Essendon in strife

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Essendon in strife

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bacon888 wrote:A VFL player was banned for 18 months for buying some PE drugs. He didn't even USE them.

It's called "the rules"
So they won't ban you if you test positive for a banned substance but they will ban you even though you haven't tested positive.

Sounds like the afl have a very good drugs policy there!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bacon888 wrote:A VFL player was banned for 18 months for buying some PE drugs. He didn't even USE them.

It's called "the rules"
So they won't ban you if you test positive for a banned substance but they will ban you even though you haven't tested positive.

Sounds like the afl have a very SHITE drugs policy there!

edited for u

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

It's called "the rules"

Sounds like the afl have a very good drugs policy there!
The AFL drug policy, and the three strike rule, relates to illicit or recreational drugs.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/ ... RENT_2.pdf

I'm pretty sure if someone tested positive to a performance enhancing, they'd get banned straight away. But the AFL doesn't test for that, ASADA do.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/ ... Code_2.pdf

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

bubu wrote:

It's called "the rules"

Sounds like the afl have a very SHITE drugs policy there!

edited for u
Name another sport that tests for illicit drugs

Petro83
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Petro83 »

Petro83 wrote:at the end of the day id rather be the crows or the bombers than the pathetic club called port power :)

port have won a title this millenium, when was the last time crows won one?

port have some history and I believe they are the most succesful club in australian sport v a plastic club that was made up only a few years ago.
oh god here we go again! *vomit* get rid of the 1870 crap on ya jumper! idiot! port power entered the comp in 1997! new team new comp!
the crows won their first flag in 7 yrs, took port 8, we have two flags you have 1! and dont give me crap about "won a flag this century crap.. cos the flags were only 6 years apart.

Port adel are the ba$tard child of SA footy. they are a discgrace and its showing on and off the field. the crows are aproud strong club with cash and supporters. just look at your crowds last year! DISGARCE!

Petro83
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Petro83 »

Jay Walking wrote:
Petro83 wrote:at the end of the day id rather be the crows or the bombers than the pathetic club called port power :)

port have some history and I believe they are the most succesful club in australian sport v a plastic club that was made up only a few years ago.
No, the Port Magpies are the most successful Aussie Rules Club.

Crows have over 20 years of history.
Thank you JAY WALKING.

Port power 15 years historu
Crows 22 years history.

always rememer the power killed the magpies :)

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Petro83 wrote:

oh god here we go again! *vomit* get rid of the 1870 crap on ya jumper! idiot! port power entered the comp in 1997! new team new comp!
the crows won their first flag in 7 yrs, took port 8, we have two flags you have 1! and dont give me crap about "won a flag this century crap.. cos the flags were only 6 years apart.

Port adel are the ba$tard child of SA footy. they are a discgrace and its showing on and off the field. the crows are aproud strong club with cash and supporters. just look at your crowds last year! DISGARCE!

U DO realise that GIAE is NOT an AFL follower, let alone a Power supporter???
u :clown:

as for the crows - yeah their a bunch of CHEATS!!!!!!!

:lol:
#Tippettgate

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Jay Walking wrote:
Bomber wrote:I assume AFL test all players during the season. I assume Essendon players were found to be clean as other players at other clubs during 2012. What does that say about the testing procedures if they were on something banned? More egg on AFL faces, hence they have to shift the blame.
If and I stress the word if, Essendon players were taking something illegal but weren't caught, why is it the AFL's fault or egg of their face. Surely the people taking the stuff are the problem. The AFL doesn't test for performance enhancing drugs, ASDA do
Then ASDA arent very good are they. Perhaps some sackings need to be directed there if they cant detect these so-called "substances".
As for masking agents - havent they found a way to test for these too now?
Ignore this signature

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Bomber wrote:
Jay Walking wrote:
Bomber wrote:I assume AFL test all players during the season. I assume Essendon players were found to be clean as other players at other clubs during 2012. What does that say about the testing procedures if they were on something banned? More egg on AFL faces, hence they have to shift the blame.
If and I stress the word if, Essendon players were taking something illegal but weren't caught, why is it the AFL's fault or egg of their face. Surely the people taking the stuff are the problem. The AFL doesn't test for performance enhancing drugs, ASDA do
Then ASDA arent very good are they. Perhaps some sackings need to be directed there if they cant detect these so-called "substances".
As for masking agents - havent they found a way to test for these too now?
Still no proof yet and the criminals are always in front.

They keep samples so that when the technology/test is discovered/created, they can retest.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Shane Warne was done for using a masking agent. Never tested positivie to a performance enhancing drug

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

IMHO the AFL saw a preliminary report and went into pre-emptive damage control.

Today – report released slamming Aus sport and implicating AFL and one club for team-based doping
Tuesday – Essendon fess up to team based doping.
Last week – Collingwood players admitted to illicit drug use
2 weeks ago – AFL had an ad-hoc drug summit

I’d say the cat got let out of the bag a few weeks ago on the down low and we’re seeing it massaged through the media the way the AFL wants.
Better to be in control of a bad situation than caught by surprise.

And, Adrian Anderson resigned out of the blue in December. When the top job surely could have been his if he stuck it out for a couple more years.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

The Kop wrote:IMHO the AFL saw a preliminary report and went into pre-emptive damage control.

Today – report released slamming Aus sport and implicating AFL and one club for team-based doping
Tuesday – Essendon fess up to team based doping.
Last week – Collingwood players admitted to illicit drug use
2 weeks ago – AFL had an ad-hoc drug summit

I’d say the cat got let out of the bag a few weeks ago on the down low and we’re seeing it massaged through the media the way the AFL wants.
Better to be in control of a bad situation than caught by surprise.
For sure. They AFL would have had an idea what was going on some time ago.

It still doesn't look good though.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

no, never try to cheat, ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Next step I rkn, find a scapegoat(s) and try and spin that it’s not systemic problem.

Dominate headlines with positive messages about tackling the problem, steal some newspaper space off Victory as it looks like they’ll go deep in the finals right up to round 1.

But all it takes is someone like Aker to open his trap and it could unravel.

Word going round that Geelong were on the juice as well.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Red-4-Life wrote:Image

Headlines are not quotes.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jay Walking wrote:Shane Warne was done for using a masking agent. Never tested positivie to a performance enhancing drug
Barossa Pearl - you lose weight it enhances your performance.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jay Walking wrote: Name another sport that tests for illicit drugs
Football - if not why did rio ferdinand "forget" his drugs test? Are you suggesting that an olympic athlete could be juiced up on coke and no one would notice. Also, rugby - wendall sailor got a 2 year ban for cocaine.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Jay Walking wrote:Shane Warne was done for using a masking agent. Never tested positivie to a performance enhancing drug
Even in sumo wrestling?

Petro83
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Petro83 »

FAIL

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Petro83 wrote:

Crows cheated and got caught = FAIL

there u go, corrected if for U!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

The Kop wrote:Next step I rkn, find a scapegoat(s) and try and spin that it’s not systemic problem.

Dominate headlines with positive messages about tackling the problem, steal some newspaper space off Victory as it looks like they’ll go deep in the finals right up to round 1.

I knew it, 2007 GF should be scrapped or reversed and given to the Powaaaa!
:wink:

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

It wasn't on the list of performance enhancing substances but it could be used as a masking agent, thats why it was banned.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Football - if not why did rio ferdinand "forget" his drugs test? Are you suggesting that an olympic athlete could be juiced up on coke and no one would notice. Also, rugby - wendall sailor got a 2 year ban for cocaine.
In Australia, the AFL are the only governing body that test out of season for illicet drugs. They don't test for steriods etc. Do the Premier League or FA test for speed, cocaine, etc?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jay Walking wrote:
In Australia, the AFL are the only governing body that test out of season for illicet drugs. They don't test for steriods etc. Do the Premier League or FA test for speed, cocaine, etc?

Pretty sure they do. As I said that's why rio "missed" his test. From memory Jamie Stuart and Lee Bowyer served bans for marijuana.

How was Wendall Sailor caught?

Surely a sporting drugs test is a sporting drugs test and they test for every banned substance.

I'm no drugs expert but drugs that speed up your metabolism would surely help flush things out of your system wouldn't they?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Dont forget Bosnich. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

No they don't or at least didn't when one of my family members had to be tested. They would only test for performance drugs. Can't remember the Sailor incident sorry.

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

The Kop wrote:Next step I rkn, find a scapegoat(s) and try and spin that it’s not systemic problem.

Spot on...I'll ask my mate in media and see what the rumours are
Best one ..which hasn't made the media is a high profile current afl player who likes the party drugs..but the afl have to manage and rehabilitate this player because of all the marketing etc around him

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jay Walking wrote:No they don't or at least didn't when one of my family members had to be tested. They would only test for performance drugs. Can't remember the Sailor incident sorry.

Around 2006 he was caught taking cocaine, I think it was in season though. I still struggle with the idea that they don't test for everything all the time.

In a lot of sports there is no off season any season. If you're in the premier league then how often is the off season. Finish in May, tournament (every other year in June), pre season in July, season starts in August.

Rugby they tour the northern hemisphere during the off season. Athletics is all year round.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

nachoman wrote:

Spot on...I'll ask my mate in media and see what the rumours are
Best one ..which hasn't made the media is a high profile current afl player who likes the party drugs..but the afl have to manage and rehabilitate this player because of all the marketing etc around him
The mystery hamstring injury fella?
That one's been a rumour for many years. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Loved the delicious irony of the photo in yesterday's "The Age" newspaper showing a workman taking down the Essendon slogan "Whatever It Takes" from the Clubroom wall!