Throw Ins

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Throw Ins

Post by The General »

Are we too pedantic when it comes to throw ins ? Here in SA try to teach our players the correct technique,otherwise match officials really like to jump on us if we dont get them right - but really,all they are, something to get the game going again. However,there are occasions,when they can be as good as a corner,when taken near the goal line/bye line,this would be one area where we need to make sure the technique is correct - but you have to be consistent with the ruling,cant let some go,and penalise others.
It came to my attention during some of the European Cup games,and more recently in the Women's Asian Cup (WAC ) games,some of the throw in attempts were woeful,you or I would have been yelled at for the way some of them threw the ball into play. One game in particular,in the WAC,Matildas vs China ( i think ) Chinese lady literally held the ball in front of her face and threw it in,and wasnt penalised???

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Throw Ins

Post by Bomber »

Been a bug bear of mine the amount of times foul throws go unpunished. Was rife in the ACL. Often linespersons dont watch the feet (over the line) either.
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:Been a bug bear of mine the amount of times foul throws go unpunished. Was rife in the ACL. Often linespersons dont watch the feet (over the line) either.
Having the whole foot over the line is quite unlikely though.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bacon888 wrote:
Bomber wrote:Been a bug bear of mine the amount of times foul throws go unpunished. Was rife in the ACL. Often linespersons dont watch the feet (over the line) either.
Having the whole foot over the line is quite unlikely though.

But most linesmen dont even look, so how would they know? Its not like they need to check for offsides during the split second the throw is done.
Ignore this signature

Kayui Kintama
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Kayui Kintama »

The General wrote:Are we too pedantic ... ? Matildas vs China ( i think )
Before criticizing other how about getting your facts correct. It was China v the Matildas.
If they're itchy, scratch them.

Rexel
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rexel »

Bomber wrote:But most linesmen dont even look, so how would they know? Its not like they need to check for offsides during the split second the throw is done.
I look. Only had to call it once (last year FCA v Salisbury Villa). Villa player protested he couldn't be offside from a throw in but aid fair enough when he asked me why the referee stopped played.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

some of the throws in the womens Asian Cup ... :shock:

Kayui Kintama
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Kayui Kintama »

Cue Hawkesy to tell us women can't play football.
If they're itchy, scratch them.

takeonthekeeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by takeonthekeeper »

But most linesmen dont even look, so how would they know? Its not like they need to check for offsides during the split second the throw is done.
Pfft..... at training it is drilled into us..... in pre match instructions we are reminded to watch the feet etc etc....
Before criticizing other how about getting your facts correct.....
"My Legs Sort Of Dissapered From Nowhere"

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

takeonthekeeper wrote:
Pfft..... at training it is drilled into us..... in pre match instructions we are reminded to watch the feet etc etc....
Before criticizing other how about getting your facts correct.....
Well, I often look at the linesmen in such cases and they RARELY DO IT to the point I have even given up on "reminding" them. So get your shit together. :roll:
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

It's those spectators that call for Foul Throw when a player has 1/3 of their foot over the line that need educating.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bacon888 wrote:It's those spectators that call for Foul Throw when a player has 1/3 of their foot over the line that need educating.
I agree - I am talking whole foot (or feet) over the line.
Ignore this signature

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Kayui Kintama wrote:
Before criticizing other how about getting your facts correct. It was China v the Matildas.

:lol: :? :lol: :? you are funny KK,was only going by what I saw on the AB Zee telecast.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

We discussed this after the game on Saturaday..... Can a GK pick the ball up if it was thrown back to him?

Dad's Army
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Dad's Army »

Franco UnAmerican wrote:We discussed this after the game on Saturaday..... Can a GK pick the ball up if it was thrown back to him?
Thrown to him by his teammate - no, penalized with an indirect free kick
Thrown to him by the opposition and in the area - yes, play on.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Ta.....That is what I thought.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

The General wrote:Are we too pedantic when it comes to throw ins ? Here in SA try to teach our players the correct technique,otherwise match officials really like to jump on us if we dont get them right - but really,all they are, something to get the game going again. However,there are occasions,when they can be as good as a corner,when taken near the goal line/bye line,this would be one area where we need to make sure the technique is correct - but you have to be consistent with the ruling,cant let some go,and penalise others.
It came to my attention during some of the European Cup games,and more recently in the Women's Asian Cup (WAC ) games,some of the throw in attempts were woeful,you or I would have been yelled at for the way some of them threw the ball into play. One game in particular,in the WAC,Matildas vs China ( i think ) Chinese lady literally held the ball in front of her face and threw it in,and wasnt penalised???
Are you serious?
It seems to be a dying art. The amount of one handed throws that come from around the head these days is greater than those that are legally executed imo. How many times do you see a ball spinning madly from side to side through the air from a throw in? Referees should start to give warnings and then reverse the throws if this persists.
So in response to your question, no. We are not pedantic enough.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I dont know if anybody has noticed the throw ins at the world cup ? seems like we are doing it all wrong,the ball only has to go above your head and not behind it,and you can throw the ball straight at the ground ? Every country is doing it,happened a lot in the women's asian cup as well - how can you tell your players off, if all they are doing is copying what they see on tv with throw ins ?

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

The General wrote:I dont know if anybody has noticed the throw ins at the world cup ? seems like we are doing it all wrong,the ball only has to go above your head and not behind it,and you can throw the ball straight at the ground ? Every country is doing it,happened a lot in the women's asian cup as well - how can you tell your players off, if all they are doing is copying what they see on tv with throw ins ?
Maybe because (imo) a lot of other countries subscribe to the thought that a throw-in is only a way of restarting play, it's not a core skill of what we all watch the game for...
Bacon888 wrote:It's those spectators that call for Foul Throw when a player has 1/3 of their foot over the line that need educating.
And those (even commentators, there was one the other night that reckoned this) that think the ball's out when it touches the line, instead of crossing it entirely.

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

The General wrote:I dont know if anybody has noticed the throw ins at the world cup ? seems like we are doing it all wrong,the ball only has to go above your head and not behind it,and you can throw the ball straight at the ground ? Every country is doing it,happened a lot in the women's asian cup as well - how can you tell your players off, if all they are doing is copying what they see on tv with throw ins ?
A throw-in is awarded:

when the whole of the ball passes over the touch line, either on the ground or in the air
from the point where it crossed the touch line
to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball
Procedure
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:
faces the field of play
has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line
uses both hands
delivers the ball from behind and over his head
The thrower may not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.
The ball is in play immediately it enters the field of play.

Infringements/Sanctions
Throw-in taken by a player other than the goalkeeper If, after the ball is in play, the thrower touches the ball a second time (except with his hands) before it has touched another player:
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred* (see preface)
If, after the ball is in play, the thrower deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred* (see preface)
a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the thrower's penalty area
Throw-in taken by the goalkeeper If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper touches the ball a second time (except with his hands), before it has touched another player:
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred outside the goalkeeper's penalty area, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred inside the goalkeeper's penalty area, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
If an opponent unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower:
he is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow card
For any other infringement of this Law:
the throw-in is taken by a player of the opposing team

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

BIG RED wrote:
A throw-in is awarded:

when the whole of the ball passes over the touch line, either on the ground or in the air
from the point where it crossed the touch line
to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball
Procedure
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:
faces the field of play
has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line
uses both hands
delivers the ball from behind and over his head
The thrower may not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.
The ball is in play immediately it enters the field of play.

Infringements/Sanctions
Throw-in taken by a player other than the goalkeeper If, after the ball is in play, the thrower touches the ball a second time (except with his hands) before it has touched another player:
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred* (see preface)
If, after the ball is in play, the thrower deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred* (see preface)
a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the thrower's penalty area
Throw-in taken by the goalkeeper If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper touches the ball a second time (except with his hands), before it has touched another player:
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred outside the goalkeeper's penalty area, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred inside the goalkeeper's penalty area, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred * (see preface)
If an opponent unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower:
he is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow card
For any other infringement of this Law:
the throw-in is taken by a player of the opposing team
Maybe we can send this FIFA just to remind them :?

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

The amount of foul throw ins done by professional players is very high and 9 times out of 10 they get away with doing them. The problem is that children see this and they copy them umm

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

yeah, and it was really funny watching Maradona this morning, when grabbed the ball when it went over the sidelines, held it above his head and showed the referee and opposition how a throw in should be taken-finally someone is acknowledging us :)

Dad's Army
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Dad's Army »

He knows how to handle a ball.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Kayui Kintama wrote:

surely it was china v australia
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Hawkesy wrote:
Kayui Kintama wrote:

surely it was china v australia
if we are talking country's nicknames,it would be The Steel Roses vs The Matildas.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

The General wrote:if we are talking country's nicknames,it would be The Steel Roses vs The Matildas.

nicknames for national sides are just plain stupid.

Oh and add in

Echo & The Bunnymen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Echo & The Bunnymen »

Hawkesy wrote:nicknames for national sides are just plain stupid.
Everybody's got their own good reason why their favorite season is their favorite season

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

BIG RED wrote:The amount of foul throw ins done by professional players is very high and 9 times out of 10 they get away with doing them. The problem is that children see this and they copy them umm
It's not just that. I frequently run the line (as a parent) for junior games and I always ask the refs if they want me to flag for foul throws, and they always say no, that they'll do it. But they almost never do, so the foul goes unpunished and the player never learns.

I can sort of understand why, but is this a mandate from the FFSA that unofficial linesmen are not to be trusted to call anything but offside and ball out of play?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
BIG RED wrote:The amount of foul throw ins done by professional players is very high and 9 times out of 10 they get away with doing them. The problem is that children see this and they copy them umm
It's not just that. I frequently run the line (as a parent) for junior games and I always ask the refs if they want me to flag for foul throws, and they always say no, that they'll do it. But they almost never do, so the foul goes unpunished and the player never learns.

I can sort of understand why, but is this a mandate from the FFSA that unofficial linesmen are not to be trusted to call anything but offside and ball out of play?
I agree, that's all I want my linesman to flag for. I'm perfectly capable of watching a throw in and making my own decision.

Oh and add in