Diving to win penalties..

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Diving to win penalties..

Post by Red-4-Life »

Should it be a red card?

It is a form of blatant cheating to win a game and should be rubbed out of the game. surely if a player is punished with a send off to win a penalty by diving, we wont see this rubbish anymore? It can kill big games and important games.

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Diving to win penalties..

Post by TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC »

heart cheats , same like every melb person......
RADIO LALASEMENO
http://www.lalasemeno.gr

this has just changed my life............above link

dont use my name..

What has 100 legs & 4 teeth? The front row of the Collingwood cheer squad

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Red-4-Life wrote:Should it be a red card?

It is a form of blatant cheating to win a game and should be rubbed out of the game. surely if a player is punished with a send off to win a penalty by diving, we wont see this rubbish anymore? It can kill big games and important games.

Have been saying that for years, PROVIDING the ref is 100% certain that it was actually a dive. Would hate to see someone who got tripped get sent off - it's double punishment!
Ignore this signature

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Bomber wrote:

Have been saying that for years, PROVIDING the ref is 100% certain that it was actually a dive. Would hate to see someone who got tripped get sent off - it's double punishment!
yeah thats the only issue, depending on different angles the referee may miss a dive or incorrectly punish someone for diving. But diving needs to be taken out of the game, and this is one way it can be done.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I would think that initially you should book them....should almost guarantee they don't do it again.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:

I would think that initially you should book them....should almost guarantee they don't do it again.
But it doesnt (always). It may stop them doing during the same game, but probably wont stop them doing it the week after.
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Would think more games are won from "faked" free kick appeals/dives....

ronshippau
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ronshippau »

This counts as unsporting behaviour which would be a yellow card.

Woohafkaf Car
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Woohafkaf Car »

ronshippau wrote:This counts as unsporting behaviour which would be a yellow card.
It really should be red.
No country who has never qualified for the world cup should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Sod Japan, sod Qatar, sod Blatter and his cronies!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

When I was goalkeeper in penalty shoot outs....I used to dive to try and win penalties !

Barney Rubble
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Barney Rubble »

swannsong wrote:When I was goalkeeper in penalty shoot outs....I used to dive to try and win penalties !
When i was a 'keeper if i knew i wasn't going to get to the ball i would make out like i had been held back and hit the ground . . .

easy free kick :oops:

not that that happend very often :roll:
Without ammunition, the Air Force is just an expensive flying club

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Barney Rubble wrote:
swannsong wrote:When I was goalkeeper in penalty shoot outs....I used to dive to try and win penalties !
When i was a 'keeper if i knew i wasn't going to get to the ball i would make out like i had been held back and hit the ground . . .

It helps if there were players around or near you at the time :D

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

:lol:
swannsong wrote:
Barney Rubble wrote:

It helps if there were players around or near you at the time :D

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Standing ruling stated again:

"The (Laws-of-the-Game) Board also discussed a proposal from the Scottish F.A. regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was not approved, the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensively fought and sanctioned (with a yellow) during the game..."

Dive twice in the same game and you're off.

As for the cheat who dives and gets away with it, the media is best placed to shame & embarrass him if the various camera angles prove conclusively it was a dive...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

the penalty should fit the crime. In certain circumstances if you dive then you can get a player sent off. In this instance, the diver should get a red.

My rule of thumb would be, you give the same colour card to the diver that you would have given to the "defender" if you thought he was guilty of a foul.

Adolt Hıtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolt Hıtler »

God is an Englishman wrote:My rule of thumb would be, you give the same colour card to the diver that you would have given to the "defender" if you thought he was guilty of a foul.
I've thought something along these lines for handball. I defender does it to stop a goal gets a red, yet when a forward deliberately handles to score a goal then shouldn't that be red as well.
If this username offends you does Saloth Sar. At least that is the name of someone that exists.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Wir Sind Helden wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:My rule of thumb would be, you give the same colour card to the diver that you would have given to the "defender" if you thought he was guilty of a foul.
I've thought something along these lines for handball. I defender does it to stop a goal gets a red, yet when a forward deliberately handles to score a goal then shouldn't that be red as well.
Great point. A goal earned is a goal saved.
But in the defenders case, if a penalty is given,and a goal is subsequently scored,then the defending team has not denied a goal and shouldn't pay twice

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

In the A-League if a goal is scored from a penalty that on video review was found to be a dive by the match review panel (video evidence), the diver gets a two match suspension and if a red card was awarded to the defender is is expunged.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/sit ... source.pdf
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

That breaks FIFA rules as well as the laws of the game.

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

I'm fairly certain certain expunging red cards and suspending players after a match does not breach the laws of the game, we have seen it done on several occasions. And if it was in breach of LOTG surely an appeal to FIFA would suceed. Perhaps you could quote which LOTG it breaches.

The A-League disciplinary regulations have been around for a few years now, if they breached FIFA rules, why has no one raised it in the media or to FIFA to have offending regulations revoked?
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Will try and find it tomorrow BUT fifa ban the "re-refereeing" of games. Also diving is punishable by a caution under the laws.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:Standing ruling stated again:

"The (Laws-of-the-Game) Board also discussed a proposal from the Scottish F.A. regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was not approved, the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensively fought and sanctioned (with a yellow) during the game..."
robs2107 & Mr (happy semifinalist) Millwall - refer ruling above by the ONE Laws-of-the-Game Board and SOLE custodian of those Laws. Also refer to the clear English language phrase "ALL Confederations & member associations are bound by decisions of IFAB".

Eduardo won his appeal based on that. As would have the 2 A-League players suspended by the Match Review Panel. In fact one appeal (I think by CCM) was all prepared and ready to go, but for some inexplicable reason didn't go ahead.

The Aussie MRP can't go off and just do it's own thing, meeting every week, even when there's no incidents to investigate. Laws are Laws, Rulings are Rulings. Soccer-football has ONE Law-making body and isn't like Aussie Rules with different rules in the AFL, SANFL, WAFL etc. If the MRP was formally challenged on this they would lose.

I don't like cheating divers, but in this ruling the IFAB have got it right. There's too many grey variables - speed of the incident, intent, different camera angles, the ref's view in real time etc etc.

If many many camera angles sort of show it was a dive, let the media expose & humiliate the cheat after the game into cutting it out. SydneyFC fines it's players if they thinkthey've dived. Moyes of Everton recently berated Neville for doing so.

And finally in any case, referees now are erring on the side of caution and hardly ever awarding penalties if in any doubt. Funny that - benefit of the doubt in offside decisions officially goes to the attacker, benefit of the doubt in penalty decisions unofficially goes to the defender...

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bit off topic, but when was the last time you saw an indirect free kick in the box (to attacking team)? Once upon a time they were common, now you only seem to see them for deliberate back passes to the keeper who picks it up.
Obstruction in the box seems always to be given as a penalty these days - not really arguing, as to me it can stop a player same as a trip does.
Has there been any subtle law changes in this area?
Ignore this signature

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Bomber wrote:Bit off topic, but when was the last time you saw an indirect free kick in the box (to attacking team)? Once upon a time they were common, now you only seem to see them for deliberate back passes to the keeper who picks it up.
Obstruction in the box seems always to be given as a penalty these days - not really arguing, as to me it can stop a player same as a trip does.
It never made sense that obstruction in the penalty box was an indirect free kick.
Does anyone know the rationale behind that?

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

Impeding a player is an indirect free anywhere on the ground, deemed by the law makers to more of a technical offence I guess.

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

I'm not sure where the The (Laws-of-the-Game) Board fits in relation to the A-League competition, but I am sure for many years red cards have been rescinded in various competitions including three for AUFC and the occasional one in the FFSA local competition. Perhaps these are all breaches of FIFA statutes, but I doubt it.

Not everything that relates to playing the game is in the Laws of the Game (LOTG). For example there is no reference to drugs in the LOTG, but if you test positive in the A-League you cop penalties. The argument that if it isn't in the LOTG, then it isn't enforceable would allow the use if performance enhancing drugs without penalty.

If anyone would have jacked up, it would have been Clive Palme after Pantelidis copped a five match suspension for hitting Kruse on video evidence; an incident not detected by match officials. I am sure if this breached FIFA statutes, he would have lawyered up immediately to get it overturned.

These decisions are not changing the results of games but are adjusting penalties for players.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Will try and find it tomorrow BUT fifa ban the "re-refereeing" of games. Also diving is punishable by a caution under the laws.
refer post 8.55 am 14/3

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

robs2107 wrote:I'm not sure where the The (Laws-of-the-Game) Board fits in relation to the A-League competition, but I am sure for many years red cards have been rescinded in various competitions including three for AUFC and the occasional one in the FFSA local competition. Perhaps these are all breaches of FIFA statutes, but I doubt it.

Not everything that relates to playing the game is in the Laws of the Game (LOTG). For example there is no reference to drugs in the LOTG, but if you test positive in the A-League you cop penalties. The argument that if it isn't in the LOTG, then it isn't enforceable would allow the use if performance enhancing drugs without penalty.

If anyone would have jacked up, it would have been Clive Palme after Pantelidis copped a five match suspension for hitting Kruse on video evidence; an incident not detected by match officials. I am sure if this breached FIFA statutes, he would have lawyered up immediately to get it overturned.

These decisions are not changing the results of games but are adjusting penalties for players.

That is not "re-refereeing" because the referee didn't see it. Had he seen it and decided that it was only a yellow card then FIFA/A League would not have been able to increase that punisment.

Appeals are also allowed to red cards, but not to yellow cards (except for mistaken identity - in which case the true culprit must be identitified).

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

kevinkeegan wrote:
Bomber wrote:Bit off topic, but when was the last time you saw an indirect free kick in the box (to attacking team)? Once upon a time they were common, now you only seem to see them for deliberate back passes to the keeper who picks it up.
It never made sense that obstruction in the penalty box was an indirect free kick.
Does anyone know the rationale behind that?
I'm still wondering why it just doesnt seem to happen any more. They just seem to give penalties these days.
Ignore this signature