Booking For Wearing An Earing

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Booking For Wearing An Earing

Post by swannsong »

At a Reserves game yesterday a goalkeeper was booked by a club refereefor not having removed an earring (although the referee didn't check the players before kick off).
I know technically the club referee is probably right but considering some of the challenges made during the game that went without warning...I thought it was somewhat trivial.....he could have just asked the player to remove the adornments ????
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Booking For Wearing An Earing

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:At a Reserves game yesterday a goalkeeper was booked by a club refereefor not having removed an earring (although the referee didn't check the players before kick off).
I know technically the club referee is probably right but considering some of the challenges made during the game that went without warning...I thought it was somewhat trivial.....he could have just asked the player to remove the adornments ????

Ref's fault for not checking before the game. Common sense is something lacking with many these days (ie yes, just remove them or tape it up).
Ignore this signature

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Bomber wrote:
swannsong wrote:At a Reserves game yesterday a goalkeeper was booked by a club refereefor not having removed an earring (although the referee didn't check the players before kick off).

Ref's fault for not checking before the game. Common sense is something lacking with many these days (ie yes, just remove them or tape it up).
@swannsong: Seems excessive unless the Ref did ask the player to remove it. If the player ignored the request then a caution for dissent would then be appropriate.

@Bomber: Not allowed to tape it up any jewellery. It has to be removed.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Rob Lozza wrote:
Bomber wrote:

@swannsong: Seems excessive unless the Ref did ask the player to remove it. If the player ignored the request then a caution for dissent would then be appropriate.

@Bomber: Not allowed to tape it up any jewellery. It has to be removed.
No warning....keeper made an innocuous comment...."whole of the ball has to be out"...referee approached the keeper (I presumed he was booking him for the innocuous comment.... apparently just went over to have a word...noticed the earrings and booked keeper for earrings....keeper then removed them...

Two Cent's Worth
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Two Cent's Worth »

Bomber wrote:Ref's fault for not checking before the game.
Pig's arsé. Players should know better. A goalkeeper also holds up play. A field player can go off the pitch and play can resume which is not the case with a keeper, who more than likely would have to take his gloves to remove said item, and then expect everyone to wait for him to put his gloves back on.
Two cents these days is worth nothing

Between the Sticks
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Between the Sticks »

load of bollocks.....rules about jewelry have been in place for some time now and players including keepers should know better....harsh or not the onous is on the player not the referee...he is not their mother
retired handy man!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Two Cent's Worth wrote:
Bomber wrote:Ref's fault for not checking before the game.
Pig's arsé. Players should know better. A goalkeeper also holds up play. A field player can go off the pitch and play can resume which is not the case with a keeper, who more than likely would have to take his gloves to remove said item, and then expect everyone to wait for him to put his gloves back on.
Said goalkeeper has not played for a long time and jewellery (ear pins) you hardly remember you are wearing them I would think. I personally remove all my bling when I play......apart from the nipple rings :wink:

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

swannsong wrote: Said goalkeeper has not played for a long time and jewellery (ear pins) you hardly remember you are wearing them I would think. I personally remove all my bling when I play......apart from the nipple rings :wink:
Regardless of how long ago he played it has been a rule for many a year and most players adhere to it however at the end of the day the ruling is NO JEWELLERY (except for those nipple rings) and if he decides not to adhere to the rule then his fault. Did no one else perhaps mention he had to take them out?

By the way did you put it back in once you finished playing swannie? :P
HA'WAY THE LADS

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
swannsong wrote: Said goalkeeper has not played for a long time and jewellery (ear pins) you hardly remember you are wearing them I would think. I personally remove all my bling when I play......apart from the nipple rings :wink:
Regardless of how long ago he played it has been a rule for many a year and most players adhere to it however at the end of the day the ruling is NO JEWELLERY (except for those nipple rings) and if he decides not to adhere to the rule then his fault. Did no one else perhaps mention he had to take them out?

By the way did you put it back in once you finished playing swannie? :P
Said goalkeeper wasn't me....the only jewellery I have are the family jewels :D

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

Rob Lozza wrote: @swannsong: Seems excessive unless the Ref did ask the player to remove it. If the player ignored the request then a caution for dissent would then be appropriate.

I don't think players should have to be told, either during or before a game. We all know the rules.

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Power04 wrote:
Rob Lozza wrote: @swannsong: Seems excessive unless the Ref did ask the player to remove it. If the player ignored the request then a caution for dissent would then be appropriate.

I don't think players should have to be told, either during or before a game. We all know the rules.
Yes, every player should know the laws as well but they don't.

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

IMHO a caution for the ear ring is not correct. Law 4 which deals with player equipment including jewellery; it states where equipment needs to be adjusted the player leaves the field and corrects it. As play had stopped, removing it should have been the end of it. As for a caution, a quick look at Law 12:
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
The only offence that would seem to apply is unsporting behaviour and I do not see the conduct as described as USB. If the player was asked several times maybe, but removing a player from the field would I am sure bring prompt action.
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

robs2107 wrote:IMHO a caution for the ear ring is not correct. Law 4 which deals with player equipment including jewellery; it states where equipment needs to be adjusted the player leaves the field and corrects it. As play had stopped, removing it should have been the end of it. As for a caution, a quick look at Law 12:
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
The only offence that would seem to apply is unsporting behaviour and I do not see the conduct as described as USB. If the player was asked several times maybe, but removing a player from the field would I am sure bring prompt action.
you missed dangerous play
earrings count as something that is dangerous to another player

Mr.G
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mr.G »

Only gay men wear earings.

Evergreen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior