AFC U-23 Championship

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AFC U-23 Championship

Post by Con M »

Australia versus South Korea in the semifinal starting 11.30pm Adelaide time Wednesday 22 January 2020 on Fox Ch 503.

Win this and it’s off to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Lose and it’s do-or-die in the 3rd place play-off.

Without getting ahead of things, imagine adding the 4 suspended players to the squad PLUS the 3 over-23 senior players allowed in say, Matt Ryan, Aaron Mooy & one other. They could be quite competitive in Tokyo/Japan and have good exposure on prime-time TV in Australia.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Unfortunately a really poor performance during the 0-0 first half with the midfielders & forwards completely anonymous.

South Korea deserved to take the lead on 56 mins.

Can’t believe it’s taken nearly an hour for Arnie to realise the team has to defend those short corners with two players. Up until then the two on one Koreans were virtually walking past the one defender against the short corners...

Final score a 2-0 win to South Korea on a night that was easily Australia’s worst performance in this tournament. South Korea had 10 corners and even as late as the 85th minute the Olyroos had lapsed back into defending with only one man against two opponents taking their short corners. Would have thought that basic coaching principle of defending those with two men was a given. Did Arnie’s army of coaching assistants even say anything to him?

Let’s hope that in Saturday’s 3rd place play-off Uzbekistan don’t have the superb technique that the Koreans did.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Con M wrote:Unfortunately a really poor performance during the 0-0 first half with the midfielders & forwards completely anonymous.

South Korea deserved to take the lead on 56 mins.

Can’t believe it’s taken nearly an hour for Arnie to realise the team has to defend those short corners with two players. Up until then the two on one Koreans were virtually walking past the one defender against the short corners...

Final score a 2-0 win to South Korea on a night that was easily Australia’s worst performance in this tournament. South Korea had 10 corners and even as late as the 85th minute the Olyroos had lapsed back into defending with only one man against two opponents taking their short corners. Would have thought that basic coaching principle of defending those with two men was a given. Did Arnie’s army of coaching assistants even say anything to him?

Let’s hope that in Saturday’s 3rd place play-off Uzbekistan don’t have the superb technique that the Koreans did.
wonder if Uzbekistan will use same corners strategy ?

Old Master
In Memory of Les Murray
In Memory of Les Murray

Post by Old Master »

Very poor game and further confirms my point made some time ago, that Arnold has never really grasped Asian Football tactics.

He never achieved much in Asia when in charge at Sydenee and demonstrated that further in the last Asian Championship.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by eagleboy »

Old Master wrote:Very poor game and further confirms my point made some time ago, that Arnold has never really grasped Asian Football tactics.

He never achieved much in Asia when in charge at Sydenee and demonstrated that further in the last Asian Championship.
Probably correct but our attaching players were poor. They waited for the ball and their disposal shocking. South Korea is a v good side, very skillful. I don't think Arnie selected the best starting line-up.

eagleboy
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:

Without getting ahead of things, imagine adding the 4 suspended players to the squad PLUS the 3 over-23 senior players allowed in say, Matt Ryan, Aaron Mooy & one other. They could be quite competitive in Tokyo/Japan and have good exposure on prime-time TV in Australia.

Glover in goals looked a likely Socceroo GK of the future. If we get through Ryan would be a luxury. We may need a McLaren , Boyce or similar that can score goals. Moy a definite. Someone on the wing or a vg defensive player.

oneleggedseagull
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by oneleggedseagull »

eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:

Glover in goals looked a likely Socceroo GK of the future. If we get through Ryan would be a luxury. We may need a McLaren , Boyce or similar that can score goals. Moy a definite. Someone on the wing or a vg defensive player.
The only one better than McLaren is Taggert. In my eye's Taggert is streets ahead.
I wish we had Germany's problem at U23's. This weekend two goals were scored by Shalke, both cored by 19 yo strikers. Australia can't even get any of their senior players good enough to play in the Bundesliga!
I reckon even if our U23's made the Olympics they'd not make it out of the group. Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, England, USA, Croatia etc have that job.

Oh I've got to thank the sports section's of ANY of our contests. Tennis, BBL, who gorged themselves. and did your job well commenting on sport no-one outside this country knows is happening, or in BBL, what the hell, it is?

Grosso Mk II
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

lol at these excuses

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

oneleggedseagull wrote:
eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:

The only one better than McLaren is Taggert. In my eye's Taggert is streets ahead.
I wish we had Germany's problem at U23's. This weekend two goals were scored by Shalke, both cored by 19 yo strikers. Australia can't even get any of their senior players good enough to play in the Bundesliga!
I reckon even if our U23's made the Olympics they'd not make it out of the group. Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, England, USA, Croatia etc have that job.

Oh I've got to thank the sports section's of ANY of our contests. Tennis, BBL, who gorged themselves. and did your job well commenting on sport no-one outside this country knows is happening, or in BBL, what the hell, it is?
Brandon Borello plays for Freiburg SC in the Bundesliga.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

oneleggedseagull wrote:
eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:

oneleggedseagull
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by oneleggedseagull »

themessenger wrote:
Thanks, although I've only watched the weekly highlights, is he a striker?