Offside Question ?

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Offside Question ?

Post by The General »

Some of the amateur games I have seen this year,there are some strikers who like to hang goal side of the opposition's last defender.
What is happening is that their team plays a long ball,and the Striker who is sitting behind the last defender makes a run towards the ball and then lets it go to the overlapping player in his team,lot of referees are letting it go- but a few are calling it offside,as even though the Striker didnt touch the ball,he is still interfeering with play,by running towards the ball as though he was going to make a play of it.
I agree with the latter,while it is a clever ploy to distract the defenders,I believe it is offside,one guy who does this a lot is the central striker from Budapest ( Popovic ? ).
Any other thoughts ?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: Offside Question ?

Post by swannsong »

The General wrote:Some of the amateur games I have seen this year,there are some strikers who like to hang goal side of the opposition's last defender.
What is happening is that their team plays a long ball,and the Striker who is sitting behind the last defender makes a run towards the ball and then lets it go to the overlapping player in his team,lot of referees are letting it go- but a few are calling it offside,as even though the Striker didnt touch the ball,he is still interfeering with play,by running towards the ball as though he was going to make a play of it.
I agree with the latter,while it is a clever ploy to distract the defenders,I believe it is offside,one guy who does this a lot is the central striker from Budapest ( Popovic ? ).
Any other thoughts ?
Personally, I would think if players make a movement toward the ball they are bringing themselves into play and should be ruled offside ! Seems like a deliberate ploy to circumvent the rule.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Evergreen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Evergreen »

Agree with Swannsong.
Nothing ever lasts for ever

Starling
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Starling »

As do I

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

So far we all agree,yet on weekends there are players who abuse the ref because they reckon they are only interfeering with play if they actually touch the ball - some players dont understand that anytime you are on the field,you are involved with the play.
I dont like saying passive or aggressive,prefer to say, either you are or you are not offside...sounds simpler, for me anyway.

Evergreen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Evergreen »

The General wrote:anytime you are on the field,you are involved with the play.
That's how it should be.
Nothing ever lasts for ever

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

The General wrote:So far we all agree......
All 4 of us !

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I dont. :P
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:I dont. :P
3 more nos and we will have a hung decision !

Club Referee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Club Referee »

Talk Is Cheap wrote:being able to use a computer doesn't hinder people writing condescending crap.

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

swannsong wrote:
The General wrote:Some of the amateur games I have seen this year,there are some strikers who like to hang goal side of the opposition's last defender.
Any other thoughts ?
Personally, I would think if players make a movement toward the ball they are bringing themselves into play and should be ruled offside ! Seems like a deliberate ploy to circumvent the rule.
+1

Yes offside.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

The rule states that if your team gains an advantage by you being in an offside position then you are offside
HA'WAY THE LADS

Pommy09
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Pommy09 »

it can be onside or offside. It depends on how far away he is from the ball where is the ball etc etc. it all comes down to that split second desicion in the game
CMON U SAINTS

There's only one le tissier