Today Thirteen Years Ago

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Today Thirteen Years Ago

Post by Grosso Mk II »

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Today Thirteen Years Ago

Post by eagleboy »

This is your namesake :shock: :x You are proud of cheats. It must be a national trait in Italy.

World Cup 'diver' Fabio Grosso admits laying it on
ITALY'S 2006 World Cup ''diver'' against the Socceroos has admitted he ''accentuated a little bit'' to earn a match-winning penalty.
No Source
April 16, 2010 11:19am

ITALY'S 2006 World Cup ''diver'' against the Socceroos has admitted he ''accentuated a little bit'' to earn a match-winning penalty.
Defender Fabio Grosso inisted that a controversial challenge by Socceroo Lucas Neill deserved a penalty.

Speaking to Australian media for the first time in an exclusive interview with new magazine Football +, Grosso justified his dramatic tumble in Stuttgart because he felt a touch by Neill and was tired after an exhausting match.

“It’s been a long time since 2006 but I say this with as much sincerity as I possibly can,” Grosso told the magazine. “In this instance when Neill slid in, maybe I accentuated it a little bit.

“However you must remember it was the last minute of an extremely difficult game and everyone was tired.”

Australian fans require no reminder of the incident that occurred in the dying seconds of the Round of 16 match – many claiming the Azzurri star dived to win the penalty.

Grosso burst into Australia’s penalty box to spark a slide tackle by Neill that prompted the Italian to tumble over the prone Australian.

For the Italian defender, with his team playing with 10 men after fellow defender Marco Materazzi had been sent off earlier in the game, the consequence of the challenge was clear.

“I felt the contact so I went down,” Grosso told Football +.

“Therefore, I say again, I didn’t initiate it … It’s true that I felt the touch and didn’t have the strength to go forward. Some people believe me and some don’t. However for me, even after seeing the video images, it’s a penalty.”

“I admit that it wasn’t glamorous but it wasn’t a scandal.”

The resulting penalty scored by Francesco Totti destroyed Australia’s chances of contesting the World Cup final.

However, Grosso said Australia had been one of Italy’s tougher opponents during its 2006 World Cup campaign

“Their technical and tactical quality was very good,” Grosso said. “We knew they were good but they showed they are quality players.”
Originally published as World Cup 'diver' admits laying it on

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

An aussie calling Italians for cheating.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

B.Toomer wrote:An aussie calling Italians for cheating.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
please explain,

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

It's pretty simple really. Ever since the Grosso incident, you aussies have whinged on & on about it, calling the Italian a cheat. After the worst cheating incident in world cricket, here we have an aussie calling an Italian a cheat. More front than Myer. :oops:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

B.Toomer wrote:It's pretty simple really. Ever since the Grosso incident, you aussies have whinged on & on about it, calling the Italian a cheat. After the worst cheating incident in world cricket, here we have an aussie calling an Italian a cheat. More front than Myer. :oops:
What about the worst cheating incident in world football - which i assume was the whole Juventus thing.

But I do love that you need to "whatabout" a football incident on a football forum to bring up a cricket thing.

(For the record, I don't think that Grosso cheated. I just don't think there was enough force to cause him to go down as he did)

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:It's pretty simple really. Ever since the Grosso incident, you aussies have whinged on & on about it, calling the Italian a cheat. After the worst cheating incident in world cricket, here we have an aussie calling an Italian a cheat. More front than Myer. :oops:
What about the worst cheating incident in world football - which i assume was the whole Juventus thing.

But I do love that you need to "whatabout" a football incident on a football forum to bring up a cricket thing.

(For the record, I don't think that Grosso cheated. I just don't think there was enough force to cause him to go down as he did)
I agree about the Grosso incident, happens in football all over the world and I'm not confident VAR will eradicate it .

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

And Maradona in 1986? Seems your lot have even worse hangovers. :lol:
Ignore this signature

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

don't blame grosso. he did what he reckoned he needed to do to get his team over the line. he got away with it so it was legal and above board like trevor chapel bowling underarm. :lol:

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Aussie fake media misreporting and misinterpreting quotes as usual.

The penalty was 100% correct. The Soccerwhos defender caught Grosso's leg when he slide in then he stumbled over him.

VAR would've awarded that penalty 10 times out of 10.

Aussies sore losers as usual. You forget also Materazzi should never have been sent off and VAR would've overturned that 10 times out of 10 too.

The fact remains you couldn't score against 10 men and you needed an extra man just to make a game of it against a real football nation.

You only defeated Japan in that World Cup and you refer to this as your golden generation. :lol:

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

The big difference between what maradonna did & what Grasso did, was that what Grasso did was legal. What maradonna did was the same as what the aussies CRICKETERS did.... blatant CHEATING. :oops: :oops:

Eyas
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Eyas »

Very big difference.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Eyjafjallajökull wrote:Very big difference.

did anyone else see this on tv. 5 pommy blokes wearing the baggy green all in a line,all had a cricket ball,one had a screwdriver, one had yellow sand paper,one had broken glass one had a knife and the last one a pair of pliars all digging the kraap out of the balls. hillarious. :wink: :)

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

THE ORAKLE wrote:
Eyjafjallajökull wrote:Very big difference.

did anyone else see this on tv. 5 pommy blokes wearing the baggy green all in a line,all had a cricket ball,one had a screwdriver, one had yellow sand paper,one had broken glass one had a knife and the last one a pair of pliars all digging the kraap out of the balls. hillarious. :wink: :)

Yes, I had a bit of a chuckle at that one too. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

B.Toomer wrote:The big difference between what maradonna did & what Grasso did, was that what Grasso did was legal. What maradonna did was the same as what the aussies CRICKETERS did.... blatant CHEATING. :oops: :oops:
Cheating...like shining the ball along zippers, spitting lolly juice onto the ball for shine, treading on the ball with your spikes, picking open the seam... I'm glad the World XI, sorry, England (and other International sides)don't resort to those kind of tactics !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Sounds like you condone what the aussie cheats did. Even maradonna would cringe at what the aussie cricketers did. At least what he did wasn't a conspiracy. Here you have the captain, vice captain & opening batsman conspiring to cheat, hard to defend that. :oops:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

B.Toomer wrote:Sounds like you condone what the aussie cheats did. Even maradonna would cringe at what the aussie cricketers did. At least what he did wasn't a conspiracy. Here you have the captain, vice captain & opening batsman conspiring to cheat, hard to defend that. :oops:
Where is it that I condone what the Australians have done...more a case of the pot calling the kettle black (just that the kettle were a bit too naïve and obvious).
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Nothing naive about what the aussie cricketers did. Conspiracies are not naive. Stop defending them.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

B.Toomer wrote:Nothing naive about what the aussie cricketers did. Conspiracies are not naive. Stop defending them.
\
What has cricket got to do on a football forum discussing Italians cheating. If you want to talk cricket
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/
Come up with something better. :clown:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:Nothing naive about what the aussie cricketers did. Conspiracies are not naive. Stop defending them.
\
What has cricket got to do on a football forum discussing Italians cheating. If you want to talk cricket
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/
Come up with something better. :clown:
+1

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Cheating is the same whether it's football, rugby, cricket or tiddly winks. Your mob would probably cheat at tiddly winks too :oops: :oops:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

back on topic, Neill shouldn't have slid like he did. Gross was always going to draw contact and he did.
Referee was right there and correctly awarded the penalty.

The ONLY issue was that it was awarded so late in the match. If it was very early in the game, their wouldn't be an issue.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Four years on, and with another World Cup on the horizon, Australia’s indignation over Fabio Grosso’s dive to send Italy to the quarters in Germany at the expense of the Socceroos still cuts deep.

The controversy has reignited as a topic of debate as a result of Grosso’s admission that he “accentuated” his fall over the grounded Lucas Neill in the final minutes of the Round of 16 match in Kaiserslautern.

(Accentuated, in case you were wondering, means “to make more noticeable or prominent”, according to my Mac’s dictionary.)

Grosso, speaking to The Roar’s own Davidde Corran in the Football + World Cup preview magazine, said, “In this instance when Neill slid in, maybe I accentuated it a little bit. However you must remember it was the last minute of an extremely difficult game and everyone was tired.

“I felt the contact so I went down. Therefore, I say again, I didn’t initiate it … it’s true that I felt the touch and didn’t have the strength to go forward. Some people believe me, and some don’t. However for me, even after seeing the video images, it’s a penalty.

“I admit that it wasn’t glamorous but it wasn’t a scandal,” he said.

Maybe not a scandal for Grosso and the triumphant Italians, but a huge scandal that still lingers with Socceroos fans.

Listening and reading the responses to the debate four years on presents a fascinating portrait of Australia’s naivety when it comes to the nuances of the world game.

Australia was undoubtedly the victim of gamesmanship by Grosso – an unsightly and unfortunate aspect of the game that can decide matches due to its low scoring nature – but Australia needs to move on from this feeling of being a victim of a conspiracy that still remains.

Ask the English, who still lament the “Hand of God” 24 years after the fact, about being cheated at a World Cup and you’ll learn this isn’t a new phenomenon unique to us.

It’s these controversial moments that have helped create World Cup folklore and build anticipation for the next rendition.

The sooner we embrace this, the sooner we will appreciate the uniqueness of the game.

The impact diving has on the game’s popularity and acceptance within Australia has been hotly debated here on The Roar of late, and Grosso’s dive undoubtedly did some damage to the perception of football in the country. Diving and other forms of simulation may be un-Australian, but they shouldn’t preclude Australians from embracing the game, and perhaps part of that process is putting Grosso’s dive behind us and moving on.

The controversy lingers not just because of its controversial nature but also due to the fact it was such a bitter way for the Soccroos’ dream run to end.

There was a sense of disbelief that the run, which saw the Socceroos defeat Uruguay in such dramatic circumstances, perform such an incredible comeback against Japan and survive the nail bitter against Croatia should have been ended by a cheat.

Destiny was unjustly deprived, and listen to the masses and you would assume World Cup glory was ours for the taking. After all, Italy went all the way. That could have been us, they say.

But let’s not allow the passage of time to cloud our view of reality.

The Socceroos played a man up on the Italians for the majority of the second half following Marco Materazzi’s straight red card in the 50th minute and were unable to breakdown the Italian defense.

This was an Italian team, let’s not forget, that only conceded twice in the whole tournament – an own goal against the United States of America in the group stages and a penalty in the final against France.

Guus Hiddink’s decision to hold off on his two remaining substitutes, waiting for extra-time, proved one gamble too many for the Dutchman.

Particularly flawed is the assumption that had Australia overcome Italy in extra-time or penalties, they would have waltzed past Ukraine in the quarter-final – Italy having defeated them 3-0 – and set up an incredible semi-final match with hosts Germany.

Once again, Australia demonstrates its naivety for the game.

The best and most deserving teams don’t always win in tournament football, so moments of genius and lunacy, mistakes, referee misjudgements and the like can often decide World Cups.

Fairness and logic don’t always win out.

Football is far from Utopian.

It’s time for Australia to move on from the dive of 2006 and embrace whatever is in store for the Socceroos in South Africa.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

Michael wrote:
Four years on, and with another World Cup on the horizon, Australia’s indignation over Fabio Grosso’s dive to send Italy to the quarters in Germany at the expense of the Socceroos still cuts deep.

The controversy has reignited as a topic of debate as a result of Grosso’s admission that he “accentuated” his fall over the grounded Lucas Neill in the final minutes of the Round of 16 match in Kaiserslautern.

(Accentuated, in case you were wondering, means “to make more noticeable or prominent”, according to my Mac’s dictionary.)

Grosso, speaking to The Roar’s own Davidde Corran in the Football + World Cup preview magazine, said, “In this instance when Neill slid in, maybe I accentuated it a little bit. However you must remember it was the last minute of an extremely difficult game and everyone was tired.

“I felt the contact so I went down. Therefore, I say again, I didn’t initiate it … it’s true that I felt the touch and didn’t have the strength to go forward. Some people believe me, and some don’t. However for me, even after seeing the video images, it’s a penalty.

Maybe not a scandal for Grosso and the triumphant Italians, but a huge scandal that still lingers with Socceroos fans.

Listening and reading the responses to the debate four years on presents a fascinating portrait of Australia’s naivety when it comes to the nuances of the world game.

Australia was undoubtedly the victim of gamesmanship by Grosso – an unsightly and unfortunate aspect of the game that can decide matches due to its low scoring nature – but Australia needs to move on from this feeling of being a victim of a conspiracy that still remains.

Ask the English, who still lament the “Hand of God” 24 years after the fact, about being cheated at a World Cup and you’ll learn this isn’t a new phenomenon unique to us.

It’s these controversial moments that have helped create World Cup folklore and build anticipation for the next rendition.

The sooner we embrace this, the sooner we will appreciate the uniqueness of the game.

The impact diving has on the game’s popularity and acceptance within Australia has been hotly debated here on The Roar of late, and Grosso’s dive undoubtedly did some damage to the perception of football in the country. Diving and other forms of simulation may be un-Australian, but they shouldn’t preclude Australians from embracing the game, and perhaps part of that process is putting Grosso’s dive behind us and moving on.

The controversy lingers not just because of its controversial nature but also due to the fact it was such a bitter way for the Soccroos’ dream run to end.

There was a sense of disbelief that the run, which saw the Socceroos defeat Uruguay in such dramatic circumstances, perform such an incredible comeback against Japan and survive the nail bitter against Croatia should have been ended by a cheat.

Destiny was unjustly deprived, and listen to the masses and you would assume World Cup glory was ours for the taking. After all, Italy went all the way. That could have been us, they say.

The Socceroos played a man up on the Italians for the majority of the second half following Marco Materazzi’s straight red card in the 50th minute and were unable to breakdown the Italian defense.

This was an Italian team, let’s not forget, that only conceded twice in the whole tournament – an own goal against the United States of America in the group stages and a penalty in the final against France.

Guus Hiddink’s decision to hold off on his two remaining substitutes, waiting for extra-time, proved one gamble too many for the Dutchman.

Particularly flawed is the assumption that had Australia overcome Italy in extra-time or penalties, they would have waltzed past Ukraine in the quarter-final – Italy having defeated them 3-0 – and set up an incredible semi-final match with hosts Germany.

The best and most deserving teams don’t always win in tournament football, so moments of genius and lunacy, mistakes, referee misjudgements and the like can often decide World Cups.

It’s time for Australia to move on from the dive of 2006 and embrace whatever is in store for the Socceroos in South Africa.
Who wrote it

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Migrant Land wrote:
Michael wrote:

Who wrote it
https://www.theroar.com.au/2010/04/18/a ... e-of-2006/

Adrian Musolino

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

the roar lol
solid source :oops:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Grosso Mk II wrote:the roar lol
It's an Opinion piece....
:roll:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Michael wrote:
Grosso Mk II wrote:the roar lol
It's an Opinion piece....
:roll:
Nothing worse than a poor source :wink: :wink: :wink:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I've always preferred 'Daddie's Favourite' to 'HP' myself.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Old Master wrote:I've always preferred 'Daddie's Favourite' to 'HP' myself.

no Rosella, Heinz or chile mojo?