New rules about sock tape colour

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

asa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

New rules about sock tape colour

Post by asa »

anyone know if this is being enforced by refs at all levels? where I can get purple tape?

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: New rules about sock tape colour

Post by Stich This »

asa wrote:anyone know if this is being enforced by refs at all levels? where I can get purple tape?
Getting a bit precious I think.

matchtape
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by matchtape »

Yes
Last edited by matchtape on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Wow...as if that wasn't a set up...post count is giving it away....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

MegaBonus wrote:Wow...as if that wasn't a set up...post count is giving it away....
:lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I know SAASRA have issued guidelines to all of their refs that they should enforce the tape issue. Tape should be the same colour as your socks. If you have more than one colour on your sock then it should match the area the tape in on.

Whilst it might be overkill in amateur football, how hard it is it to just buy the tape that matches? (OK purple might be a bit hard).

on-side
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by on-side »

I think this is a ridiculous rule - I have bought my son the white straps with velcro (you can also get them in black as well) to hold his shin pads in place, you cant get any other colour in these - I have already asked.

So this rule does advantage those clubs who have either black or white socks, otherwise you have to use tape, if you can get the appropriate colour!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

on-side wrote:I think this is a ridiculous rule - I have bought my son the white straps with velcro (you can also get them in black as well) to hold his shin pads in place, you cant get any other colour in these - I have already asked.

So this rule does advantage those clubs who have either black or white socks, otherwise you have to use tape, if you can get the appropriate colour!
wear them under the socks

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Ref worded us up (in the amateurs) that it would be enforced.

I struggle to see what the issue is with having different coloured tape to your socks though.
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:Ref worded us up (in the amateurs) that it would be enforced.

I struggle to see what the issue is with having different coloured tape to your socks though.

I remember a few years ago, reading an article regarding injuries to the shins where some sports scientists actually believed that the different colour to the tape was sitting as a target.

:lol:

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Brian the Postman wrote:Ref worded us up (in the amateurs) that it would be enforced.

Overkill

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

One of the more minor decisions by Laws-of-the-Game Board (IFAB) a couple of AGMs ago. I think they explained it thus: that in split second decisions of 2 players going for a ball near the touch-line, refs couldn't pick up who a deflection came off going out when one player had much tape colour similar to his opponent's socks colour. I think the same applied to those long ostentatious white ankle guards worn over socks that often clashed with say, an opponents white socks.

Apart which it looks better when say, red tape is used when wearing red socks - something we insisted on at our club from a few years back, which showed a player's attention to detail.
ps, we'd get untold whingeing by players wanting to wear different coloured undershorts (which made them look like clowns), until that too was enforced by IFAB.

As Mr Millwall says, if ya can't match the tape wear them under the socks. Some goes with those long elasticised white ankle guards which go halfway up the shin - wear them UNDER the socks!

pps, nothing can ever be done about some players' absurd colour choices of white & fluoro-coloured boots - even if they're encouraged to wear predominatly black with a splash of cordinated club colours in them...

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

on-side wrote:I think this is a ridiculous rule - I have bought my son the white straps with velcro (you can also get them in black as well) to hold his shin pads in place, you cant get any other colour in these - I have already asked.

Yes you can. I found yellow, blue and a few others. Just need to order them.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

grumbly wrote:

Yes you can. I found yellow, blue and a few others. Just need to order them.
Onya, grumbly. Rules 'r rules. Perhaps too, on-side and others could check out the "Buy and Sell" forum where a mob called 'matchtape' are selling ALL colours...

ManCityMan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ManCityMan »

Lads are painting or colouring in their white ankle elastics. Genius.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Pretty stupid and pointless law!

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Red-4-Life wrote:Pretty stupid and pointless law!
The refs are nightmares, in a trial game yesterday he nearly wasn't going to let me play because my colour of sock wasn't exactly the same as my teammates. Think a slightly different shade of colour rather than a completely different colour.
It's all in the Delivery!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Yes, a minor change. But at least look back in this thread and read the reasons behind it..

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:
The refs are nightmares, in a trial game yesterday he nearly wasn't going to let me play because my colour of sock wasn't exactly the same as my teammates. Think a slightly different shade of colour rather than a completely different colour.
Tell chablis to not wash the next pair in such hot water then.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

3. Law 4 - The Players' Equipment

Present Text
stockings

New Text
stockings - if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to

Reason
An increasing number of players are using excessive amounts of tape externally on their socks. This can be a multitude of colours and completely changes the look of the sock. This can cause confusion, particularly for assistant referees who may need to look at the sock to determine who last played the ball before it went out of play.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

ok so get this, white socks with a black nike logo, player was told to remove white sock holders with a black nike symbol, juniors FFSA

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I really don't understand the big deal, you know the laws, you know it's being enforced. It's not like anyone is stopping you playing just take the tape off or put in under the sock.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

some people just love to whinge........
:roll:

OldGold
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OldGold »

Yep!

Yet I see on a weekly basis players with different shorts and in some cases different shirts!!! To their team mates and not a word said by the ref.

In the mean time we still have parents/volunteers (who may or may not know the offside rule) having to run the line... and Ive lost count of the number of foul throws that get missed during a game.

Seems we have our priorities all wrong!
"United were good... but they still weren't Wolves!" George Best