How can they do this?

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

How can they do this?

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I was just watching highlights of Burnley v Millwall (although they were dressed like Blackpool), and the Clarets had a goal disallowed for a 'retrospective' offside decision. The linesman didn't put his flag up during the play, so he obviously thought it was onside, and the player duly passed the ball and the goal was scored. I'm not sure why the referee decided to confer with the lino (I'm assuming the Millwall players were whingeing, as is their way) but, after a discussion, and this is by now about a minute later, the lino puts his flag up and the goal is ruled out. There's no way from the refs position in the middle of the pitch that he could have a clue and I watched the replay and, to me, the player in question was level, but it's too tight to be 100% sure from the camera angle.

The point is, although the referee is the sole arbiter of the game, what on Earth goes through his mind to do this? It's not like it's a parent running the line FFS. I thought refs were told to err on the side of the attacking player, in other words, you have to be clearly offside to be called?

The referee was bald and rather slow, I wondered if Hawkesy had taken up reffing. :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How can they do this?

Post by Redmum's Avatar »

At the end of the day he got the right decision. End of.
Yes, they're real !!!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Redmum's Avatar wrote:At the end of the day he got the right decision. End of.
Did he? Looked level to me.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Pommy09
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Pommy09 »

well in the rules now, if any part of your body (except hands and arms) is in an offside position then you can be called offside if you interfer with play of course
CMON U SAINTS

There's only one le tissier

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Pommy09 wrote:well in the rules now, if any part of your body (except hands and arms) is in an offside position then you can be called offside if you interfer with play of course
We know that but the point is, the linesman obviously thought he was onside to begin with and it was so close that there's no way the ref could have judged from where he was, but someone got the ref to query / check with the linesman who subsquently changed his mind.

It's a horrible precedent to set, it'll just encourage players to harangue the referee in a bid to get a decision go their way. Rightly or wrongly, if the lino was sure to begin with, the ref shouldn't have asked and he shouldn't have changed his mind.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

The bloke on the line is just an assistant. In this scenario they got the decision right.

That said I'd be doing my nut in the crowd if the situation was reversed.