My AFL Questions And Queries Thread

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Re: My AFL Questions And Queries Thread

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Kids are lazy these days, they'll abbreviate and shorten anything.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Ironically to remove the 5 actually would have meant doing some work.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Taking a leaf out of one of Con's quotes, why no names on AFL shirts? :P
Con M wrote:On a minor note, once again last night there were no player names on the Socceroos' shirts.

There would have been a good-size national audience on live FoxTV & SBS (delayed). Not all of that audience would have been regular soccer-football supporters, but plenty of mainstream neutrals who would have tuned in because there was no other sport live on a quiet Tuesday evening in Australia.

Not all of those neutral mainstream viewers would have known the OZ players' names. What would have it cost/hurt for some FFA underling to have organized this getting of the names on those shirts? Say $12 per shirt? An average of 12 letters per name per shirt? Japan had the names in English on their players' shirts and they don't even speak/read/write English.

Cue the critics about this minor attention to detail, but IMO slack and not good enough by the FFA underlings.

The Bloods
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Bloods »

Blueblood wrote:
Nervous Norvus wrote:Why do goal umpires pat their shoulder prior to signaling a behind?
They are basically saying "mine" or "my call" as a signal to boundary umpires
How about in this situation? This had nothing to do with the boundary umpire. Also tapping the should suggests it is always going to be a behind.
Who plays Zoë in the Toyota means business commercials?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

It's to avoid confusion when the goal umpire signals a behind within the goal posts. The field and boundary umpires could get confused if the goal umpire is signalling a goal or point as their vision may be impaired by players being in the way.
When the ball passes across the goal or behind line resulting in a behind, and the boundary umpires are not by the behind posts, the goal umpire will clearly tap their chest three times. This will indicate to the boundary umpires that if the goal umpire receives an "all clear" from the field umpire, they will be signalling a behind, therefore informing the boundary umpires that they do not have to run to the goal area to pick up the ball.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Thank you. You learn something new every day.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Nervous Norvus wrote:The fifty metre line always had a 50 in it but this weekend I have noticed there is just a 0. Is there a reason for this?
Bit late, but it was part of the Motor Accident Commission's "Wipe off 5" campaign.

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

In tonight's game the umpire awarded Geelong a free kick with the reason being "unrealistic attempt at a mark". Why is that a free kick?

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Nervous Norvus wrote:In tonight's game the umpire awarded Geelong a free kick with the reason being "unrealistic attempt at a mark". Why is that a free kick?
You aren't allowed to attempt a mark where you just obstruct an opponent player from touching the ball without touching it yourself. You have to touch the ball for it to be considered fair.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

The Bloods wrote:
Blueblood wrote:
Nervous Norvus wrote:Why do goal umpires pat their shoulder prior to signaling a behind?
They are basically saying "mine" or "my call" as a signal to boundary umpires
How about in this situation? This had nothing to do with the boundary umpire. Also tapping the should suggests it is always going to be a behind.
just as a follow up to this... its also used to show the type of behind it is (gone through the behind posts) as there are many different types

there are different signals for touched and hit the post

The Bloods
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Bloods »

Mind you, that should have been called a goal. I was at the game and it certainly looked like a goal to me.
Who plays Zoë in the Toyota means business commercials?

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

Kicking in danger... surely it can't be helped if the opposition throws his hands down as a player is about to kick the ball.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

thats why players are encouraged to pick up the ball before kicking it

Royal Blues
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Royal Blues »

Nervous Norvus wrote:How is the time of play calculated in the SANFL? In the AFL is seems to count down and stop when the ball is out of play so you know exactly how much play is left, but the SANFL seems to count up from zero and different quarters of different length suggests some stoppage time is added. How long should an actual quarter be?
The WAFL also counts up and you are left with no idea of how much time is added.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Royal Blues wrote:
Nervous Norvus wrote:How is the time of play calculated in the SANFL? In the AFL is seems to count down and stop when the ball is out of play so you know exactly how much play is left, but the SANFL seems to count up from zero and different quarters of different length suggests some stoppage time is added. How long should an actual quarter be?
The WAFL also counts up and you are left with no idea of how much time is added.
time goes up in the AFL aswell

the time going down is only for tv

Fatty In A Nappy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fatty In A Nappy »

The siren always goes on zero so it's a much better system. You know when time is up.
Otherwise known as Buddha

Nervous Norvus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nervous Norvus »

By having a designated "indigenous" round aren't the afl themselves racist?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nervous Norvus wrote:By having a designated "indigenous" round aren't the afl themselves racist?
Yes, but you cant say that otherwise you'll be incarcerated - a bit like if you mention west adelaide around here and the mods arent satisfied...........
Ignore this signature

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Nervous Norvus wrote:By having a designated "indigenous" round aren't the afl themselves racist?
Racist!

When is White Bread round?