Tough draws for Olyroos and Matildas @ Tokyo/Japan

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Tough draws for Olyroos and Matildas @ Tokyo/Japan

Post by In the way »

in the words of the famous Mark Williams..."I was wrong" with my predictions.
knockout stage, anybodies game now - I hope the Matildas take the game on and dont serve up that rubbish again like the other night. Kennedy and Carpenter got more touches than the rest of the team put together.
How lucky are the Matildas, , they finish third in their group, and get the easiest team of the lot in the quarters - if they dont make the final now they never will.
You have to take the game on in these matches - Egypt 2-0 up play good football, and kept pressing for a third have to admire that.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

Bomber wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 am Arnold was going to "shock the world".

I was not shocked, but seeing, as grosso puts it, a Mickey Mouse tournament, why the big deal then?
just worry about the making the world cup , we like to think olympics gives us a better chance at something but reality is we are still a minor nation at football
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

In the way wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am in the words of the famous Mark Williams..."I was wrong" with my predictions.
knockout stage, anybodies game now - I hope the Matildas take the game on and dont serve up that rubbish again like the other night. Kennedy and Carpenter got more touches than the rest of the team put together.
How lucky are the Matildas, , they finish third in their group, and get the easiest team of the lot in the quarters - if they dont make the final now they never will.
Easiest Team ???? In the words of the famous Roberta Williams “getfuckingfucked”

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

N5 1BH wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:01 pm
In the way wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am in the words of the famous Mark Williams..."I was wrong" with my predictions.
Easiest Team ???? In the words of the famous Roberta Williams “getfuckingfucked”
lol
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Dave now from No 9 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 pm
lol
lol

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

I was not shocked, but seeing, as grosso puts it, a Mickey Mouse tournament, why the big deal then?
it is a Mickey Mouse tournament for football powers, but its important for Australia and they still failed

the game has gone backwards 40 years since the FFA was created and they let a bunch of rowers and bankers run football here

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm

it is a Mickey Mouse tournament for football powers, but its important for Australia and they still failed

the game has gone backwards 40 years since the FFA was created and they let a bunch of rowers and bankers run football here
Result doesn't bother me much to be honest. In fact, I have yet to watch a single minute of any Olympic event let alone any football matches.
Ignore this signature

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Bomber wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:00 pm
Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm

Result doesn't bother me much to be honest. In fact, I have yet to watch a single minute of any Olympic event let alone any football matches.
I watched some of it. Forget the result, the performance was abysmal. In 2 games they didn't even create a single clear chance and couldn't string passes together. They didn't even look like professional footballers, they looked like a bad A-league team.

The only tactic they had to try to score was long throws to the 6'6 guy which didn't find him once.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

just waiting for the Foster V Arnie interview......oh wait.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Tough for the Aussies playing against 4 nations combined. . ;-)

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:12 pm :wave: last place

stick to scraps sports that no one cares about skips
Like basketball?
It's all in the Delivery!

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

damn....i was hoping for penalties...the win wouldve been more special....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 pm damn....i was hoping for penalties...the win wouldve been more special....
Lucky we had the weakest side to play as opponents :grin:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm
MegaBonus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 pm damn....i was hoping for penalties...the win wouldve been more special....
Don’t understand this post. Great Britain were second favourites overall to win gold.

G.B. were very dominant at various stages and hit the goal-frame 3 times, but Australia managed to win 4-3.

This was an exciting knockout Q.F. on a Friday night and the TV audience was massive, except for the haters of all things Aussie on FN who were probably watching a nothing AFL game or some movie rerun.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

lol women's football is unwatchable

so in a 12 team tournament you beat NZ and a country that doesn't exist in football outside of the Olympics, while getting destroyed by Sweden and having a biscotto with the USA :lol:

big deal

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Con M wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:09 pm
eagleboy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm
Don’t understand this post. Great Britain were second favourites overall to win gold.

G.B. were very dominant at various stages and hit the goal-frame 3 times, but Australia managed to win 4-3.

This was an exciting knockout Q.F. on a Friday night and the TV audience was massive, except for the haters of all things Aussie on FN who were probably watching a nothing AFL game or some movie rerun.
I cancelled my kids' team training so that all the players and their parents could watch.

Looks like the gold ain't coming home again. :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

another famous quote.." I told you so "

another quote "Matildas will win gold " the draw has opened up for them with the Dutchies gone, everything is falling into place the gold medal is theirs to lose.
The standard of this competition has not been great, which suits our style

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Sam Kerr is a superstar for women's football. The English girl last night that scored 3 had a good night. Good to see ex AU player Mary Fowler score a screamer to put Australia in front.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:57 pm all 3 of them
Another Grosso prediction gone wrong .

Matilda will be seen in 6 now .

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

ozzie owl wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:05 pm

they couldn't even beat an U/15 boys team and you waste your time watching these unco hacks on TV

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm

they couldn't even beat an U/15 boys team and you waste your time watching these unco hacks on TV

Your prediction rate is pretty poor .

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

ozzie owl wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:10 pm
Grosso Mk II wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Your prediction rate is pretty poor .
what prediction?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

On Friday night, 2.24 million Aussies tuned in via Channel Seven as the Matildas claimed a 4-3 win over Great Britain in an unforgettable quarter-final that was forced to extra time.
Those numbers smashed a record the Matildas had only just broken a week prior when 1.4 million watched them lose 4-2 against Sweden in the group stages.
At the time, that figure was the largest audience for a women's team sport in Australian TV history and edged the number of viewers Naomi Osaka drew in when she beat Serena Williams at the 2019 Australian Open.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

people weren't forced to be shut in their homes during 2019 Australian Open

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:13 pm On Friday night, 2.24 million Aussies tuned in via Channel Seven as the Matildas claimed a 4-3 win over Great Britain in an unforgettable quarter-final that was forced to extra time.
Those numbers smashed a record the Matildas had only just broken a week prior when 1.4 million watched them lose 4-2 against Sweden in the group stages.
At the time, that figure was the largest audience for a women's team sport in Australian TV history and edged the number of viewers Naomi Osaka drew in when she beat Serena Williams at the 2019 Australian Open.
[/quote

Fantastic ratings figures for football .

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

ozzie owl wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:04 pm
eagleboy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:13 pm On Friday night, 2.24 million Aussies tuned in via Channel Seven as the Matildas claimed a 4-3 win over Great Britain in an unforgettable quarter-final that was forced to extra time.
its not for football

its for 'women' playing sports plus there's nothing else on and there's nothing else to do for all the childless women sitting at home during a lockdown

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:48 am
its not for football

its for 'women' playing sports plus there's nothing else on and there's nothing else to do for all the childless women sitting at home during a lockdown
Grosso Mk II wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 am not watching any of the Olympics, except a couple of football games and some basketball
You must have been 1 of those stats that watched it. :clap: Has the Italian diving team been on yet.?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am
Grosso Mk II wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:48 am
its not for football

Grosso Mk II wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 am not watching any of the Olympics, except a couple of football games and some basketball
You must have been 1 of those stats that watched it. :clap: Has the Italian diving team been on yet.?
No doubt he will be watching again tonight supporting Sweden.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

I don't watch women's football.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

brilliant