Free Kick

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Free Kick

Post by swannsong »

Just posing a question...referee awards a free kick then books the offender for time wasting, kicking the ball away......referee then tells player over the ball to wait whilst he positions himself on the edge of the goal area for a good view of the free kick...before kick can be taken the referee signals the end of the game.
Is there something inherently wrong with this scenario ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Celebrity Juice
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Free Kick

Post by Celebrity Juice »

Often think this when referees blow full time when the ball has gone out for a corner and the commentator says nothing more than there's no time to take it.
I'd smash Kelly Brook's back doors in.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Celebrity Juice wrote:Often think this when referees blow full time when the ball has gone out for a corner and the commentator says nothing more than there's no time to take it.

don't see what's wrong with that situation.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:Just posing a question...referee awards a free kick then books the offender for time wasting, kicking the ball away......referee then tells player over the ball to wait whilst he positions himself on the edge of the goal area for a good view of the free kick...before kick can be taken the referee signals the end of the game.
Yes, if he thought the person was time wasting then why wouldn't he have stopped his watch. Only exception would be a C's or Reserves game where the game has to end at a certain time. Then again, surely there's time for a free kick.

Celebrity Juice
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

God is an Englishman wrote:
Celebrity Juice wrote:Often think this when referees blow full time when the ball has gone out for a corner and the commentator says nothing more than there's no time to take it.
Then blow full time, don't award a corner, wait for the player to set it up and then blow full time before he kicks it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Celebrity Juice wrote:
Then blow full time, don't award a corner, wait for the player to set it up and then blow full time before he kicks it.
Then someone would complain that only 44:50 was played. Was it 70 World Cup that a ref blew the whistle as the ball was flying into the net after a corner.

Celebrity Juice
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

God is an Englishman wrote:Then someone would complain that only 44:50 was played. Was it 70 World Cup that a ref blew the whistle as the ball was flying into the net after a corner.
The different being the ball is in play.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Celebrity Juice wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Then someone would complain that only 44:50 was played. Was it 70 World Cup that a ref blew the whistle as the ball was flying into the net after a corner.
The different being the ball is in play.
The ball doesn't have to be in play for time to be up.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

swannsong wrote:Just posing a question...referee awards a free kick then books the offender for time wasting, kicking the ball away......referee then tells player over the ball to wait whilst he positions himself on the edge of the goal area for a good view of the free kick...before kick can be taken the referee signals the end of the game.
Yes, if he thought the person was time wasting then why wouldn't he have stopped his watch. Only exception would be a C's or Reserves game where the game has to end at a certain time. Then again, surely there's time for a free kick.
Sorry, my little wording error....this happened at the end of the first half, not the end of the game !

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

swannsong wrote:
Sorry, my little wording error....this happened at the end of the first half, not the end of the game !
I think the only explicit concession for adding extra time in the laws is for taking a penalty.
Having said that, the convention is (usually) to wait until an immediate attack/threat on goal has finished. I'd always wait at the end of injury time until the ball has been cleared, or is doing nothing in the midfield. I'd definitely let a free kick go ahead, and any resultant corners, etc. Otherwise, it sends a bad message. Players will start thinking time is done, they can commit a foul and get away with it, because time will stop.
Bit of common sense was needed there, I think. Having said that, I've seen a lot of C's and Reserves games end at unusual moments.
Because everyone needs one.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

bench-warmer wrote: I think the only explicit concession for adding extra time in the laws is for taking a penalty.
Having said that, the convention is (usually) to wait until an immediate attack/threat on goal has finished. I'd always wait at the end of injury time until the ball has been cleared, or is doing nothing in the midfield. I'd definitely let a free kick go ahead, and any resultant corners, etc. Otherwise, it sends a bad message. Players will start thinking time is done, they can commit a foul and get away with it, because time will stop.
Bit of common sense was needed there, I think. Having said that, I've seen a lot of C's and Reserves games end at unusual moments.
I think the fact that he booked the player for wasting time....which chewed up a few minutes, is why I questioned the call.....the players original foul, subsequent time wasting and the referee's actions, denied an attacking opportunity.....