Siddle caught ball tampering

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Siddle caught ball tampering

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bacon888 wrote:
rulebritannia wrote:pick pick pick

I see two fingers touching the seam.. that's perfectly legal.

The left hand finger isn't even moving.
It's a photo - of course it isn't moving!

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

:lol:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

So what does it PROVE?

You can't even see if it's anywhere near the seam.

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

Aussies are lucky this Sri Lankan squad are a polite bunch

the win will be forever marred by what the whole war saw though
Siddle cleared, but suspicions remain
Elmo Rodrigopulle - Reporting from Australia

The Australians and the cricketers woke up on Tuesday morning in a state of disbelief when news of alleged ball tampering trickled down from the Sri Lankan media, including the ‘DAILY NEWS’. The TV showed footage of Australian pace man who was later named man-of-the-match allegedly fiddling with the ball in suspicious manner. It looked as though he was trying to up the seam with his fingers so as to gain undue advantage.

But all’s well that ends well and at the end of the Test won by Australia by 137 runs news came in that International Cricket Council claiming that the umpires found no evidence of ball tampering – but match referee Chris Broad was given an additional 24 hours to investigate and, if necessary to press charges.

Jayawardene interested
When questioned at the post-match press briefing Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene said: ’I was clearly interested to see what action International Cricket Council match referee Chris Broad would take.

‘That’s something we will have to wait and see. The easiest thing for match officials to have done was at least have a chat to the Aussie management or captain and see what happened and move on. ’If they haven’t done that we are a bit sad about it. That is the minimum requirement when everyone saw on television when they zoomed in.

‘It’s not that we just picked up something, it was shown on television and that’s when we saw it as well’, said Jayawardene. The Sri Lankan management is convinced that something naughty was done.

Surprised at allegations
At the post match briefing skipper Michael Clarke and Peter Siddle were surprised at the allegations.’ That is a ridiculous statement. There’s a picture going around on Twitter, but on Twitter you can say what you want and there’s no consequences’ said the fast bowler.

Skipper Clarke seemed annoyed and denied the allegation that the Australians resorted to ball-tampering to beat Sri Lanka.’ I’ve only just heard it when I came back into the change room that it had been spoken about. I heard from the ICC or Chris Broad that there was nothing to it.

‘At the end of the day, the ICC have made it very clear there was nothing there. I 100 per cent believe we always play in the spirit of the game. I don’t think any of the Australian players would ever jeopardize that to do anything to run our reputation.

Play the right way
‘We play hard on the field and we understand that there is a line you can’t cross and we play the right way’ he said. Sri Lanka Manager Charith Senenayake when contacted said that it was not something that we saw.

‘The whole world saw it on television. They blocked out the player’s face and continued to show the incident. The

ICC has said there is nothing to it. It is for the world to decide. We will move on from here’, said the manager.

The Sri Lankan team will leave for Melbourne later in the evening today. After a couple of off days they will begin training in earnest to try and beat the Australians in the Boxing Day Test and pocket the first ever Test win in Australia. Hobart, Wednesday.
http://www.dailynews.lk/2012/12/20/spo01.asp

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bacon888 wrote:So what does it PROVE?

It's ON the seam, clear as day. Watch the video. PICK PICK PICK!!

He's just got away with it because he wasn't very good at doing it. I believe the matter is still sitting with the ICC but Chris Broad has said there's nothing in it.

I do find it funny (but not surprising) that the aussies on here think he hasn't done it. He's banged to rights!

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

how can you pick at something without nails??????????.....he's a nailbiter!!!!!
Last edited by MegaBonus on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

also interesting that local Australian news has omitted quotes by the Sri Lankan captain suggesting there was something in it

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

there was visual evidence of him picking at the seam, no denying that... but no visual evidence of any damage or alteration to the seam...

so... what should the punishment be?

probably just a formal warning to stay away from the seam... but something should be said, rather than ignoring it.

seams pretty straightforward to me.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman wrote:

He's just got away with it because he wasn't very good at doing it. I believe the matter is still sitting with the ICC but Chris Broad has said there's nothing in it.

I do find it funny (but not surprising) that the aussies on here think he hasn't done it. He's banged to rights!
What video?

So the ICC says there's nothing in it, but the ICC are sitting on it????? Righteo then.

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

the Australian team has been warned by the referee, that much has happened

so this points to guilt on their part however the damage to the seam probably wasnt enough to be noticed by the umpires.

they're just lucky to have gotten away with it this time. the whole world has seen the videos and have made their judgement.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bacon888 wrote:

What video?

So the ICC says there's nothing in it, but the ICC are sitting on it????? Righteo then.
I believe the match referee has unofficially said that there's nothing in it. However, the ICC have made no formal decision as yet.

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

the reaction by Australian media and comments by the Australian team captain may have a dash of xenophobia about it.
this hasnt been received well by the tourists or foreign journalists by all reports.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I wonder what they would say if it was malinga caught in exactly the same way.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bacon888 wrote:
rulebritannia wrote:pick pick pick

I see two fingers touching the seam.. that's perfectly legal.

The left hand finger isn't even moving.
It's a photo - of course it isn't moving!
Look how short and bitten his fingernails are....how could you pick a seam with them :lol:
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:Look how short and bitten his fingernails are....how could you pick a seam with them :lol:

I bite my nails, you can still pick at things. Not as easily, but you can do it.

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

there is some flex in the fingertips
quite obvious what he is doing which is why the TV cameras picked up on it and the Sri Lankans + world's cricket media have voiced their concerns