Matildas/Women's World Cup

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Matildas/Women's World Cup

Post by United We Stand »

Congratulations to the Matildas for the 1-0 win over Chile last night. I was unable to be there, but it was good to see a healthy crowd on a Tuesday night.

I was also happy to read that the State Government has now officially backed the bid for the 2023 Women's World Cup bid. They copped a backlash back in August for initially declining to be part of it, but credit where it is due.

Lastly, congratulations to Val M for his follow up article where he outlines his views about the Matildas and his hopes for Cooper's Stadium now that it is a possible venue to stage Women's World Cup Finals in 2023. I totally agree with his sentiments. This is an ideal opportunity to upgrade Cooper's Stadium properly to a 20-25K stadium so that we can secure regular international football matches.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Matildas/Women's World Cup

Post by Michael »

link for those who dont have digital subscription?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

United We Stand wrote:Congratulations to the Matildas for the 1-0 win over Chile last night. I was unable to be there, but it was good to see a healthy crowd on a Tuesday night.

I was also happy to read that the State Government has now officially backed the bid for the 2023 Women's World Cup bid. They copped a backlash back in August for initially declining to be part of it, but credit where it is due.

Lastly, congratulations to Val M for his follow up article where he outlines his views about the Matildas and his hopes for Cooper's Stadium now that it is a possible venue to stage Women's World Cup Finals in 2023. I totally agree with his sentiments. This is an ideal opportunity to upgrade Cooper's Stadium properly to a 20-25K stadium so that we can secure regular international football matches.
I agree but can you see the government cough up the $150m quoted by AVM at the AU member info night?

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

ozzie owl wrote:
United We Stand wrote:Congratulations to the Matildas for the 1-0 win over Chile last night. I was unable to be there, but it was good to see a healthy crowd on a Tuesday night.

I agree but can you see the government cough up the $150m quoted by AVM at the AU member info night?
The government wouldn't cough up that sort of money to fix hindmarsh, if anything it would go to a multipurpose stadium

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

ozzie owl wrote:

That would only buy 2 beers and a pie through AVM!

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Last Tuesday, our State Government announced that they would officially back the bid to secure the 2023 Women's World Cup Finals. Adelaide would host these games at Cooper's Stadium. Apparently, the State Government was not offered a "good deal" by the FFA earlier his year. The decision to expand the Women's World Cup Finals to thirty two teams also necessitated changes to the entry requirements. The announcement was strategically timed to coincide with the Matildas playing Chile that evening. This obviously promotes the Marshall Government in a positive manner.

The significance of this is that it commits the State Government to upgrading Cooper's Stadium so that it would be FIFA compliant. It also commits the State to providing training facilities that conform to FIFA standards. It prompts some questions for this forum.

Would any upgrade of Cooper's Stadium going to happen because of the needs of Adelaide United? We all agree that AU do not "need" a new stadium. Is it dependent on AU filling Cooper's? Is the answer not that it is going to happen only because we are involved in a huge international sports event (Women's World Cup)? Would this not be "progress" for the game? Would it not mean that we can apply for other FIFA events?

Is being being part of a successful bid going to benefit the local football scene? Of course it would. Apart from upgrading Cooper's, Adelaide will need multiple FIFA standard grass pitches as part of the training facilities that are a requirement for the teams based in the Adelaide group. Would the provision of these happen if Adelaide wasn't part of the bid?

Will the successful hosting of a group for the 2023 event be an "economic" boost to Adelaide? Will there be ongoing benefits after the games to Adelaide, and indeed South Australia? Should South Australia bid for major sporting and cultural events or just ignore them? Is hosting major sporting and cultural events not a "opportunity" to upgrade sporting facilities and other infrastructure? Would Adelaide being part of this not be promoting the city to the world? The promotional value would be enormous both for the game and Adelaide/South Australia.

I also agree with Val M when he wrote that this is an opportunity for football to regain control of Cooper's Stadium. I don't hold any realistic hopes for this to happen, but it would be a boost to have the football community control the management of the stadium.

P.S Cooper, I agree with the view the State Government would not cough up $150 million, the figure quoted at the AU Members forum, by AVM. This is only likely if they can attract Federal funding.However, that is more likely than spending a billion dollars plus for a "multipurpose stadium." The multipurpose stadium made sense as a "centrepiece" of Adelaide's bid for the Commonwealth Games (An event involving 71 nations!!) as it definitely would have attracted Federal/Private Sector funding. The State Government will spend the minimum amount just to make Cooper's Stadium FIFA compliant in the present economic climate.

Let us all hope that Australia is successful in its bid to host the 2023 Women's World Cup Finals (An event involving 32 finalists). It would be great for the game in Australia.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

United We Stand wrote:Last Tuesday, our State Government announced that they would officially back the bid to secure the 2023 Women's World Cup Finals. Adelaide would host these games at Cooper's Stadium. Apparently, the State Government was not offered a "good deal" by the FFA earlier his year. The decision to expand the Women's World Cup Finals to thirty two teams also necessitated changes to the entry requirements. The announcement was strategically timed to coincide with the Matildas playing Chile that evening. This obviously promotes the Marshall Government in a positive manner.

The significance of this is that it commits the State Government to upgrading Cooper's Stadium so that it would be FIFA compliant. It also commits the State to providing training facilities that conform to FIFA standards. It prompts some questions for this forum.

Would any upgrade of Cooper's Stadium going to happen because of the needs of Adelaide United? We all agree that AU do not "need" a new stadium. Is it dependent on AU filling Cooper's? Is the answer not that it is going to happen only because we are involved in a huge international sports event (Women's World Cup)? Would this not be "progress" for the game? Would it not mean that we can apply for other FIFA events?

Is being being part of a successful bid going to benefit the local football scene? Of course it would. Apart from upgrading Cooper's, Adelaide will need multiple FIFA standard grass pitches as part of the training facilities that are a requirement for the teams based in the Adelaide group. Would the provision of these happen if Adelaide wasn't part of the bid?

Will the successful hosting of a group for the 2023 event be an "economic" boost to Adelaide? Will there be ongoing benefits after the games to Adelaide, and indeed South Australia? Should South Australia bid for major sporting and cultural events or just ignore them? Is hosting major sporting and cultural events not a "opportunity" to upgrade sporting facilities and other infrastructure? Would Adelaide being part of this not be promoting the city to the world? The promotional value would be enormous both for the game and Adelaide/South Australia.

I also agree with Val M when he wrote that this is an opportunity for football to regain control of Cooper's Stadium. I don't hold any realistic hopes for this to happen, but it would be a boost to have the football community control the management of the stadium.

P.S Cooper, I agree with the view the State Government would not cough up $150 million, the figure quoted at the AU Members forum, by AVM. This is only likely if they can attract Federal funding.However, that is more likely than spending a billion dollars plus for a "multipurpose stadium." The multipurpose stadium made sense as a "centrepiece" of Adelaide's bid for the Commonwealth Games (An event involving 71 nations!!) as it definitely would have attracted Federal/Private Sector funding. The State Government will spend the minimum amount just to make Cooper's Stadium FIFA compliant in the present economic climate.

Let us all hope that Australia is successful in its bid to host the 2023 Women's World Cup Finals (An event involving 32 finalists). It would be great for the game in Australia.
There is so much flipping and flopping by you in this monologue, given you're held-fast mantra of we must have a new multipurpose stadium at all costs.

When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Raich Carter wrote:
United We Stand wrote:Last Tuesday, our State Government announced that they would officially back the bid to secure the 2023 Women's World Cup Finals. Adelaide would host these games at Cooper's Stadium. Apparently, the State Government was not offered a "good deal" by the FFA earlier his year. The decision to expand the Women's World Cup Finals to thirty two teams also necessitated changes to the entry requirements. The announcement was strategically timed to coincide with the Matildas playing Chile that evening. This obviously promotes the Marshall Government in a positive manner.

There is so much flipping and flopping by you in this monologue, given you're held-fast mantra of we must have a new multipurpose stadium at all costs.

Raich, there is no "flip flopping" at all. I have held a consistent line in my posts. The issue of a multipurpose stadium was argued at the time because the State Government was seriously considering it as part of a possible bid for the Commonwealth Games. The Deloitte Report scuttled that. You may remember at that time the Government announced that it would not be spending any money on Cooper's Stadium and was looking at other options ( Multipurpose Stadium at the railway yards). I stand by everything I wrote about the multipurpose stadium.

The recent announcement that the State Government was officially backing our Women's World Cup bid changes things. Now, the State Government wants to make Cooper's Stadium FIFA compliant and has nominated it as the venue for these games.It is the State Government that has done a backflip. Obviously the context of this issue has dramatically changed. This is reflected in what I am now writing.

P.S The consistent message in my posts has been that bidding for major sporting events (Commonwealth Games. Women's World Cup Finals) is an opportunity for Adelaide to upgrade its sporting facilities and how it can benefit our great game. Where have I "'flip flopped" on that?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Raich Carter wrote:

Why do you even bother engaging with him? He has no idea what he is on aoout, as proven (almost) every time he gets to his keyboard.
You get more sense from me and GIAE as we are at least consistant and know what we want - and is usually achievable. UWS is just a clueless poster who's life's aim is to be deemed as important on this forum. He fails at that as well,

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Last one Standing wrote:
Raich Carter wrote:

Why do you even bother engaging with him? He has no idea what he is on aoout, as proven (almost) every time he gets to his keyboard.
You get more sense from me and GIAE as we are at least consistant and know what we want - and is usually achievable. UWS is just a clueless poster who's life's aim is to be deemed as important on this forum. He fails at that as well,

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

You get more sense from me and GIAE as we are at least consistant and know what we want - and is usually achievable. UWS is just a clueless poster who's life's aim is to be deemed as important on this forum. He fails at that as well,[/quote]

Yes, LOS and GIAE are CONSISTENTLY negative. LOS knows that he can't counter my posts and just resorts to trying to belittle me. He doesn't actually argue any issues that I raise in my posts. I have challenged him to actually argue the issues that I have raised, but he has NOT made any effort to do so. I would respect him if he would argue against the issues that I have raised in my posts. He always expresses his narcissism by writing critical remarks which HE is guilty of. Any person with an ounce of intelligence can see that clearly.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

United We Stand wrote: Yes, LOS and GIAE are CONSISTENTLY negative. LOS knows that he can't counter my posts and just resorts to trying to belittle me. He doesn't actually argue any issues that I raise in my posts. I have challenged him to actually argue the issues that I have raised, but he has NOT made any effort to do so. I would respect him if he would argue against the issues that I have raised in my posts. He always expresses his narcissism by writing critical remarks which HE is guilty of. Any person with an ounce of intelligence can see that clearly.
I am very positive - so wrong again.
I have stopped countering as you just repeat the same rubbish - you are either just thick or don't know what you are saying and forget you are going round in circles.
YOU, yes YOU are the one who started the thing about stadiums and I countered (in other words answered your points)why we don't need or currently deserve one - what part of this can't you get into your head?
Last edited by Victoria's Secret on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Last one Standing wrote:
United We Stand wrote: Yes, LOS and GIAE are CONSISTENTLY negative. LOS knows that he can't counter my posts and just resorts to trying to belittle me. He doesn't actually argue any issues that I raise in my posts. I have challenged him to actually argue the issues that I have raised, but he has NOT made any effort to do so. I would respect him if he would argue against the issues that I have raised in my posts. He always expresses his narcissism by writing critical remarks which HE is guilty of. Any person with an ounce of intelligence can see that clearly.
I have stopped countering as you just repeat the same rubbish - you are either just thick or don't know what you are saying and forget you are going round in circles.
YOU, yes YOU are the one who started the thing about stadiums and I countered (in other swords answered your points)why we don't need or currently deserve one - what part of this can't you get into your head?

I rest my case. Pathetic response. You obviously have little to offer!!!

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

United We Stand wrote:
Last one Standing wrote:
YOU, yes YOU are the one who started the thing about stadiums and I countered (in other words answered your points)why we don't need or currently deserve one - what part of this can't you get into your head?

I rest my case. Pathetic response. You obviously have little to offer!!!
What's pathetic, highlighting your issues in a debate? You are either trolling (and are not good at that) me or have more serious issues than the rest of us think.
Get help or leave us all alone and find a forum for others of your ilk. One where people are ignorant.

Enjoy the heat and shiraz off.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

What's pathetic, highlighting your issues in a debate? You are either trolling (and are not good at that) me or have more serious issues than the rest of us think.
Get help or leave us all alone and find a forum for others of your ilk. One where people are ignorant.

Enjoy the heat and shiraz off.[/quote]

I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This is a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. You write as if you have support on this forum. You DO NOT have people agreeing with you. What on earth do you think are my issues? Being proud of my city/country and wanting football to continue to progress is an issue? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."
Last edited by United We Stand on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

United We Stand wrote: I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. What on earth do you think are my issues? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."
Luckily for you I am now speechless. And my keyboard now needs drying out, I coughed all my tea and spilled my Diet Coke over it laughing at this backflip.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

And you now edit your post 5 hours after I reply, and will no doubt say I didnt respond to what you said.
Your issues, insecurity, desire to be popular and a somebody run deeper by the day.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Last one Standing wrote:And you now edit your post 5 hours after I reply, and will no doubt say I didnt respond to what you said.
Your issues, insecurity, desire to be popular and a somebody run deeper by the day.

FYI I edited one spelling mistake. I didn't change anything else about my post. Now will you actually write what you think is wrong/what you actually object to in my posts?.

I am curious as I certainly haven't written anything controversial. My guess is that you don't like my criticism of the preferential treatment that the SANFL and SACA have received. However, that is a FACT. backed up by examples like the SACA having their $85 million debt wiped by the State Government and the $275,000 given to the Crows AFLW team. You have admitted that you are a SACA member, so this is probably what you actually object to.

P.S Cut the narcissistic crap and the personal insults. You are only discrediting and describing yourself.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

lol, like sands thru the hour glass so are the days of our lives
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Wrong again. Spot the difference. I have helped, the bit in bold was added, hardly a typo? This proves you can't be trusted.
I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. What on earth do you think are my issues? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."
I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This is a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. You write as if you have support on this forum. You DO NOT have people agreeing with you. What on earth do you think are my issues? Being proud of my city/country and wanting football to continue to progress is an issue? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Last one Standing wrote:Wrong again. Spot the difference. I have helped, the bit in bold was added, hardly a typo? This proves you can't be trusted.
I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. What on earth do you think are my issues? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."

Honest mistake. I edited one spelling mistake in another post. Now answer my question.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Dave now from No 9 wrote:lol, like sands thru the hour glass so are the days of our lives
I was hoping one of the keyboards was still wet, that might have ended this :wink:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Dave now from No 9 wrote:lol, like sands thru the hour glass so are the days of our lives
I was hoping one of the keyboards was still wet, that might have ended this :wink:
:lol: :lol:

I am a man of mutiple devices.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

LOS, you are quick to have a go at myself and other forum contributors. However, I have asked you to write what you think is "wrong" or what you object to in my posts.

I am curious as your belief that Adelaide United do not "need" a new stadium was irrelevant to the issue at hand. I was arguing that we should apply to hold major events like the Commonwealth Games and the Women's World Cup Finals as it was an opportunity to build new/upgrade Adelaide's sporting facilities such as the proposed multipurpose stadium. I also argued that it would benefit football. That is the consistent message that I have been trying to get through to you. You say that I have been repetitive, but that is because you cannot comprehend or understand what I am arguing.

So why are you avoiding the question then? What about an answer?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

United We Stand wrote:LOS, you are quick to have a go at myself and other forum contributors. However, I have asked you to write what you think is "wrong" or what you object to in my posts.

I am curious as your belief that Adelaide United do not "need" a new stadium was irrelevant to the issue at hand. I was arguing that we should apply to hold major events like the Commonwealth Games and the Women's World Cup Finals as it was an opportunity to build new/upgrade Adelaide's sporting facilities such as the proposed multipurpose stadium. I also argued that it would benefit football. That is the consistent message that I have been trying to get through to you. You say that I have been repetitive, but that is because you cannot comprehend or understand what I am arguing.

You say you were arguing, that means there are two sides to the debate (Hint MINE and yours), I have given all my reasons mnay times (AS I KEEP SAYING), I am not wasting my time replying with thme again for you to ignore.

I am not avoiding anything, I do try and avoid you, but you keep popping up like an old penny.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Last one Standing wrote:
United We Stand wrote:LOS, you are quick to have a go at myself and other forum contributors. However, I have asked you to write what you think is "wrong" or what you object to in my posts.

You say you were arguing, that means there are two sides to the debate (Hint MINE and yours), I have given all my reasons mnay times (AS I KEEP SAYING), I am not wasting my time replying with thme again for you to ignore.

I am not avoiding anything, I do try and avoid you, but you keep popping up like an old penny.

You just did! Again, you avoided answering the simple question of what do you object to in my posts.You have done this the entire time. Anyway, I was just curious to know what your objection was and then I was going to drop it and stop wasting my time with a person like you. Wow. You could not even answer the question. Obviously GIAE has "educated you!! You have confirmed every single criticism that I have of you. Get professional help. You really need it!!

Ladies and gentlemen, he has been dismissed for a golden duck! He is zero and out!!
Last edited by United We Stand on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

United We Stand wrote:
Last one Standing wrote:

You just did! You have done this the entire time. Anyway, I was just curious to know what your objection was and then I was going to drop it and stop wasting my time with a person like you. Wow. You have confirmed every single criticism that I have of you.
If only you never started your weeks of garbage then you would have nothing to drop. You actually don’t see how stupid you have come across do you? That’s a real concern.

Biggest game of the season on the weekend and still tickets available - yet you think you need a new stadium mmmmmm.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

I was wondering the same thing why do we need a bigger stadium ? Trying to google crowds at previous women"s world cup average crowd was just under 20,000 in the group stages, that was in countries much bigger population then ours

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

In the way wrote:I was wondering the same thing why do we need a bigger stadium ? Trying to google crowds at previous women"s world cup average crowd was just under 20,000 in the group stages, that was in countries much bigger population then ours
We don’t need one.

And UWS has again added a load of rubbish to a prior post hours after I reply , his new tactic of stupidity. GIAE educating me....he would love to say he has, but he knows I am out of his league :-)

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Last one Standing wrote:
United We Stand wrote: I will leave you alone (Not the forum!!) if you can just point out what you think is wrong in my posts. You will need to be specific. Remember the stadium issue was NOT me arguing whether Adelaide United need a new stadium. I don't disagree with you about that. I have clearly expressed that. That is your view, but as other forum contributors have pointed out, it is irrelevant as that was never the issue. This a forum and I will express my views. You have no right to deny me that. What on earth do you think are my issues? Wow, you really are "a piece of work."
Luckily for you I am now speechless. And my keyboard now needs drying out, I coughed all my tea and spilled my Diet Coke over it laughing at this backflip.

Diet Coke?
:lol: