Defenders encroaching within 10 yards when corners taken

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Defenders encroaching within 10 yards when corners taken

Post by Con M »

I realize the ref has enough to do with all the pushing/shoving/holding going on in the goalmouth when corners are taken. But the other problem seems to be defenders encroaching within 10 yards (9.15 metres) when a corner is being taken - causing further squabbles & delays.

Those delays are even worse towards the end of games where teams in the lead are annoyingly intent on taking the corner short, then shielding it near the corner flag to wind down the clock. Nothing can be done within the laws about that tactic, but defenders seem to add to the delay by encroaching, causing assistant refs & refs to try to get them back 10 yards (9.15m) so the damn corner can be taken.

At present there is a small transverse line on the touchline & goal-line 10 yards (9.15m) from the corner flag to aid the officials, but I'm wondering whether it could be trialled that an arc be drawn 10 yards (9.15m) from the corner flag similar to the arc drawn that distance from the penalty spot or the centre circle designating where defenders have to be retreated to.

Miyuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Defenders encroaching within 10 yards when corners taken

Post by Miyuki »

I've seen grounds where the curator has mowed the lawn spacing concentric lines from the corner.
As always deadlines to meet.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Can't say I've ever even noticed this happening, condedes.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Referee are required to police encroachment at corner kicks n mater what time in the game it is. If he is being assessed and the referee does not stop the encroachment at corners then he will be marked down.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I think if a player takes a short corner and turns to sheild it in the corner not showing any intent in playing, just winding down the clock, then all cards should be taken off the table giving the opposition the chance to vent their frustration of being down on the score board by two footing the cheating prick on the ball, sure give the fouled player a free kick and the opportunity to do it again, if he can get up from the challenge obviously, but no card to the player that launched the two foot aerial assualt.

This goes for defenders shepparding a ball out for a goal kick as well, 'whats that you have no intention in playing the ball just obstructing me getting to it?', well heres a two footer for you, card free, wont take long to remove these negative points of our game.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

There's nothing in this world that cant be sorted out with a perfectly executed two footer.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

paul merson wrote:I think if a player takes a short corner and turns to sheild it in the corner not showing any intent in playing, just winding down the clock, then all cards should be taken off the table giving the opposition the chance to vent their frustration of being down on the score board by two footing the cheating prick on the ball, sure give the fouled player a free kick and the opportunity to do it again, if he can get up from the challenge obviously, but no card to the player that launched the two foot aerial assualt.

This goes for defenders shepparding a ball out for a goal kick as well, 'whats that you have no intention in playing the ball just obstructing me getting to it?', well heres a two footer for you, card free, wont take long to remove these negative points of our game.
Ha ha, agree Mers this crap is one of the hardest to put up with by opposition players & spectators alike. Some of these inglorious basterds even start doing it at the 80th minute mark when they're trying to hold onto a lead or draw.

But that referees' committee you're on would say there's no way around this bullshit within the current laws.

Dunno if there's currently any solution. I've been mocked by others on this thread, but I wonder if a possible solution is to draw that fucking 10-yard (9.15-metre) arc and declare that if they don't try to play the ball out of that area within 6 seconds (similar to how long goalies have to dispose of possession), then it is a free kick to the defending team.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:But that referees' committee you're on would say there's no way around this bullshit within the current laws.

and why should they? It's part of the game, as long as you're within playing distance and seen to be still playing the ball then there's no issue.

Is it just the corner flag that we're not allowed to shield the ball, what about a throw in, or goal kick. What about in the middle of the pitch?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Con M wrote:But that referees' committee you're on would say there's no way around this bullshit within the current laws.
and why should they? It's part of the game, as long as you're within playing distance and seen to be still playing the ball then there's no issue.

Is it just the corner flag that we're not allowed to shield the ball, what about a throw in, or goal kick. What about in the middle of the pitch?
But GMAE, is there some way I can convince you that it can be incredibly frustrating for defenders and spectators of a team trailing 0-1, when opposition chardonnays frustratingly start shielding and holding up the ball near the confined corner area at the 80th minute mark? Can you see it is against the fair-play spirit of the game?

As for shielding the ball, say near the middle of the pitch, that can't work as frustratingly because opponents can try and take it from you from all angles compared to if the ball is stuck near the tight confines of the corner flag..

Hell I know nothing will come of this GMAE, so this frustrating trend will continue to grow at all levels. I sort of like Mers' tongue-in-cheek solution of two-footing them (which will risk yellow & red cards), but imagine for a moment you're a frustrated Millwall supporter on the receiving end of this rubbish - is there any solution?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

But GMAE, is there some way I can convince you that it can be incredibly frustrating for defenders and spectators of a team trailing 0-1, when opposition chardonnays frustratingly start shielding and holding up the ball near the confined corner area at the 80th minute mark? Can you see it is against the fair-play spirit of the game?

As for shielding the ball, say near the middle of the pitch, that can't work as frustratingly because opponents can try and take it from you from all angles compared to if the ball is stuck near the tight confines of the corner flag..

Hell I know nothing will come of this GMAE, so this frustrating trend will continue to grow at all levels. I sort of like Mers' tongue-in-cheek solution of two-footing them (which will risk yellow & red cards), but imagine for a moment you're a frustrated Millwall supporter on the receiving end of this rubbish - is there any solution?

I don't deny it's frustrating, I don't deny it's not a good look but it's part of the game. You can't legislate that you can do something in the middle of the pitch but not in the corner.

I can actually remember doing it in a game once. 90th minute and we were 3-2 up (after being 2-0 down) and I took the ball to the corner. Held off two defenders and the 3rd came in and fouled me. From the free kick it was touched to me and I held it in the corner again. :lol: