ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA

Post by Stuckey »

B.Toomer wrote:Kingswood stated that Cahill playing for Australia was not as ridiculous as Hargreaves playing for England. By blood lines, he's proven wrong, as Hargreaves has English blood, but Cahill has no Australian blood at all. In fact, Cahill has spent very little time in Australia, the majority has been spent in England. Yes, the only true "Australian" is an Aborigine, but if your ancestors arrived on the 1st fleet or not long after, it would be fair to call yourself "Australian". If a man & his pregnant wife were flying to America on a holiday & during a brief stopover in China, the wife gave birth prematurely , would the child be Chinese? Given that the Australian couple were able to trace their roots back to the 1st fleet, the child had no Chinese blood at all, obviously didn't look Chinese, probably never speak Chinese, but in your mind, he is still Chinese??? I don't think so. In the world the way it is now, & more so in the future, national teams will have more & more players of mixed blood and birth places.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're either trolling really poorly or you're an idiot.
Anyone is Australian if they can prove it and choose to. Anyone who believes that people need to provide evidence of their blood line to prove they deserve a place in a certain society can go back to the 40's with the White Australia policy and old mate Adolf.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

ozzie owl wrote:
Grosso wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
I have no issue with Cahill playing for Australia or Kewell due to their place of birth.

By my reckoning, to be Australian you have to have Parent who was Australian at birth.

So Cahill is not Australian, my kids are half Australian.
Could say the same for Mark Schwarzer - which again is why he has no affinity with Australia

???
:lol: Australia's most capped player has no affinity for their country. Comedy gold from old mate Grosso.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Stuckey wrote: :lol: Australia's most capped player has no affinity for their country. Comedy gold from old mate Grosso.
Is nationality decided by how many caps you have now?

German Mum, German Dad. Sounds pretty German to me.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote: :lol: Australia's most capped player has no affinity for their country. Comedy gold from old mate Grosso.

Nationality wasn't mentioned Grosso is talking about affinity.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Stuckey wrote:

Jeez that was a bit of a slip up from the Hawkster.
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:

I think we know what he meant.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

I see Mathew Leckie missed this game because of his wedding.

I assume now that GIAE will admit the Australians didn't even care about the game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:Jeez that was a bit of a slip up from the Hawkster.
Not really.

As I said about Cahill, I have no issue with Schwarzer playing for australia due to his place of birth. He was entitled to an australian passport at birth, however - he's German.

We all know what he meant by affinity. It can just be meant in a number of ways. Grosso chose one, you have chosen the other.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Slinky_Pete wrote:I see Mathew Leckie missed this game because of his wedding.

I assume now that GIAE will admit the Australians didn't even care about the game.
No, but I will admit that this Leckie bloke didn't care about the game.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote: I think we know what he meant.
At no point ever do I have any clue what Grosso is talking about.
But the fact you are attempting to clarify his statement is a big concern.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
The concern for me is that you struggle to understand him. I don't agree with a lot of what he says but I can understand him.

It's not like he's JD.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:
The concern for me is that you struggle to understand him. I don't agree with a lot of what he says but I can understand him.

It's not like he's JD.
I'm shocked that you left yourself so open. Your statement is so presumptuous.

Comparing him to JD doesn't get you off the hook. Compare anyone to JD and they look like a genius.
It's like saying that a convicted car thief isn't that bad a person because they aren't as bad as Stalin.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:I'm shocked that you left yourself so open. Your statement is so presumptuous.

Comparing him to JD doesn't get you off the hook. Compare anyone to JD and they look like a genius.
It's like saying that a convicted car thief isn't that bad a person because they aren't as bad as Stalin.
I struggle to understand your point here.

Did I say he was a genius?

I only said that I could understand him and was surprised you couldn't or did you struggle to understand that as well.

For the record, I think JD might be the most intelligent person on this forum. He spouts the same crap every day and some fools still react and fall for it.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:I'm shocked that you left yourself so open. Your statement is so presumptuous.

I only said that I could understand him and was surprised you couldn't or did you struggle to understand that as well.

For the record, I think JD might be the most intelligent person on this forum. He spouts the same crap every day and some fools still react and fall for it.
My point is that you are presuming what Grosso said about affinity being nationality.
I agree with your point on JD although I think its more a reflection on the people that reply not JD.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:Kingswood stated that Cahill playing for Australia was not as ridiculous as Hargreaves playing for England. By blood lines, he's proven wrong, as Hargreaves has English blood, but Cahill has no Australian blood at all. In fact, Cahill has spent very little time in Australia, the majority has been spent in England. Yes, the only true "Australian" is an Aborigine, but if your ancestors arrived on the 1st fleet or not long after, it would be fair to call yourself "Australian". If a man & his pregnant wife were flying to America on a holiday & during a brief stopover in China, the wife gave birth prematurely , would the child be Chinese? Given that the Australian couple were able to trace their roots back to the 1st fleet, the child had no Chinese blood at all, obviously didn't look Chinese, probably never speak Chinese, but in your mind, he is still Chinese??? I don't think so. In the world the way it is now, & more so in the future, national teams will have more & more players of mixed blood and birth places.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're either trolling really poorly or you're an idiot.
Anyone is Australian if they can prove it and choose to. Anyone who believes that people need to provide evidence of their blood line to prove they deserve a place in a certain society can go back to the 40's with the White Australia policy and old mate Adolf.
When did he say they need to prove it to get a place in society.

I am not australian, I am not a citizen. If there ever becomes a decent reason to become one then I might but I won't go against my moral standards at this stage.

He never once said he doesn't deserve a place in society. He never once said he can't live in australia. However, a person born with a german father and a german mother is pretty obviously german.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:

My point is that you are presuming what Grosso said about affinity being nationality.
I agree with your point on JD although I think its more a reflection on the people that reply not JD.
You are "assuming" it's isn't about nationality.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Indeed. He's completely German and has no interest nor obligation to want to play in the A-league.
He'll remain in England or Europe where his heart is.
International football was just a job and an experience as he'd have no chance of getting into the German side who've had great goalkeepers (until recently if second half of Slovakia Germany is anything to go by)

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Stuckey wrote:

Unless Grosso has spoken to Schwarzer he would not know.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

we all know he's not Australian.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ever think to ask Schwarzer himself?

I have Polish father, Ukrainian mother, born and raised here and speak with an Aussie accent. I'm Australian (of Pole/Uke descent). Simples! :wink:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Ever think to ask Schwarzer himself?

I have Polish father, Ukrainian mother, born and raised here and speak with an Aussie accent. I'm Australian (of Pole/Uke descent). Simples! :wink:
You're as Australian as Schwarzer then.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Appreciate the compliment, ta
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Appreciate the compliment, ta
I agree, I would consider being told I wasn't Australian as a compliment as well.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:

You are "assuming" it's isn't about nationality.
Where did I say it's not? You're being presumptuous again. I simply said he never mentioned nationality in his original post.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

You assumed it wasn't when you made the comment laughing at Grossi for saying he has no affinity with Australia.

With your assumption he's wrong, with mine he's right. Therefore, my assumption makes sense.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:You assumed it wasn't when you made the comment laughing at Grossi for saying he has no affinity with Australia.

With your assumption he's wrong, with mine he's right. Therefore, my assumption makes sense.

Your problem is that you think you are always right and everyone else is wrong - which is wrong because you do not even begin to understand the notion of nationality.

If you are born in a country and hold a passport advising you are a citizen of that country then your nationality is of that country.

It does not matter what country your parents come from.

Mark Schwartzer was born in Australia, holds an Australian passport that identifies him as a citizen of Australia therefore he is an Australian Citizen - if you still doubt it contact your local federal MP and they will set you right on the whole citizenship/nationality situation..
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

You need to check the laws. Being born in Australia doesn't guarantee you a passport of that country.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman wrote:You need to check the laws. Being born in Australia doesn't guarantee you a passport of that country.
It does for Mark Schwarzer.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Slinky_Pete wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:You need to check the laws. Being born in Australia doesn't guarantee you a passport of that country.
It does for Mark Schwarzer.
Which is why I said I had no issue with him playing for Australia. However, there are many people with Australian passports that aren't Australian.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Schwarzer also holds an European passport as well, I believe.