ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

Post by Wunkar Fox »

They say a picture says a thousand words but that one only said five (or six if you consider it's to be two words).
Random roadkill

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

Since you're so creative with usernames when are you know to take up that challenge someone threw at you a couple of weeks ago.
Random roadkill

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

WAANKER FUX (aka Wunkar Fox) - STFU!

Are you Grossout's cousin? Or his alter ego with yet another pseudonym? Or an AFL Plant too? Did you even watch the game to be commenting on it, ya bloody mug?

ps, wot the faark else are you raving about, WAANKER?

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

I can't remember who said what where but if you throw creatve username in the search function it should pop up.
Random roadkill

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

England nowhere near full strength to start the game, only Henderson, Sterling & Smalling would be in our 1st choice starting line up. Dier came on as a cb & soon showed why he isn't one. Rashford, although he scored on debut & is a obvious talent, has a way to go yet. Rooney showed why he would be overjoyed Van Gaal is no longer Utd manager & he's back to his best position. We will trouble teams with our pace in attack but have obvious problems to overcome in defence. For the Aussies, Mooy, Smith & Wright played well with Kruse & Rogic looking the part. Well done to RH in the post match interview freely giving credit to Australia, & AP begrudgingly doing the same to England. Obviously it was the Aussie captain's 1st ever interview by the way he spoke. He will be lost to the game if an archaeologist ever discovers him, definitely the "missing link".

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

never never land wrote:Just finished watching the game.
IN MY OPINION both sides took something out of the game last night. Another chance for both Roy and Ange to look at players with England obviously closer to fall strength heading into the Euros.

Australia: I think most Australian fans are pretty content with the performance of the socceroos last night. At times they completely controlled the tempo of the game and played with a positive style keeping the ball. Some Australian fans would have been nervous with a some what make shift back four but has to be said Smith Milligan and Wright held their own. In my opinionbelieve the RB spot is still the biggest immediate worry for Australia as Josh Risdon is not the answer at international level, he got caught out defensively far to many times last night.
Australia clearly missed the Asian contingent of Sainsbury/Spiranovic/Cahill/Leckie/Burns. In my opinion McLaren looked out of his depth and can't play with his back to goal or compete in the air which Australia needs their CF to be able to do. Overall it was a good hit out for the Australian team who again showed they have come along way since Ange took over and have an entertaining style of play which will hold up at international level.

England: As an England fan heading into the Euro's England looked very dangerous on the counter attack and will cause a number of teams a problem using their pace and fire power. The huge worry for England is their defending and inability to control the tempo of the game for long periods. Against the more organised and patients teams at the Euros such as Germany/France/Spain I think is where England will eventually fall in France.
As an England fan I would love to see a manager more similar to Postocoglua in charge, who will get his team playing positive possession football no matter who is playing and what the opposition is. For me Roy shapes his teams to fit players into the team rather than players fitting into a system. After this game I think there is more questions being asked about England then there would be for Australia.
The defending for the two goals was pathetic, it was Sunday league stuff. Rashford had acres of space and Rooney had 1/4 of a pitch. The finish by Rooney was an absolute piss take. Shame Vardy missed the game, he would have an absolute field day running at that back four

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Socceroos not even in the same postcode as top 10 nations and that was a 'B' team of what ifs as Hodgson trims his squad.
Never threatened to score for 93' but for the charity gift provided after the Serbian international's cross.
Last edited by Grosso on Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

B.Toomer wrote:England nowhere near full strength to start the game, only Henderson, Sterling & Smalling would be in our 1st choice starting line up. Dier came on as a cb & soon showed why he isn't one. Rashford, although he scored on debut & is a obvious talent, has a way to go yet. Rooney showed why he would be overjoyed Van Gaal is no longer Utd manager & he's back to his best position. We will trouble teams with our pace in attack but have obvious problems to overcome in defence. For the Aussies, Mooy, Smith & Wright played well with Kruse & Rogic looking the part. Well done to RH in the post match interview freely giving credit to Australia, & AP begrudgingly doing the same to England. Obviously it was the Aussie captain's 1st ever interview by the way he spoke. He will be lost to the game if an archaeologist ever discovers him, definitely the "missing link".
Certainly defensively England look frail and against the quality sides in the Euros could be real issue, whilst their strength seems the speed of the counter attack which caught Australia out quite a few times. It does however look like Hodgson is still unsure what is his best formation going forward.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:
Teardrop Explodes wrote:I didn't watch it. Get up at at some ungodly hour to watch a friendly... you're 'avin' a larf :lol:
Harping on... leave it out. I only mentioned it once.
You poor thing, you were getting your beauty sleep, probably like God Isn't An Englishman and couldn't get up at 4.15am to watch. And now you comment based on FoxSports news clips you might have glanced at, and without any context of the ebb & flow of the whole game.

They say that you should never assume.

That said, I didn't watch it live. I recorded then got up at a normal hour and watched the game as if it was live.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:Ok, seeing this post is before the match kicks off, and given its "only a friendly", IF England wins 4-0 or thereabouts (or any thrashing), will you remain silent seeing it doesn't really matter?
So can we now accept that it was only a friendly.

Yes, you got beaten by our reserves and Forster was seen having a cup of team behind his goal as he had so little to do but it's still

ONLY A FRIENDLY!!
I saw a few of our reserves playing too. Where was Timmy?
Ignore this signature

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Cahill is an off the bench player now. Definitely the best Australian born player Australia has had. English father, Samoan mother, learn his trade in England. I think he represented Samoa as a 14 y.o. How very Australian!

Pot Kettle Black
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Pot Kettle Black »

B.Toomer wrote:Cahill is an off the bench player now. Definitely the best Australian born player Australia has had. English father, Samoan mother, learn his trade in England. I think he represented Samoa as a 14 y.o. How very Australian!
Fifa should have never allowed him to represent Australia.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pot Kettle Black wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:Cahill is an off the bench player now. Definitely the best Australian born player Australia has had. English father, Samoan mother, learn his trade in England. I think he represented Samoa as a 14 y.o. How very Australian!
Fifa should have never allowed him to represent Australia.
Football Australia shiraz up and cost him years of
International caps.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I was one of the suckers who got up early to watch it. The first half was excellent from both sides. I nodded of in the second.... :|

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

That's enough for me.
Ignore this signature

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

Cahill playing for Australia is not as ridiculous as Owen Hargreaves playing for England.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

The key to success as an Australian footballer is to learn the game in another country or be coached from a young age by a parent from another country. (not NZ)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

kingswood wrote:
Cahill playing for Australia is not as ridiculous as Owen Hargreaves playing for England.
Doesn't Hargreaves has English parents?

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Owen Hargraves' dad is English & his Mum is Welsh. At least he has some English blood. Cahill doesn't have a drop of Australian blood, only English & Samoan.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

B.Toomer wrote:Owen Hargraves' dad is English & his Mum is Welsh. At least he has some English blood. Cahill doesn't have a drop of Australian blood, only English & Samoan.
That pretty much shuts down the Hargreaves not being English then.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

B.Toomer wrote:Owen Hargraves' dad is English & his Mum is Welsh. At least he has some English blood. Cahill doesn't have a drop of Australian blood, only English & Samoan.
That's the same with 40% of the Australian population. Which has been the case roughly the entire history of Australia.

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

What is "Australian blood"? :lol:

Australia is a country of immigrants, both recent and a bit older. Hargreaves initially chose to play for Wales at youth level- just like Cahill initially chose to play for Samoa at youth level.

As for Tim Cahill's dad, I always thought he was Irish, and had lived in Australia and Samoa for decades.

We wouldn't have been able to field a team at the 74 world cup if two thirds of the squad had played for the country of their parents' birth.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

kingswood wrote:

Australia is a country of immigrants, both recent and a bit older. Hargreaves initially chose to play for Wales at youth level- just like Cahill initially chose to play for Samoa at youth level.

As for Tim Cahill's dad, I always thought he was Irish, and had lived in Australia and Samoa for decades.

We wouldn't have been able to field a team at the 74 world cup if two thirds of the squad had played for the country of their parents' birth.
Cahill's dad is English but of Irish descent. Either way, not Australian.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

kingswood wrote:

Cahill's dad is English but of Irish descent. Either way, not Australian.
So if you're not an Aborigine you aren't Australian????
It's all in the Delivery!

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Kingswood stated that Cahill playing for Australia was not as ridiculous as Hargreaves playing for England. By blood lines, he's proven wrong, as Hargreaves has English blood, but Cahill has no Australian blood at all. In fact, Cahill has spent very little time in Australia, the majority has been spent in England. Yes, the only true "Australian" is an Aborigine, but if your ancestors arrived on the 1st fleet or not long after, it would be fair to call yourself "Australian". If a man & his pregnant wife were flying to America on a holiday & during a brief stopover in China, the wife gave birth prematurely , would the child be Chinese? Given that the Australian couple were able to trace their roots back to the 1st fleet, the child had no Chinese blood at all, obviously didn't look Chinese, probably never speak Chinese, but in your mind, he is still Chinese??? I don't think so. In the world the way it is now, & more so in the future, national teams will have more & more players of mixed blood and birth places.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote: So if you're not an Aborigine you aren't Australian????
I have no issue with Cahill playing for Australia or Kewell due to their place of birth.

By my reckoning, to be Australian you have to have Parent who was Australian at birth.

So Cahill is not Australian, my kids are half Australian.

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

B.Toomer wrote:Kingswood stated that Cahill playing for Australia was not as ridiculous as Hargreaves playing for England. By blood lines, he's proven wrong, as Hargreaves has English blood, but Cahill has no Australian blood at all. In fact, Cahill has spent very little time in Australia, the majority has been spent in England. Yes, the only true "Australian" is an Aborigine, but if your ancestors arrived on the 1st fleet or not long after, it would be fair to call yourself "Australian". If a man & his pregnant wife were flying to America on a holiday & during a brief stopover in China, the wife gave birth prematurely , would the child be Chinese? Given that the Australian couple were able to trace their roots back to the 1st fleet, the child had no Chinese blood at all, obviously didn't look Chinese, probably never speak Chinese, but in your mind, he is still Chinese??? I don't think so. In the world the way it is now, & more so in the future, national teams will have more & more players of mixed blood and birth places.
There is no such thing as "Australian blood"... Cahill is Australian, because he was born here and he choses to identify himself as Australian. You say as much yourself in your last sentence. Your Chinese example is just stupid- as if that child would ever identify himself as Chinese!

Huge numbers of Australian footballers have chosen to play for Australia because they were born here- despite their parents having links with other countries. That's how Australian football- a late comer on the international scene- developed.

Seeing as you are so keen on "English blood"- how much English blood did England internationals Tony Dorigo, John Barnes and Colin Viljoen have? :lol:

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

kingswood wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:Kingswood stated that Cahill playing for Australia was not as ridiculous as Hargreaves playing for England. By blood lines, he's proven wrong, as Hargreaves has English blood, but Cahill has no Australian blood at all. In fact, Cahill has spent very little time in Australia, the majority has been spent in England. Yes, the only true "Australian" is an Aborigine, but if your ancestors arrived on the 1st fleet or not long after, it would be fair to call yourself "Australian". If a man & his pregnant wife were flying to America on a holiday & during a brief stopover in China, the wife gave birth prematurely , would the child be Chinese? Given that the Australian couple were able to trace their roots back to the 1st fleet, the child had no Chinese blood at all, obviously didn't look Chinese, probably never speak Chinese, but in your mind, he is still Chinese??? I don't think so. In the world the way it is now, & more so in the future, national teams will have more & more players of mixed blood and birth places.
There is no such thing as "Australian blood"... Cahill is Australian, because he was born here and he choses to identify himself as Australian. You say as much yourself in your last sentence. Your Chinese example is just stupid- as if that child would ever identify himself as Chinese!

Huge numbers of Australian footballers have chosen to play for Australia because they were born here- despite their parents having links with other countries. That's how Australian football- a late comer on the international scene- developed.

Seeing as you are so keen on "English blood"- how much English blood did England internationals Tony Dorigo, John Barnes and Colin Viljoen have? :lol:
Colin who? Scraping the bottom of the barrel there

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Brian the Postman wrote: So if you're not an Aborigine you aren't Australian????
I have no issue with Cahill playing for Australia or Kewell due to their place of birth.

By my reckoning, to be Australian you have to have Parent who was Australian at birth.

Could say the same for Mark Schwarzer - which again is why he has no affinity with Australia

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Grosso wrote:

Could say the same for Mark Schwarzer - which again is why he has no affinity with Australia

???