Socceroos are coming to town..

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Socceroos are coming to town..

Post by Stitch This »

I enjoyed the free bus ride home.
Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
eagleboy wrote:The Tom Rogic goal was world class. He has always had a powerful shot. Aussie had a good second half. Leckie should have had a penalty.
I was expecting Mooy to dominate. Was quiet 1st half but good second like a few of his mates.
Obvious penalty.

Jedinak also had a shocker ( again ).
Shoulder to shoulder - get on with it.

Only saw the 2nd half so didn't see the disgusting behaviour by the saudi's before the kick off. champagne

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

Stitch This wrote:I enjoyed the free bus ride home.
I hope the driver wasn't a prick.
I tend to go off on a tangent

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

eagleboy wrote:The Tom Rogic goal was world class. He has always had a powerful shot. Aussie had a good second half. Leckie should have had a penalty.
I was expecting Mooy to dominate. Was quiet 1st half but good second like a few of his mates.
You need to watch more football if you thought that was a good performance. bottle of shiraz dreadful

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Aussies were lucky - really didn't play well overall.

1st half defending was woeful, if we play like that against Japan, we'll be down 4-0 at half time.

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

Irvine would struggle to get a game in a few of the sunday football teams ive seen. passed to the Saudis more the his team mates, shocking. I felt embarrassed for him. He actually did improve moments before being dragged.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Poor crowd but not unexpected, Vidmar was right about the football mentality in this state, with little Johnny still going to training last night. Truly awful behaviour from the Saudi team and supporters during the minutes silence - apology is too little too late. Scrappy game, much better second half and quality strike for a very deserved win
Are you Bodo in disguise?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Knight15 wrote:. Truly awful behaviour from the Saudi team and supporters during the minutes silence - apology is too little too late
Typical uneducated Aussie redneck viewpoint.

This was a cultural difference and not disrespectful as many racists are trying to paint it.

They are forbidden to stand in silence in a line for one minute and are required to abide by this law.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Knight15 wrote:. Truly awful behaviour from the Saudi team and supporters during the minutes silence - apology is too little too late

This was a cultural difference and not disrespectful as many racists are trying to paint it.

They are forbidden to stand in silence in a line for one minute and are required to abide by this law.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bodo, you should get a show at the Fringe -

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Are you sure of that or just quoting something?. Forbidden! If we went to their country and disrespected them in this way what do you think the reaction would be? How did the Aussie show respect in Thailand. A lot better than the Saudis.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

eagleboy wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Are you sure of that or just quoting something?. Forbidden! If we went to their country and disrespected them in this way what do you think the reaction would be? How did the Aussie show respect in Thailand. A lot better than the Saudis.
Racist!

#illignoreminutesilencewithyou

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

eagleboy wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Of course it's not true, look on Adelaide Now, Saudi Teams have respected a minute silence many times before, just Bodo being Bodo. Also did they disrespect us when they prayed to Allah both times they scored?

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Your argument may have had some merit but your first sentence just sent it to the shitter. Its not forbidden it is just in sharia law its not unlawful or a sin to kill an unbeliever. They could have just stood still for 60 seconds and respected our right to recognise the tragic death of 2 people at the hands of religious nutters.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Football Federation Australia (FFA) reportedly issued a statement saying the Saudi team had flagged that players would not stand together because to do so would be "not in keeping with Saudi culture".

"Both the (Asian Football Confederation) and the Saudi team agreed that the minute of silence could be held," the FFA said, according to reports.

"The FFA was further advised by Saudi team officials that this tradition was and they would move to their side of the field and respect our custom whilst taking their own positions on the field."

So they followed the custom that they follow, and the FFA were aware of it, and happy to continue. Storm in a teacup.

I've been told only 1 Saudi player wasn't still for the entire moment's silence.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Al-Ahli Saudi FC v FC Barcelona in Doha, Qatar in December 2016.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Mackem Lad wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Your argument may have had some merit but your first sentence just sent it to the shitter. Its not forbidden it is just in sharia law its not unlawful or a sin to kill an unbeliever. They could have just stood still for 60 seconds and respected our right to recognise the tragic death of 2 people at the hands of religious nutters.
My argument has zero merit.

I was hoping to fast track the apologist poster responses.

Slinky came to the party.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

If they were silent and stood still, being in a line didn't matter so much. I wasn't at game and TV didn't show much other than the Aussies line up during that time. Still thought it was a petty stance all the same in not lining up, but karma bit them soon as the keeper went arse up and 1-0 to the Oz.
Ignore this signature

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Shoulder to shoulder - To be legal, it: (a) cannot take place from behind (b) is only permitted within playing distance (i.e., 3 feet) of the ball (c) cannot be violent or dangerous (d) must be intended to win the ball & not just to knock down the opponent (e) must be shoulder to shoulder (not to the opponents chest or back) with the arms (especially elbows) close to the body (f) the player must have at least one foot on the ground (i.e., he can't leap)

The Saudi guy had is eyes for Leckie and not the ball so I would say he wasn't intending to win the ball but to stop Leckie's run. If we let this sort of thing happen it could make interesting viewing if players started doing this all the time.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Penalty every day of the week.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

...except yesterday

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:

As an Australian who was born (my parents were based there) and grew up in Saudi Arabia, it was not a cultural difference it was a stand.

Sharia Law states that when you enter another country, you are considered to be living in their adopted country under a covenant. You must, therefore, comply with the laws and traditions of their country of residence. There is no law that states you can't stand for a minutes silence, there is however, a law stating s not 'wrong' or a 'sin' for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim, hence why I believe they didn't observe the minute silence.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Rascal21 wrote:[ there is however, a law stating s not 'wrong' or a 'sin' for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim, hence why I believe they didn't observe the minute silence.
So murdering is ok to then?

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

We won the game but I don't think we are going to go through especially if we play like we did in the first half.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Stich's mob in the foreground

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

They are forbidden to stand in silence in a line for one minute and are required to abide by this law.[/quote]

Your argument may have had some merit but your first sentence just sent it to the shitter. Its not forbidden it is just in sharia law its not unlawful or a sin to kill an unbeliever. They could have just stood still for 60 seconds and respected our right to recognise the tragic death of 2 people at the hands of religious nutters.[/quote]

My argument has zero merit.

I was hoping to fast track the apologist poster responses.

Slinky came to the party.[/quote]

I think I may of picked it too :wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Mr Red wrote:Shoulder to shoulder - To be legal, it: (a) cannot take place from behind (b) is only permitted within playing distance (i.e., 3 feet) of the ball (c) cannot be violent or dangerous (d) must be intended to win the ball & not just to knock down the opponent (e) must be shoulder to shoulder (not to the opponents chest or back) with the arms (especially elbows) close to the body (f) the player must have at least one foot on the ground (i.e., he can't leap)

The Saudi guy had is eyes for Leckie and not the ball so I would say he wasn't intending to win the ball but to stop Leckie's run. If we let this sort of thing happen it could make interesting viewing if players started doing this all the time.
If that's a penalty then the game is dead as I love. Ref made the correct decision. Later on, not giving the penalty against australia for the handball was right as well.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Rascal21 wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:

As an Australian who was born (my parents were based there) and grew up in Saudi Arabia, it was not a cultural difference it was a stand.

Sharia Law states that when you enter another country, you are considered to be living in their adopted country under a covenant. You must, therefore, comply with the laws and traditions of their country of residence. There is no law that states you can't stand for a minutes silence, there is however, a law stating s not 'wrong' or a 'sin' for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim, hence why I believe they didn't observe the minute silence.

Wow, just wow, so they purposefully didn't observe the minutes silence as they didn't agree with showing respect to the murdered people, how did you feel about that?

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

The crowd seemed to observe a 90 minute silence. :lol:

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Grosso wrote:The crowd seemed to observe a 90 minute silence. :lol:
That was actually quite funny, poor crowd not atmosphere - welcome to Adelaide -Vidmar was right

give us a break
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by give us a break »

How bad was Jedinak!
His passing completion rate under pressure can't have been higher than 10%.
Sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to be a complete fool. - Voltaire