see a foul the same as the guy next to you? No, but that is why soccer-football trialled 2 refs and discarded it. Aussie Rules could reduce the glaring inconsistencies of THREE central umpires by just having two fit ones, albeit covering a larger area.

5) He points the way the player must line up. It's the same when they take a mark - the umpires lines up the player by pointing the line where he must kick from. Thank you for explaining that one. I didn't know that. But does the ump really need to 'line up' a player marking at his own half-back area?
6) No.
Why no? May as well be done with it if the majority play with socks untidily down and give players what they wanted when they were scissoring off the long socks - let them wear short 'anklet' socks.

Okay,
1) I asked this in another thread along with the calculation of percentage.
see above
2) Just assumed it was like when kids play in various age groups the goals get bigger. Soccer does this too.
What? See above re consistency of rules. I'm talking about SENIOR leagues.
3) Hadn't noticed there was a send off rule.
Definitely a send-off rule in the SANFL, let alone in the lawless amateur leagues. see above - do you really want to see an AFL player dangerously bash 3 or 4 opponents and NOT get sent off?
4) What Bacon said. You couldn't expect one umpire to control the whole pitch of that size.
I didn't say one umpire - I said TWO fit ones could do it and it would cut down on inconsistent interpretations by a third.
5) Often wondered the same but again Bacon has explained why they do it, although not all marks seem to be kicked over the mark.
I accepted Bacon's explanation, but it still looks odd to many neutrals, pointing what looks like in the wrong direction or 'lining up' a player who has marked in his half-back area.
6) No different to players having short or long sleeves
IMO opinion can't compare long or short sleeves to socks untidily down.

Another question I thought of today is the pitch markings. Does the 50m line actually serve a purpose other than show the distance from the goal? Don't know. Maybe it gives the statisticians something to do when players enter the 50M zone..What about the centre square? Don't know. Isn't it to keep too many from being in there at bounce-down, turning it into a shambles? Sort of an 'offside' area for some players?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

The answer to all of the above is SANFL and AFL is governed by 2 different bodies, they can do what they want.

It's the same as different leagues throughout Europe having different rules for soccer. For example (I will give Holland as an example as I know that league best),in Holland you are not allowed to talk to the referee unless you are the captain. Furthermore, they have brought in goal-line technology for "big" games this season. This isn't the same everywhere else.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ruud wrote:The answer to all of the above is SANFL and AFL is governed by 2 different bodies, they can do what they want.

They shouldn't be able to. There should be one main over-arching authority on the game, especially so when aussie rules is only in Australia.

Similar to the International F.A. Board (IFAB) in soccer-football where it is always stated after that Board's annual March AGM that any changes it brings in "all Confederations and Associations shall be bound by the IFAB's decisions".

It's the same as different leagues throughout Europe having different rules for soccer. For example (I will give Holland as an example as I know that league best),in Holland you are not allowed to talk to the referee unless you are the captain. Furthermore, they have brought in goal-line technology for "big" games this season. This isn't the same everywhere else.
True, there are always minor deviating by some F.A.'s and I like that captain's one you quoted, Ruud. I have heard that one being enforced elsewhere too so the referee isn't mobbed and retains his authority. I don't think it is quoted anywhere in the LOTG. It's an informal, but good protocol to have.

And I agree that with the introduction of GLT it's created a 2-tier game where a village team isn't going to have GLT like a big city club.

But in the main, the core Laws-of-the-Game are adhered to by 209 FIFA member nations. Offside, send-offs etc etc.

In aussie rules it's a hotch-potch - send-offs/no send-offs, 50-metre rule/25-metre rule, 4 points for a win/2 points for a win, etc etc.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nervous Norvus wrote:Anyway Con, you should like the AFL... four points for a win :P
Now don't be like that, Nervous Norvus.

There's a certain community radio soccer-football show host who tries to flippantly pin that on me.
I've told him and told him, but can't get through that suggesting soccer-football awards 4 points for a win has absolutely nothing to do with the coincidence that the confused AFL awards 4 points for a win. (ps, they can't even remember why it doubled it from 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw).

My suggestion for soccer-football to trial increasing from 3 points for a win to 4 points was based on the same principle as when it was increased from 2 points for a win to 3 - that is to encourage teams and scared coaches to attack. IMO most coaches don't care about entertainment or the good of the game. They are there to get results and survive. But if the system had a 4 points for a win and only 1 point for a draw, that would set the cat amongst the coaching pigeons.

Nothing fancy, nothing complicated or bonus points for extra goals etc etc. Just trial 4 points for a win, leaving draws at an unattractive lowly 1 point and see what comes of that. You might remember last A-League season even the Wanderers' and Mariners' coaches publicly admitted they played for draws in Perth and Wellington respectively. That was just not good enough IMO.

ps Nervous, as for your gentle swipe that I should like AFL, again don't be like that. I think aussie rules is a dynamic, if at times random and shambolic game. It's random because of the shape and bounce of the ball and it's chaotic because it's got too many players congesting the play. They should but won't trial reducing to 16 players. I played it at Primary School and High School, but I'm glad I chose soccer-football as my preferred sport - the beautiful International game!

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

What's the difference between a question and query?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Rednom wrote:What's the difference between a question and query?
inquiring minds need to know.
Time for some righteous indignation

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

I'm just covering all bases.

Next question: After Fremantle beat Carlton on the weekend they played the Fremantle song over the tannoy. Is it common for AFL grounds to play away team's club songs if they win?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Nervous Norvus wrote:I'm just covering all bases.

Next question: After Fremantle beat Carlton on the weekend they played the Fremantle song over the tannoy. Is it common for AFL grounds to play away team's club songs if they win?
Yes, winning team song always played after the match, irrespective of home/away status.

The Bloods
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Bloods »

Con M wrote:2) The original penalty was 15metres, which the AFL thought wasn't sufficient enough of a penalty, so they made it 50, as the distance of a long kick. Maybe in the SANFL a kick doesn't travel as far. What?? Doesn't travel as far? Again, consistency of rules throughout the sport is surely basic.

What? See above re consistency of rules. I'm talking about SENIOR leagues.
Obviously players at different levels don't have the same strenghts. The goalposts at West Adelaide are very small (heightwise) compared to those at the AFL grounds.
Who plays Zoë in the Toyota means business commercials?

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Bacon888 wrote:
Nervous Norvus wrote:I don't know much about this game but recently have noticed on the broadcasts that teams list interchange and a sub. What is the difference? I presume a sub can only be used once but is there any criteria to which they can/can't be used?
Interchange bench of 3 can be used at any stage. The one substitute (in a green vest) has to be activated, by substituting out a player, and they cannot return (signalled by wearing a red vest). The substitute player then joins as any other.

There is a clause regarding concussions. If a player has a suspected concussion, you can temporarily (20 minutes) play the substitute in their place, but they return to the green vest if the injured player passes the concussion tests.

The substitute rule has only been around for 3 seasons now (and the concussion rule was introduced this year).
Going back to this, what sort of player would you keep for your substitute? Surely your better players on the bench would be better used as an interchange making them free to come on/off as needed?

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Why do goal umpires pat their shoulder prior to signaling a behind?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Nervous Norvus wrote:Why do goal umpires pat their shoulder prior to signaling a behind?
That's a very good question.

I can only assume it's so the opposite goal umpire can see him, and ready his flag to wave the score.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Nervous Norvus wrote:Why do goal umpires pat their shoulder prior to signaling a behind?
They are basically saying "mine" or "my call" as a signal to boundary umpires

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

The fifty metre line always had a 50 in it but this weekend I have noticed there is just a 0. Is there a reason for this?