How impartial are referees?

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Phil McAvity
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

How impartial are referees?

Post by Phil McAvity »

When the whole opponent's team are on first name terms with the referee, is is possible for him to treat players equally when he knows them so well?

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: How impartial are referees?

Post by Stich This »

Phil McAvity wrote:When the whole opponent's team are on first name terms with the referee, is is possible for him to treat players equally when he knows them so well?
It's possible, but unless he is on first name terms with the other team , better to not call by first names.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Phil McAvity wrote:When the whole opponent's team are on first name terms with the referee, is is possible for him to treat players equally when he knows them so well?
What age level?

Phil McAvity
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Phil McAvity »

kevinkeegan wrote:
What age level?
Seniors, and he's a really good referee too. I just wonder if, subconsciously, it gets to them. Easy to give yellows and reds out when you don't know the bloke, not so easy when you do and he's a long established player.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Phil McAvity wrote:
kevinkeegan wrote:
What age level?
Seniors, and he's a really good referee too. I just wonder if, subconsciously, it gets to them. Easy to give yellows and reds out when you don't know the bloke, not so easy when you do and he's a long established player.
Agree

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I agree it can look that way at times but if you know someone's name then why wouldn't you use it if it might help to calm a situation.

I've had many referees use my nickname and I find it more likely to get a calm response than a blanket NUMBER 8.

Adolf Hįtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hįtler »

That four letter word beginning with c?
When Saloth Sar gets banned for the reason you request Adolf Hitler to be banned I shall stop posting as Adolf Hitler.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

[quote="kevinkeegan"]Seniors, and he's a really good referee too. I just wonder if, subconsciously, it gets to them. Easy to give yellows and reds out when you don't know the bloke, not so easy when you do and he's a long established player.

Agree

+1. Had an experience like that back in antiquity when I was taken out of our forward line and asked to mark & continually foul a high-profile forward (those days you could get away repetitive fouls before the ref finally ran out of patience and wrote you in his little book - no yellow & red cards those days). The ref was on a first-name basis with this high-profile forward and vitually consoled him when he always hit the turf, saying neutral things like "keep going J.., don't worry about him" (me, the marker).

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Ofor Fuxake wrote:That four letter word beginning with c?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Randoman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Randoman »

Its easy. Once you've been playing for a while (and the referees have been around for a while) its just silly not to use names if you're the referee. It happens all the way up to the EPL. And in other sports - like the AFL. Its a good way to manage players - I've been booked in the first minute by a referee who used my name, and sent off by another - it should never impact their decisions. And just because a referee knows your name certainly doesnt mean he favours you!

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Perhaps referees should stop sitting with the coaches and parents during half time too.
May all be perfectly innocent, but doesn't look that way. Catch up for a chat after the game.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

All AFL field umpires must know every player by their first name