Halfway line flags

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Halfway line flags

Post by Hawkesy »

The General wrote:Apparently,in the English FA competition,only clubs that have won the FA Cup are allowed to have flags at the halfway line.

incorrect.

However, teams that have won the FA Cup are allowed triangular flags.
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Hawkesy wrote:
The General wrote:Apparently,in the English FA competition,only clubs that have won the FA Cup are allowed to have flags at the halfway line.

incorrect.

I suppose at Millwall they will have the rectangular ones for a long, long time.
Ignore this signature

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Bomber wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:

incorrect.

I suppose at Millwall they will have the rectangular ones for a long, long time.
correct! but at least I support my local team not just piking a team because they were the top of the league.

I guarantee we'll get triangular flags before your team.

Oh and add in

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I guarantee you wont - at Croydon we have some spare ones out the back which are triangular! Or maybe you are talking Liverpool? I think they may have won a few FA cups already.
Ignore this signature

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Hawkesy wrote:

incorrect.

Thankyou for clarifying that, me thinks someone was trying to pull the big sheeps coat over my vision organs.Cheers.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Bomber wrote:I guarantee you wont - at Croydon we have some spare ones out the back which are triangular! Or maybe you are talking Liverpool? I think they may have won a few FA cups already.
you are indeed correct, however we will earn those flags by winning the FA cup before your team. :wink:

Oh and add in

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Drusetta wrote:I should've explained. I know corner flags are in the rules, and that they must be at least 5ft high. My question was more philosophical.

Would you cancel a game if corner flags were 4 ft high?

I just wonder what practical purpose they really serve in today's game. Especially with most grounds being fenced: the fence provides a point of reference.
corner flags act in a similar way to goal posts
if the ball crosses the line on one side, goal kick/corner
if the ball crosses the line on the other side, throw in
if the ball hits the pole and stays in, play on
it helps clear up debate on whether something is a corner/goal kick or throw in
that still relies on the ref making the right call though... just ask Neil Warnock

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Loppermann wrote:
Drusetta wrote:I should've explained. I know corner flags are in the rules, and that they must be at least 5ft high. My question was more philosophical.

I just wonder what practical purpose they really serve in today's game. Especially with most grounds being fenced: the fence provides a point of reference.
that still relies on the ref making the right call though... just ask Neil Warnock

I would play the game without corner flags if none were available. The correct procedure would then be to report the incident to the controling league authority.

Oh and add in

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Hawkesy wrote:
Loppermann wrote:

I would play the game without corner flags if none were available. The correct procedure would then be to report the incident to the controling league authority.
depends what level it was at
if it was a bunch of school kids, I'm sure no one would mind as they just want to have a kick around
amateur league might be pushing it... especially if it resulted in a contecious decision
end of the day, if you stick to the FIFA rules and refuse to start the game, they can't touch you

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Loppermann wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:I would play the game without corner flags if none were available. The correct procedure would then be to report the incident to the controling league authority.
if it was a bunch of school kids, I'm sure no one would mind as they just want to have a kick around
amateur league might be pushing it... especially if it resulted in a contecious decision
end of the day, if you stick to the FIFA rules and refuse to start the game, they can't touch you

I'd play it in the amateur league as well. 22 blokes want to play football and one bloke is going to stop it because of missing flags. In fact this exact example was used during the course I went on.

If both sides want to play, let them play. Law 18 is the most underused law by refs at any level of the game.

Oh and add in

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I usually find that Referees who try to be exactly to the letter of the law,have trouble referee-ing,as someone has already quoted "they know the rules really well,just dont know how to apply them."
They let players kick the crap out of each other and let it go,pull up all the petty stuff.

muts
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by muts »

Hawkesy wrote:I'd play it in the amateur league as well. 22 blokes want to play football and one bloke is going to stop it because of missing flags. In fact this exact example was used during the course I went on.

If both sides want to play, let them play. Law 18 is the most underused law by refs at any level of the game.

If the 22 guys want to play that much, that'd better find some corner flags :P
Athletic Supporter

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Hawkesy wrote:
Loppermann wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:I would play the game without corner flags if none were available. The correct procedure would then be to report the incident to the controling league authority.

I'd play it in the amateur league as well. 22 blokes want to play football and one bloke is going to stop it because of missing flags. In fact this exact example was used during the course I went on.

the ref's bound to be the most unpopular man on the pitch anyway, so it makes little difference
if both teams agree to play and accept corner/goal kick/throw in decisions, then fine... but I'd imagine the away team might have something to say about it if it was an important match