ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Vardy looks set to be the first to say he can't be bothered playing against Australia. Apparently he'd rather go to a wedding.
Scared that's all. Getting married may well be a regret later in life instead of playing, we shall see. :wink:
Gotta ask, if his wedding was planned, why was he even selected in the squad?

Because he will play in the bigger games against Turkey and Portugal. His wedding was brought forwards apparently as originally it clashed with the Euro's.
He shouldn't have bothered against Turkey either. He was crap, sort of out on the left wing for nearly 60 minutes until Mr Conservative shifted him into the middle with Kane.

Prior to that he couldn't cross a ball, couldn't shoot. Hasn't Hodgson been watching the EPL? Vardy is best suited playing off the last defender's shoulder, using his speed & enthusiasm to chase everything down. He wasn't the only player down on form and Turkey outplayed them for large chunks of the game. Rose was given a bath by the Turkish winger.

And oh, Vardy dived AGAIN for a penalty. Thank goodness refs look like they're already implementing the no-triple punishment approach and he only awarded a penalty against the Turkish skipper. Which Kane missed.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Con M wrote: He shouldn't have bothered against Turkey either. He was crap, sort of out on the left wing for nearly 60 minutes until Mr Conservative shifted him into the middle with Kane.

Prior to that he couldn't cross a ball, couldn't shoot. Hasn't Hodgson been watching the EPL? Vardy is best suited playing off the last defender's shoulder, using his speed & enthusiasm to chase everything down. He wasn't the only player down on form and Turkey outplayed them for large chunks of the game. Rose was given a bath by the Turkish winger.

And oh, Vardy dived AGAIN for a penalty. Thank goodness refs look like they're already implementing the no-triple punishment approach and he only awarded a penalty against the Turkish skipper. Which Kane missed.
Yeah Vardy is crap :lol:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

magnet wrote:
Con M wrote: He shouldn't have bothered against Turkey either. He was crap, sort of out on the left wing for nearly 60 minutes until Mr Conservative shifted him into the middle with Kane.

Read again. I said in the those 60 minutes when he was played out of position. Did you watch the whole game, or was it past your bed-time?
Last edited by Con M on Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Con M wrote:
magnet wrote:

Read again. I said in the those 60 minutes ehen he was played out of position. Did you watch the whole game, or was it past your bed-time?
You said he was crap and down on form. One bottle of shiraz game!

Yes I watched the game and yes Vardy was played out of position. One bad game doesn't make him a bad player and the same goes for Rose. It was a useful run out for Wilshire.

We won't win the Euros but a team with Ali, Vardy, Kane etc is more enjoyable than the shite we usually get.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Great memories of that 3-1 win over England. We had a giant screen on at our Clubrooms and did the whole big breakfast thing. At half-time we spoke to my daughter & son-in-law who were at Upton Park and they said the atmosphere amongst the Aussie ex-pats was incredible.

Sadly this time the game is only on Fox. To the best of my knowledge not one FFSA Club has Fox anymore since Adelaide City Juventus @ Oakden Central did away with their payTV.
Friendly or not, I hope Hodgson stuffs up with his selections and our National Team makes a game of it.

Scumbag College
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Scumbag College »

It'll still be only a friendly and nothing to rave about.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Just seen the proposed England team, I still think our reserves will beat you though.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Con M wrote:Great memories of that 3-1 win over England. We had a giant screen on at our Clubrooms and did the whole big breakfast thing. At half-time we spoke to my daughter & son-in-law who were at Upton Park and they said the atmosphere amongst the Aussie ex-pats was incredible.

Sadly this time the game is only on Fox. To the best of my knowledge not one FFSA Club has Fox anymore since Adelaide City Juventus @ Oakden Central did away with their payTV.
Friendly or not, I hope Hodgson stuffs up with his selections and our National Team makes a game of it.
We should forfeit given that Cahill is now injured. Down to our last two centre backs.....worrying times given the tournament ahead.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Scumbag College wrote:It'll still be only a friendly and nothing to rave about.
There will be street parties again if they win.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Scumbag College wrote:It'll still be only a friendly and nothing to rave about.
A prestige game for us nevertheless. This is mighty England against Australia, whose playing talent is divided among 4 different football codes.

England were still embarrassed at the 1-3 result last time and have the most to lose if it goes wrong again. However I don't think conservative Hodgson will get it completely wrong like the mad Swede did that time . Rooney looked good orchestrating things in the F.A. Cup Final & is probably refreshed more by missing a lot of the league season.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Just seen the proposed England team, I still think our reserves will beat you though.
The 11 reserves the mad Swede threw on at half-time of the 1-3 humiliation couldn't beat our National Team.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

magnet wrote:
Con M wrote:Great memories of that 3-1 win over England. We had a giant screen on at our Clubrooms and did the whole big breakfast thing. At half-time we spoke to my daughter & son-in-law who were at Upton Park and they said the atmosphere amongst the Aussie ex-pats was incredible.

We should forfeit given that Cahill is now injured. Down to our last two centre backs.....worrying times given the tournament ahead.
Problem is that there is real shortage of English defenders playing EPL, especially in the top 8 . England's defence looks it's real weakness , even Turkey exposed the frailties.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Just seen the proposed England team, I still think our reserves will beat you though.
The 11 reserves the mad Swede threw on at half-time of the 1-3 humiliation couldn't beat our National Team.
humiliation - IT WAS A FRIENDLY

and that was basically the youth team and they drew.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Con M wrote:

Ok, seeing this post is before the match kicks off, and given its "only a friendly", IF England wins 4-0 or thereabouts (or any thrashing), will you remain silent seeing it doesn't really matter?
Ignore this signature

Teardrop Explodes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Teardrop Explodes »

Probably... but toomer will pipe up.
Until you realize it's just a story

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bomber wrote:
Con M wrote: The 11 reserves the mad Swede threw on at half-time of the 1-3 humiliation couldn't beat our National Team.

Ok, seeing this post is before the match kicks off, and given its "only a friendly", IF England wins 4-0 or thereabouts (or any thrashing), will you remain silent seeing it doesn't really matter?
Well said, Bomboff. Is there ever really a friendly between England & Australia in sport?

So close to a very different start in the first minutes when the cumbersome giant 'keeper, Fraser Forster got his feet in a tangle and our forwards were so surprised they didn't grab a very real chance to take the lead. The mainstream TV News media won't show that replay.

After that Australia took over in large parts of the first half.

As for God Isn't An Englishman drawing a very long bow that any reserve coming on in that 1-3 defeat thinking he had drawn the match - well..

Rooney goal was class, but overall a good performance by Australia and by Mooy, Wright & Smith in particular.

Good to see Goodwin get a cameo appearance.

Teardrop Explodes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

You can't always rely on the opposition to put the ball in the net for you.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Teardrop Explodes wrote:You can't always rely on the opposition to put the ball in the net for you.
Surprise surprise, someone was always going to harp on about that. No comment that Australia's overall positive play deserved at least a goal. Even Hodgson conceded Australia outplayed his mob in that first half.

Teardrop Explodes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

I didn't watch it. Get up at at some ungodly hour to watch a friendly... you're 'avin' a larf :lol:
Harping on... leave it out. I only mentioned it once.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Well that was pretty much as expected. England B team just plodding along merrily trying to avoid injury. The England goals summed up the 4-3-3 to which Australia is pinning all its hopes. There is such a lack of cover for the full back with that formation. Rashford nearly got in after Ronney's goal in the exact same position. It's laughable in professional football to give players half a pitch of space.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Not sure what point you're making....England switched to a 4-3-3 to accomodate Rooney
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Luongo was terrible - slow, easily tackled, lack of touch, no vision - he may as well stay home and look after the baby in future - he's not required for the NT

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Ok, seeing this post is before the match kicks off, and given its "only a friendly", IF England wins 4-0 or thereabouts (or any thrashing), will you remain silent seeing it doesn't really matter?
So can we now accept that it was only a friendly.

Yes, you got beaten by our reserves and Forster was seen having a cup of team behind his goal as he had so little to do but it's still

ONLY A FRIENDLY!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
Teardrop Explodes wrote:You can't always rely on the opposition to put the ball in the net for you.
Surprise surprise, someone was always going to harp on about that. No comment that Australia's overall positive play deserved at least a goal. Even Hodgson conceded Australia outplayed his mob in that first half.
Really?

It took 60 minutes for Forster to have to make a save, australia only really created one dangerous opportunity all game when Forster saved with his feet.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Teardrop Explodes wrote:I didn't watch it. Get up at at some ungodly hour to watch a friendly... you're 'avin' a larf :lol:
Harping on... leave it out. I only mentioned it once.
You poor thing, you were getting your beauty sleep, probably like God Isn't An Englishman and couldn't get up at 4.15am to watch. And now you comment based on FoxSports news clips you might have glanced at, and without any context of the ebb & flow of the whole game.

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

He probaby read it on Verdens Gang.
Random roadkill

never never land
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by never never land »

Just finished watching the game.
IN MY OPINION both sides took something out of the game last night. Another chance for both Roy and Ange to look at players with England obviously closer to fall strength heading into the Euros.

Australia: I think most Australian fans are pretty content with the performance of the socceroos last night. At times they completely controlled the tempo of the game and played with a positive style keeping the ball. Some Australian fans would have been nervous with a some what make shift back four but has to be said Smith Milligan and Wright held their own. In my opinionbelieve the RB spot is still the biggest immediate worry for Australia as Josh Risdon is not the answer at international level, he got caught out defensively far to many times last night.
Australia clearly missed the Asian contingent of Sainsbury/Spiranovic/Cahill/Leckie/Burns. In my opinion McLaren looked out of his depth and can't play with his back to goal or compete in the air which Australia needs their CF to be able to do. Overall it was a good hit out for the Australian team who again showed they have come along way since Ange took over and have an entertaining style of play which will hold up at international level.

England: As an England fan heading into the Euro's England looked very dangerous on the counter attack and will cause a number of teams a problem using their pace and fire power. The huge worry for England is their defending and inability to control the tempo of the game for long periods. Against the more organised and patients teams at the Euros such as Germany/France/Spain I think is where England will eventually fall in France.
As an England fan I would love to see a manager more similar to Postocoglua in charge, who will get his team playing positive possession football no matter who is playing and what the opposition is. For me Roy shapes his teams to fit players into the team rather than players fitting into a system. After this game I think there is more questions being asked about England then there would be for Australia.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

For some fans of the game who were unable to get up to watch the whole game at 4.15am, or even the second half LIVE at 5.15am, then the match is replayed at 12.30pm
today (Sat 28 May) on Fox Channel 502 and 9.15pm on Fox Channel 501.

For some however, those times do clash with the Brisbane Basket Cases versus Hawthorn AFL game and the Camry Crowies versus Massive Giants game.

And sadly for 75% of the population without pay-and-pay FoxTV there is no replay on SBS. All they might get is 18 seconds worth of clips on the pathetic commercial stations' evening News Bulletins.

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

Random roadkill

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

WAANKER FUX (aka Wunkar Fox) - STFU!

Are you Grossout's cousin? Or his alter ego with yet another pseudonym? Or an AFL Plant too?