Muhammad Ali may only have days left

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Muhammad Ali may only have days left

Post by Red-4-Life »

THE family of Muhammad Ali has posted a picture of him enjoying the Super Bowl, amid claims he was close to death.

Ali's brother was quoted in British media as saying the sporting legend, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, could be dead within days.

But Ali's daughter May May told the Associated Press she had spoken to her father on the phone on Sunday morning and he was fine.

"He's fine, in fact he was talking well this morning," she said.

"These rumors pop up every once in a while but there's nothing to them."

Ali's family told the Louisville Courier-Journal that he was in good spirits and tweeted a picture of him enjoying the Super Bowl in a Baltimore Ravens jersey.
Family spokesman Bob Gunnell disputed the UK media reports and said Ali "looks great".

“He’s having a Super Bowl party," Gunnell said.

The tweeted picture shows Ali with fists raised along with the words: “The Greatest is ready for the Super Bowl! Go @Ravens!”.

Retired boxing champion Muhammad Ali waves alongside his wife Lonnie Ali, left, and his sister-in-law Marilyn Williams, right, after receiving the Liberty Medal during a ceremony at the National Constitution Centre last September.

Rahman Ali had told The Sun his 71-year-old brother - who is known as The Greatest - cannot speak and no longer recognises him.

"He's in a bad way. He's very sick,'' Rahman Ali said.

"It could be months, it could be days. I don't know if he'll last the summer. He's in God's hands."

Former heavyweight boxing champion Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1984. Regarded as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, he has made many public appearances over the years, including at the Sugar Bowl college football game last month.

Muhammad Ali, known as The Greatest, is regarded as one of sport's true legends.

He famously lit the flame at the 1996 Olympic Games in one of sport's most memorable moments.

He was seen looking particularly thin and frail at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony where he was helped across the stage by Lonnie, his wife of 26 years.

Rahman Ali has accused Lonnie of tearing the family apart and not allowing him to visit his ailing brother.

The brothers, born Cassius and Rudolph Clay, grew up together in Louisville, Kentucky.

Cassius Clay, as Ali was known then, won gold at the 1960 Olympics and after turning professional went on to become a three-times world heavyweight champion.

Nicknamed the Louisville Lip for his outlandish statements, Clay's stunning defeat of the much-fancied Sonny Liston in Miami in 1964 shocked the boxing world.

After defeating Liston, Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali and announced his conversion to the Muslim faith.

"Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it and I don't want it," he said.

"I am Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God, and I insist people use it when people speak to me and of me."

The father-of-nine had several famous fights during his career, including 1974's "Rumble in the Jungle" with George Foreman and the "Thrilla in Manila" against Joe Frazier the following year.

When discussing his plan ahead of his fight with Foreman, he famously said: "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee - his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see."
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/worl ... 6569664809

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Muhammad Ali may only have days left

Post by Armageddon »

the Greatest sportsman of ALL time