Adelaide to finally get another Socceroos match in March

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Adelaide to finally get another Socceroos match in March

Post by Grosso »

OldGold wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:FFS Matt McKay has been picked, the answer to the question not worth asking at International level.

Surely there are any number of players more deserving for this high short wearing exponent of kick and chase.
Ange's favourite along with Fanjic.... has Oar been picked too?

I think 40k would be a good crowd, not exactly stellar opposition, training night, people going away for long weekend etc etc.
because the Socceroos play in Adelaide every other month :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

God is an Englishman wrote:
If it's not a sell out then you should give up on the idea of getting another game.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

tickets sales are pretty strong, looking like a massive crowd...well over 30k tickets sold.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

adelaidebloke wrote:tickets sales are pretty strong, looking like a massive crowd...well over 30k tickets sold.
The sales so far are well in excess of the attendance for the Perth WC qualifier.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

I saw Assistant Coach Ante Milicic today and he said Sydney will have the same problem as Adelaide trying to convince people to forgo their training and come to support our National Team.

On Tuesday night when the National Team is playing Jordan it is a training night for local clubs, juniors & amateurs in Sydney.

I gave a note to Mile Jedinak to hand to Ange Posticoglou, asking him as National Coach to put out a public plea in all media for FFSA Clubs, their juniors & Amateur Clubs to forgo Thursday's training and come out in force to support the Socceroos. I believe Ange has done that. I hope his words don't fall on deaf ears and he has some success.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

He put that note straight in the nearest bin

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:I saw Assistant Coach Ante Milicic today and he said Sydney will have the same problem as Adelaide trying to convince people to forgo their training and come to support our National Team.

On Tuesday night when the National Team is playing Jordan it is a training night for local clubs, juniors & amateurs in Sydney.

I gave a note to Mile Jedinak to hand to Ange Posticoglou, asking him as National Coach to put out a public plea in all media for FFSA Clubs, their juniors & Amateur Clubs to forgo Thursday's training and come out in force to support the Socceroos. I believe Ange has done that. I hope his words don't fall on deaf ears and he has some success.
Good to see Ange has issued a statement urging clubs to cancel training on Thursday.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

I also met a delighted youngster named Fabian and his mother near Adelaide Oval. Apparently he was in a photo shoot with Tim Cahill and will be on the front page on Wednesday 23 March.

Hopefully this will inspire other parents, coaches and children to forgo training on 24 March and go along to support our National Team. Youngsters do learn from watching their heroes play and it can't do any harm for coaches to take their charges with the assistance of parents. A ticket for 2 Parents & 2 children (or 1 parent & 3 children) costs a mere $49, virtually making kids free. They can be purchased at City Cross X-Lotto outlet with no booking cost. Or at the Adelaide Oval Box Office from 5.30pm on Thursday 24 March.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:He put that note straight in the nearest bin
No he didn't, GIsn'tAE. His plea to everyone to forgo local training will be in the newspaper.

Why not come along and at least support ex-Millwall boys Tim Cahill & Shane Lowry, GIsn'tAE? You always said versatile left-back or centre-back Lowry would be deserving of a place in the Australian line-up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
No he didn't, GIsn'tAE. His plea to everyone to forgo local training will be in the newspaper.

Why not come along and at least support ex-Millwall boys Tim Cahill & Shane Lowry, GIsn'tAE? You always said versatile left-back or centre-back Lowry would be deserving of a place in the Australian line-up.

My own side have a game that night, I'll be at that.

Didn't even know Lowry was in the side, not good enough for a league one side but good enough for Australia :lol:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:

My own side have a game that night, I'll be at that.

Didn't even know Lowry was in the side, not good enough for a league one side but good enough for Australia :lol:
No surprise your amateur side didn't even check a calendar, or worse, check and purposely schedule a trial game on the night our National Team is playing.

As for Lowry, look back on your own threads where you rightfully praised Shane as a very good left-sided defender. Plenty of players in the past have been playing for a lowly side yet fitted in like a perfect cog for their National Team. From memory, didn't Mick Channon play for England, yet wasn't at a big club. Will your cynicism never cease?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I think our senior teams are having the night off, BUT will train Good Friday instead. Although we've satisfied Con, we now have to deal with a truckload of Christians!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote: No surprise your amateur side didn't even check a calendar, or worse, check and purposely schedule a trial game on the night our National Team is playing.

As for Lowry, look back on your own threads where you rightfully praised Shane as a very good left-sided defender. Plenty of players in the past have been playing for a lowly side yet fitted in like a perfect cog for their National Team. From memory, didn't Mick Channon play for England, yet wasn't at a big club. Will your cynicism never cease?
I've even had players contact me to make sure we don't cancel training.

I do like Lowry but facts are he wasn't considered good enough for a league one side but is considered good enough for Australia.

I don't think channon ever played for England shortly after being told he wasn't good enough for a 3rd tier team.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Looking forward to a great night watching Australian and hopefully many more to come.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Con M wrote: No surprise your amateur side didn't even check a calendar, or worse, check and purposely schedule a trial game on the night our National Team is playing.

I do like Lowry but facts are he wasn't considered good enough for a league one side but is considered good enough for Australia.

I don't think channon ever played for England shortly after being told he wasn't good enough for a 3rd tier team.
Are Birmingham city a league one side?
It's all in the Delivery!

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:

No

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

as you can see, the hill and top tier of the river stand are unavailable for sale for this match.

that would trim about 15k off ground capacity.

so even with only 35k seats available, there's still plenty of tickets available in all categories.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

If it's not a sell out then you should give up on the idea of getting another game.
Has Wembley sold out for every WC qualifier played there?
Ignore this signature

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

15 k top of the southern stand, maybe 6 or 7 k of a 54 k capacity.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
No, however Wembley has many games and isn't 700km away from its next big city and hasn't been screaming about getting a game for years.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:
London population nearly 14m and football number one spot as well, so why not sold out ?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

35,400 great crowd , I'm sure the usual suspects will disagree.

Ronnie Chiggs
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ronnie Chiggs »

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: If it's not a sell out then you should give up on the idea of getting another game.
Your comparing Wembley to Adelaide? Sheffield might have been a better analogy.
No-one is innocent

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:London population nearly 14m and football number one spot as well, so why not sold out ?
Wembley has about 10 games per year, Adelaide has 1 game in 12 years. That's 120 x more games.

Pretty obvious really.

Wembley is also CONSIDERABLY larger

1 GAME IN 12 YEARS - it's a failure if it didn't sell out.

A number of people on facebook are complaining about the low crowd). Did they even reach 40k?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:35,400 great crowd
:lol:

Ronnie Chiggs
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ronnie Chiggs »

Bloody rain !
No-one is innocent

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ronnie Biggs wrote:Bloody rain !
can you believe they played it so close to a long weekend, and at adelaide oval, with kids training as well. Plus, it was in competition with the SANFL opening game at the parade as well.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

34,500 in Adelaide v 19,000 for Perth WC qualifier .

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:34,500 in Adelaide v 19,000 for Perth WC qualifier .
Just because someone else was worse, doesn't make yours acceptable