Japan V Australia

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Japan V Australia

Post by Mr Red »

Big game tomorrow night away to Japan.

UAE beating Saudi Arabia 2-1 last night helped but getting a result here is still very important.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Japan V Australia

Post by Bomber »

Got a feeling we'll lose 2-1 but qualify anyway at the end
Ignore this signature

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

I'm hoping for a draw, which I think is possible.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Mr Red wrote:I'm hoping for a draw, which I think is possible.
Both teams could sit back and benefit to a degree from this. Doubt it will be as "laid back" somehow though
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Queenslanders have their NRL "derby" tonight, Victorians have their Sam Newman & Eddie-everywhere - but hopefully a fair chunk of mainstream Aussies will tune into the World Cup Qualifier blockbuster on 9GO! (Ch 93.99) @ 8.05pm this Thursday 31 August.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Queenslanders have their NRL "derby" tonight, Victorians have their Sam Newman & Eddie-everywhere - but hopefully a fair chunk of mainstream Aussies will tune into the World Cup Qualifier blockbuster on 9GO! (Ch 93.99) @ 8.05pm this Thursday 31 August.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Australia well and truly outplayed by Japan tonight , not one chance clear cut chance in the 2nd half.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

:lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote:Australia well and truly outplayed by Japan tonight , not one chance clear cut chance in the 2nd half.
Surely the world's easiest team to coach against. This is the set-up, like it or not.

3 at the back, no flexibility.

Thailand will even exploit this if not careful.
Ignore this signature

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Bomber wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Australia well and truly outplayed by Japan tonight , not one chance clear cut chance in the 2nd half.
Surely the world's easiest team to coach against. This is the set-up, like it or not.

3 at the back, no flexibility.

Thailand will even exploit this if not careful.
Total stupidity.

These guys would rather see the NT go down and stick with the philosophy than see the NT prosper. Absolutely selfish.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

OK, we might have to do it the hard way again.

A playoff against 3rd from the other Asian Group, Syria or Uzbekistan. (An aside, is Syria's capital Damascus still considered a war zone?).

Then the next hurdle would be the 4th-placed team in the CONCACAF region, Panama or Honduras.

Both play-off stages do-able. The main thing is we qualify for the World Cup Finals in Russia. We just HAVE to be at the main table in 2018 for the benefit of the game in this country.

ps Bomber, re your comment about flexibility - I just don't get Ange at the moment. During his golden reign @ Brisbane Roar he went with a back-four. Same when winning the Asian Nations Cup. As you said, fast Thai wingers could exploit Ange's back-three.

And a minor point - I wish Ange wouldn't look at the ground during his press conferences. IMO he comes across as either shy or arrogant.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Ange' s 3-shambles -1 formation again.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Sometimes it feels with Ange he deliberately wants to be different to show how clever he is.

Picking Robbie Kruse as a centre forward stank of him trying to show off some tactical sophistication rather than some tactical sensibility.

If he doesn't make the World Cup he has to go.
It's all in the Delivery!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Brian the Postman wrote:Sometimes it feels with Ange he deliberately wants to be different to show how clever he is.

Picking Robbie Kruse as a centre forward stank of him trying to show off some tactical sophistication rather than some tactical sensibility.

He has said this is his last WC campaign even if we qualify.

As for Kruse I agree he is not a not a number 9 .

The 3-shambles-1 formation worries me as well. The only time the three at the back worked was against Chile in the Confederations Cup.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Brian the Postman wrote:Sometimes it feels with Ange he deliberately wants to be different to show how clever he is.

Can't believe I'm saying this after admiring Ange in the Asian Cup & what he achieved @ Brisbane Roar. But the FFA should think about getting a bounce out of a new coach IF we're in playoffs against say, Syria or Uzbekistan, then Honduras or U.S.A.

It worked with Hiddink, didn't it?

ps, any forumites see Bozza's blast @ Postecoglou? It included Ange's ridiculous TV presentation when he continually looks at the ground instead of the interviewer & camera. I've said it before again & again - to mainstream Aussies it looks like he's either shy or an arrogant tactics-snob.

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

Con M wrote:

Can't believe I'm saying this after admiring Ange in the Asian Cup & what he achieved @ Brisbane Roar. But the FFA should think about getting a bounce out of a new coach IF we're in playoffs against say, Syria or Uzbekistan, then Honduras or U.S.A.

ps, any forumites see Bozza's blast @ Postecoglou? It included Ange's ridiculous TV presentation when he continually looks at the ground instead of the interviewer & camera. I've said it before again & again - to mainstream Aussies it looks like he's either shy or an arrogant tactics-snob.
Gombau to replace Ange maybe ?? Would the FFA go the foreign coach , or would they choose local again ?
Arnold would be the obvious choice.

back 3 formation against Japan was a recipe for disaster...
Playing Kruse up front as the #9 baffles most of us, alas , Ange was probably thinking witj Juric injured, I cant expect Cahill or Mclaren do the job...
Should of played a 4231 of 4321 formation. keep it tight at the back and hit japan on the counter

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

nachoman wrote: Should of played a 4231 of 4321 formation. keep it tight at the back and hit japan on the counter
Anti football.

We want Australia playing like Barcelona in 10 years time.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
nachoman wrote: Should of played a 4231 of 4321 formation. keep it tight at the back and hit japan on the counter
Anti football.

We want Australia playing like Barcelona in 10 years time.
Tim Cahill will be 48 :lol:

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

nachoman wrote:
Con M wrote:

Gombau to replace Ange maybe ?? Would the FFA go the foreign coach , or would they choose local again ?

Playing Kruse up front as the #9 baffles most of us, alas , Ange was probably thinking witj Juric injured, I cant expect Cahill or Mclaren do the job...
Should of played a 4231 of 4321 formation. keep it tight at the back and hit japan on the counter
Please god no Gombau, he is there because he is of the same ilk as Ange (though probably not as tactically savvy).

We are too predictable and labored as it is, I couldn't handle the national team playing like Adelaide United from 3 years ago.
It's all in the Delivery!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

If he doesn't make the World Cup he has to go.[/quote]

ps, any forumites see Bozza's blast @ Postecoglou? It included Ange's ridiculous TV presentation when he continually looks at the ground instead of the interviewer & camera. I've said it before again & again - to mainstream Aussies it looks like he's either shy or an arrogant tactics-snob.[/quote]

Should of played a 4231 of 4321 formation. keep it tight at the back and hit japan on the counter[/quote]

Please god no Gombau, he is there because he is of the same ilk as Ange (though probably not as tactically savvy).

We are too predictable and labored as it is, I couldn't handle the national team playing like Adelaide United from 3 years ago.[/quote]

I think Gumby has moved on quite a bit since then. :o
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Hirohito
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hirohito »

Well done Japan.
POLONIAROCS wrote:Yes SAASL is so much greater than NPL.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

If Ange loses the first qualifier we can always replace him with the Matilda's coach.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details