Tough draws for Olyroos and Matildas @ Tokyo/Japan

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Tough draws for Olyroos and Matildas @ Tokyo/Japan

Post by Con M »

Group stages have been drawn. Damn, I was hoping for kinder draws.

Olyroos: Spain, Argentina, Egypt & Australia.

Matildas: USA, Sweden, NZ & Australia.

It’s going to be tough to be 1st or 2nd in those groups to qualify for the quarter-finals. More’s the pity because exposure for the National Teams and the game is going to be great. TV viewing times will be good because of only 30 minutes difference in time zones between Japan and Australia.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Tough draws for Olyroos and Matildas @ Tokyo/Japan

Post by bloodypassit »

Con M wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am Group stages have been drawn. Damn, I was hoping for kinder draws.

It’s going to be tough to be 1st or 2nd in those groups to qualify for the quarter-finals. More’s the pity because exposure for the National Teams and the game is going to be great. TV viewing times will be good because of only 30 minutes difference in time zones between Japan and Australia.
how much will they telecast ....

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

bloodypassit wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 am
Con M wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am Group stages have been drawn. Damn, I was hoping for kinder draws.

how much will they telecast ....
SBS have the rights to both series, I believe, so hopefully we will get access to most Socceroo & Matilde's matches.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

all 3 of them

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Olyroos full squad for the Tokyo Games (*= over-age player)
PLAYER POSITION AGE
Daniel Arzani Forward 22
Nathaniel Atkinson Defender 22
Keanu Baccus Midfielder 23
Nicholas D'Agostino Forward 23
Thomas Deng Defender 24
Mitchell Duke* Forward 30
Denis Genreau Midfielder 22
Thomas Glover Goalkeeper 23
Joel King Defender 20
Ashley Maynard-Brewer Goalkeeper 22
Riley McGree Midfielder 22
Connor Metcalfe Midfielder 21
Dylan Pierias Midfielder 21
Reno Piscopo Forward 23
Kye Rowles Defender 23
Harry Souttar Defender 22
Ruon Tongyik* Defender 24
Caleb Watts Midfielder 19
Cameron Devlin, Jordan Holmes, Ramy Najjarine and Lachlan Wales have been named as train on players for the Olyroos and could be called up if needed.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Matildas versus NZ 9pm Wednesday 21 July telecast on Ch7.

Argentina versus Olyroos 8pm Thursday 22 July telecast on 7Mate.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

A Good start with a 2-1 win against NZ, although should have won by more.

The surprise in their group was the highly-rated USA going down to Sweden 0-3.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

which country are they representing?

:lol:

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

very poor form by both sides with the flag, and the knee down.. The problem with doing things like that there will be players in the team who do not agree to it but will be bullied into it.
2-1 against a side that has had little preparation and wont win a game is nothing to get excited about.
When we made changes that upset the team balance, real test will come in our next two games.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:29 am which country are they representing?

:lol:
Virtue signaling at its best. :roll:
Ignore this signature

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

SK causing trouble again - no wonder they played terrible in second half they are focussed on the wrong things, lost the second half 1-0 and showed signs of frustration. With that attitude be lucky to win another game.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nothing wrong with the Aboriginal Flag to acknowledge the indigenous girls in the team, although there is an update of it I’m going to patent - a kangaroo 🦘 superimposed over the gold sun in the middle of that flag which the whole World would then identify with Australia.

Nothing wrong with taking the knee re BLM - I’m sure some forumites know of the term “positive discrimination” which may raise awareness and help correct injustices of the past.

But just back to the game, it’s a pity they didn’t score more goals in that dominant positive first half. And I hope that 91st-minute goal they conceded doesn’t come back to haunt them in their quest for 2nd place in this Group (or a high-ranking 3rd place which can still get a team into a quarter-final).

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Con M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 pm Nothing wrong with the Aboriginal Flag to acknowledge the indigenous girls in the team, although there is an update of it I’m going to patent - a kangaroo 🦘 superimposed over the gold sun in the middle of that flag which the whole World would then identify with Australia.

Nothing wrong with taking the knee re BLM - I’m sure some forumites know of the term “positive discrimination” which may raise awareness and help correct injustices of the past.

But just back to the game, it’s a pity they didn’t score more goals in that dominant positive first half. And I hope that 91st-minute goal they conceded doesn’t come back to haunt them in their quest for 2nd place in this Group (or a high-ranking 3rd place which can still get a team into a quarter-final).
how many aboriginals in this team?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:30 pm
Con M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 pm Nothing wrong with the Aboriginal Flag to acknowledge the indigenous girls in the team, although there is an update of it I’m going to patent - a kangaroo 🦘 superimposed over the gold sun in the middle of that flag which the whole World would then identify with Australia.

how many aboriginals in this team?
Well, off the top of my head Samantha Kerr, Kyah Simon and Lydia Williams.

Like you say - “I’m not your Mama”. Why couldn’t you look it up?

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Samantha Kerr? I thought she was of Anglo-Indian descent?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

grumbly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:42 pm Samantha Kerr? I thought she was of Anglo-Indian descent?
Huh? I thought she was the sister of Daniel Kerr, the aboriginal ex-West Coast Eagles AFL player..

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

So you're all for politics mixing in with sport?

All this knee business is doing is creating more division if anything and doing absolutely nothing to "correct" injustices of the past.

"Positive discrimination" that's a laugh. "Reverse racism" is more apt when talking about BLM.
Ignore this signature

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Con M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:54 pm
grumbly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:42 pm Samantha Kerr? I thought she was of Anglo-Indian descent?
Huh? I thought she was the sister of Daniel Kerr, the aboriginal ex-West Coast Eagles AFL player..
they're Indians you dope :oops:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:10 pm
Stop your insults. The records show her father Roger has an Anglo-Indian heritage and her mother Roxanne was born in Australia with not much other detail about her.

And you raised the question earlier - what do you say about Kyah Simon and Lydia Williams and their heritage?

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Con M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 pm
Stop your insults. The records show her father Roger has an Anglo-Indian heritage and her mother Roxanne was born in Australia with not much other detail about her.

And you raised the question earlier - what do you say about Kyah Simon and Lydia Williams and their heritage?
how embarrassing for Mr Woke to be so wrong :oops:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Con M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 pm

how embarrassing for Mr Woke to be so wrong :oops:
You prove I’m wrong from what I’ve read about her. Sam Kerr says she belongs to Aboriginal ethnicity, she is a proud aboriginal and she frequently mentions her racial heritage whenever she gets a chance. And nothing to add about Kyah Simon or Lydia Williams?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Likely Olyroos team versus Argentina: 8pm Thursday 22 July on Ch 7Mate.

Glover

Atkinson Deng Souttar King

Genrau

McGree Watts Metcalfe Arzani

Duke

Good luck to Gawler boy Riley McGree. I do hope he starts.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

love the Serbian referee thus far
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Half time Australia 1 Argentina 0.

Lachie Wales with an early goal and might have had his second just before half-time but hit the post.

And Riley McGree would have made headlines if his overhead bicycle kick had gone in.

Argentina a man down with that send-off so I hope Arnie can get them thoroughly organised to make that advantage count.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Australia winners 2-0 over twice-gold medallists Argentina!

What a goal by Marco Tilio after just coming on!

And it might have been 3-0 when Mitch Duke scraped the outside of the post in the 95th.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

admittedly, haven't always been complimentary of Arnie as the National Team coach but good on him and the team for a fantastic result.

it was good to see Australia merge cultural playing strengths ie speed, strength, physicality with possession football.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

TYhis is good for football.

Ahead of the Olympics opening ceremony on Friday, Australia's female football stars took centre stage on Channel Seven and successfully drew a massive audience.

According to OzTAM data shared by TV Blackbox, 635,000 viewers across Australia's five biggest cities tuned in for the match.

To put that number in perspective, the new season of The Bachelor could only manage to attract an audience of 482,000 on the same night.

Those figures also don't account for fans that streamed the game via 7Plus - which looms as the best way to access Olympics content over the next month.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

great results by the boys and just need a result again Spain or Egypt to go through to the quarters

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Fantastic game by our young men,bring on Spain & Egypt.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

MegaBonus wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 pm love the Serbian referee thus far
He was a classic, obviously had enough of the pushing and shoving at that corner when he yellow carded the Argie player for the 2nd time in about 2 minutes