Playing Advantage

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Playing Advantage

Post by James »

Had an interesting decision on the weekend.

Our player was fouled on the edge of the our oppositions box and the ref played advantage.

From this advantage our player entered the oppositions box and was then fouled again.

The referee blew for the foul but instead of calling a penalty he brought play back to the initial foul outside of the box.

Is this a correct call by the ref?

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Playing Advantage

Post by Red-4-Life »

from the first foul, we have been told to "wait and see" so if the advantage that is given turns out to be no advantage, it in brought back to where the foul occurred...outside the box.

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

A penalty would be an advantage over a free kick outside the box. :wink:

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Chade wrote:A penalty would be an advantage over a free kick outside the box. :wink:
When does advantage given from the first foul end?

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:
Chade wrote:A penalty would be an advantage over a free kick outside the box. :wink:
Red-4-Life wrote:from the first foul, we have been told to "wait and see" so if the advantage that is given turns out to be no advantage, it in brought back to where the foul occurred...outside the box.
I would take to mean that if a player is fouled after advantage is given, play is called back to the first incident.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Chade wrote:
Malcolm McDonald. wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:from the first foul, we have been told to "wait and see" so if the advantage that is given turns out to be no advantage, it in brought back to where the foul occurred...outside the box.
I would take to mean that if a player is fouled after advantage is given, play is called back to the first incident.
So if player 'A' was fouled on the half way line by a opposition player 'B' and advantage was given. Player 'A' then continued his run into the box and was fouled again by player 'B' would the free kick be brought back to the half way line?

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:So if player 'A' was fouled on the half way line by a opposition player 'B' and advantage was given. Player 'A' then continued his run into the box and was fouled again by player 'B' would the free kick be brought back to the half way line?
Probably not, I think it'd be a penalty. There would have been a clear advantage played, and the player took that advantage by getting into a better position. There's usually a time constraint on it.

(I haven't refereed for a while, so I might be wrong.)

hammers
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by hammers »

CHADE great comment pls come back , how can advantage be played if if ref younger than team hes doing some great ones lately advantage in OWN penalty area when 3 op players closing him down team scored, than booking for player an coach sent off U CANT PLAY IT IF U DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS .

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

hammers wrote:CHADE great comment pls come back , how can advantage be played if if ref younger than team hes doing some great ones lately advantage in OWN penalty area when 3 op players closing him down team scored, than booking for player an coach sent off U CANT PLAY IT IF U DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS .
Translation into English please.

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:Had an interesting decision on the weekend.

Our player was fouled on the edge of the our oppositions box and the ref played advantage.

From this advantage our player entered the oppositions box and was then fouled again.

The referee blew for the foul but instead of calling a penalty he brought play back to the initial foul outside of the box.

Is this a correct call by the ref?
A penalty kick should have been awarded.

Googłe [Bot]
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Googłe [Bot] »

Perhaps the referee didn't think the second incident was a foul.
We know exactly what you've been searching for

the gloves are off !!
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the gloves are off !! »

Rob Lozza wrote:
I was hammered when I wrote:CHADE great comment pls come back , how can advantage be played if if ref younger than team hes doing some great ones lately advantage in OWN penalty area when 3 op players closing him down team scored, than booking for player an coach sent off U CANT PLAY IT IF U DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS .
Translation into English please.

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

:lol:
Rob Lozza wrote:A penalty kick should have been awarded.
Ta. I thought so... :)

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

Definate penalty. Unfortunately the problem with playing advantage is that some players are not smart or clever enough to continue and use this advantage. Same as passive offside, some players and linesmen just dont get it. I tell teams to play the whistle yet they continue to scream for fouls and offside because they are not switched on to whats happening.
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

Googłe [Bot]
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Googłe [Bot] »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:From this advantage our player entered the oppositions box and was then fouled again.
Perhaps the referee did not think this was a foul.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Googłe [Bot] wrote:
Malcolm McDonald. wrote:From this advantage our player entered the oppositions box and was then fouled again.
Perhaps the referee did not think this was a foul.
If it wasn't a foul, why was play stopped?

Googłe [Bot]
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Googłe [Bot] »

The referee waited to see if there was an advantage, there wasn't so he gave the original freekick.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

The Law is quite open to interpretation in this area...

allows play to continue when the team against which an offence has been committed will benefit from such an advantage and penalises the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time

So I guess the second foul may not have been decreed a foul, otherwise I would agree a penalty should have been awarded.

In other sports like Rugby Union, the referee makes an audible call and continues with a visual signal until he deems advantage is over...

I know Football Refs make a visual signal, not sure about the audible aspect ...

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I wouldve thought that if you gain an advantage by playing advantage,then so be it. The player should be able to take advantage of an advantageous position,if referees are advantageously minded,depending on the advantageousness of the situation,in my opinion.

Unfortunately,like a lot things,it is the eye of the beholder.

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

Bacon888 wrote:
If it wasn't a foul, why was play stopped?
The attacker may have been dispossessed by a legitimate tackle that bought him down. Therefore the anticipated advantage did not materialise and the original foul was penalised.

There again perhaps the ref didn't want to call the penalty for the foul in the PA and took the easy way out. Referees are human (though I've heard suggestions to the contrary) and refereeing well is hard, refereeing to keep everyone happy is as close to impossible as you'll get.
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

marooned wrote:Definate penalty. Unfortunately the problem with playing advantage is that some players are not smart or clever enough to continue and use this advantage. Same as passive offside, some players and linesmen just dont get it. I tell teams to play the whistle yet they continue to scream for fouls and offside because they are not switched on to whats happening.
I find that the lower the level that I ref, the worse the screaming becomes.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

wrong decision (assuming the second foul was actually a foul)
player continued with advantage and gained one from doing so and was then fouled

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Loppermann wrote:wrong decision (assuming the second foul was actually a foul)
player continued with advantage and gained one from doing so and was then fouled
Correct. Direction to match officials is to "penalize the more serious offence if more than one offence happens at the same time" ie, foul outside box continues into box, penalty. Or in this case advantage gained and then fouled a second time.

Pommy09
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Pommy09 »

seeing as the ref called advantage for the first incident, then technically speaking it should be a penalty, however if the ref just waited to see if there was any advantage then it should be a free kick from the first foul
CMON U SAINTS

There's only one le tissier