Australian U/17's book place in last sixteen

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Australian U/17's book place in last sixteen

Post by Old Master »

Australia have booked their place in the last 16 of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup after a tense 2-1 victory over Nigeria in Gama.

Updated 2 hours ago
By Jonathan Bernard

A Noah Botic brace either side of half-time was enough to nab the Joeys all three points and passage through to the round of 16 in third place, while Ecuador snatched second after a late 3-2 victory over Group B rivals Hungary.
Leaders Nigeria maintained top spot despite their defeat, but will rue a host of missed opportunities against Trevor Morgan's side.
The Joeys had made a habit of slow starts in Brazil and, were it not for goalkeeper Adam Pavlesic, would have fallen behind yet again on Saturday after an early barrage from the Africans.

Nigeria's intentions set the tone for a fast-paced encounter at the Bezerrao and it didn't take long before the Joeys made them pay; Caleb Watts the architect of a swift 13th-minute counter-attack completed by the in-form Botic.
Australia's early ascension, however, only served to motivate their opponents and they soon responded midway through the first half through Peter Olawale's clever turn and finish.
Nigeria's persistent pressure only heightened in the second half and almost paid off after Olakunle Olusegun's driven effort left Pavlesic beaten, only to be denied by the base of the post.
Morgan had set his side out to utilise both speed and space in transition and, in the 54th minute, it paid dividends once again.
With Watts bursting through midfield and into enemy territory, a well-timed touch inside the box drew contact and left referee Istvan Kovacs with no choice but to point to the spot.
And with Botic already on three goals for the tournament, the ever-confident forward soon obliged for his fourth, sending Joseph Oluwabusola the wrong way with ease.
Australia's restored advantage spurred one last fightback from their opponents, but Pavlesic was again on hand to preserve the precious three points.

Great result for Australian Football and serves to show that our Youth system is finally catching up with the rest of the world again. I hope it continues. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Australian U/17's book place in last sixteen

Post by eagleboy »

Old Master wrote:Australia have booked their place in the last 16 of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup after a tense 2-1 victory over Nigeria in Gama.

Updated 2 hours ago
By Jonathan Bernard

A Noah Botic brace either side of half-time was enough to nab the Joeys all three points and passage through to the round of 16 in third place, while Ecuador snatched second after a late 3-2 victory over Group B rivals Hungary.
Leaders Nigeria maintained top spot despite their defeat, but will rue a host of missed opportunities against Trevor Morgan's side.
The Joeys had made a habit of slow starts in Brazil and, were it not for goalkeeper Adam Pavlesic, would have fallen behind yet again on Saturday after an early barrage from the Africans.

Nigeria's intentions set the tone for a fast-paced encounter at the Bezerrao and it didn't take long before the Joeys made them pay; Caleb Watts the architect of a swift 13th-minute counter-attack completed by the in-form Botic.
Australia's early ascension, however, only served to motivate their opponents and they soon responded midway through the first half through Peter Olawale's clever turn and finish.
Nigeria's persistent pressure only heightened in the second half and almost paid off after Olakunle Olusegun's driven effort left Pavlesic beaten, only to be denied by the base of the post.
Morgan had set his side out to utilise both speed and space in transition and, in the 54th minute, it paid dividends once again.
With Watts bursting through midfield and into enemy territory, a well-timed touch inside the box drew contact and left referee Istvan Kovacs with no choice but to point to the spot.
And with Botic already on three goals for the tournament, the ever-confident forward soon obliged for his fourth, sending Joseph Oluwabusola the wrong way with ease.
Australia's restored advantage spurred one last fightback from their opponents, but Pavlesic was again on hand to preserve the precious three points.

Great result for Australian Football and serves to show that our Youth system is finally catching up with the rest of the world again. I hope it continues. OM

Good thread Om. I have watched all the games. Our defense has looked suspect but there are some promising player that have impressed me. Players that have stood out for me are Botic, Hammond and Watts. The GK has had some great moments. I think we have let some easy goals in though but not owing to GK.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Great result for the young Socceroos .

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

eagleboy wrote:
Old Master wrote:Australia have booked their place in the last 16 of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup after a tense 2-1 victory over Nigeria in Gama.

Updated 2 hours ago
By Jonathan Bernard

Good thread Om. I have watched all the games. Our defense has looked suspect but there are some promising player that have impressed me. Players that have stood out for me are Botic, Hammond and Watts. The GK has had some great moments. I think we have let some easy goals in though but not owing to GK.
I agree with you 100% about the GK, he was excellent right through the series and looks a great prospect.
Botic is a natural striker and will have a great future if he keeps his head straight, with all the scouts looking at him.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Big game against France on Thursday morning. Best of luck to the boys.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

eagleboy wrote:Big game against France on Thursday morning. Best of luck to the boys.
4-0 :lol:

stick to netball and womens rugby

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

This was a poor result and the French boys were totally dominant. The French had 2 goals ruled out offside and a penalty disallowed with VAR although they were correct calls.
Our boys played the last 30 minutes with 10 players . I do not think we were physically, tactically or technically anywhere the French. T
Interesting to note the amount of African youth or of youth of African decent coming through. I think the French had 9 of their starting side. Some enormous talent coming through for them.
Last edited by eagleboy on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

20 shots to 3 how does that happen at this level. Mind you I read some where, that in the EPL last week, two Man Utd strikers had one shot on goal between them .

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

eagleboy wrote:This was a poor result and the French boys were totally dominant. The French had 2 goals ruled out offside and a penalty disallowed with VAR although they were correct calls.
Our boys played the last 30 minutes with 10 players . I do not think we were physically, tactically or technically anywhere the French. T
Interesting to note the amount of African youth or of youth of African decent coming through. I think the French had 9 of their starting side. Some enormous talent coming through for them.

This result, while appearing to be a rout, was not as bad as it has been claimed, the Aussie boys were only 0 - 1 down and getting close to an equaliser, when they were reduced to 10 players, and that's when France were able to take control and exploit their extra man advantage.

The French were far superior to our boys but to make a realistic comparison of the Aussie boys abilities you need to compare apples with apples.
The French have a far superior quality of facilities, a more centralised and intensive talent identity program, full-time professional coaching staff, pressure to succeed due to more competition for places and the ability to get together far more regularly.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Old Master wrote:
eagleboy wrote:This was a poor result and the French boys were totally dominant. The French had 2 goals ruled out offside and a penalty disallowed with VAR although they were correct calls.

This result, while appearing to be a rout, was not as bad as it has been claimed, the Aussie boys were only 0 - 1 down and getting close to an equaliser, when they were reduced to 10 players, and that's when France were able to take control and exploit their extra man advantage.

The French were far superior to our boys but to make a realistic comparison of the Aussie boys abilities you need to compare apples with apples.
The French have a far superior quality of facilities, a more centralised and intensive talent identity program, full-time professional coaching staff, pressure to succeed due to more competition for places and the ability to get together far more regularly.
yeah but you still can't beat Laos

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Grosso Mk II wrote:
Old Master wrote:

yeah but you still can't beat Laos
And Italy didn't even qualify for the world cup so whats your point?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Old Master wrote:

Maybe this France side is something special. They beat Spain 6:1 after Spain scored first.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Irunkunda on fire....2 goals and a penalty miss inside the first 25 minutes V China
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

if we make the knock-out stages, lets hope we don't go to penalties..... we've missed 2 first-half penalties....

its on 10play if anyone is interested...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 pm if we make the knock-out stages, lets hope we don't go to penalties..... we've missed 2 first-half penalties....

its on 10play if anyone is interested...

Thanks for that. Nestory's goals are always spectacular.

Just the highlights

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/watch ... n-cup-epic

https://www.the-afc.com/en/national/afc ... 80%99.html

https://www.the-afc.com/en/national/afc ... dings.html

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Australian teen prodigy Anthony Pavlešić has made a blockbuster transfer from the Central Coast Mariners to German heavyweights Bayern Munich.
17-year-old Pavlesic has never played a senior game for the Mariners, but is an extremely talented goalkeeper viewed as a future Socceroos gloveman.
He trialled with Bayern for two weeks in February, and also had interest from fellow Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen and Dutch giants Ajax.
Now he has inked a three-year contract with Bayern, one of the biggest clubs in world football who recently claimed an 11th-straight league title.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Ozzies lost to Japan overnight, 3-1
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Michael wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:42 am Ozzies lost to Japan overnight, 3-1
and now miss out on the U17 WC