The road to Moscow

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: The road to Moscow

Post by BPBC »

Stuckey wrote:
Bangkok: Ange Postecoglou issued an ominous warning for several members of the Socceroos team that failed to beat Thailand, telling them to use the four-month break between international games to sort out their club futures if they're to remain in the squad.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ange ... sqtuq.html

I don't like this comment from Ange. I feel its basically telling players their spots are still their's to lose. The message should be: "if you're playing you'll get a call up. If you're not you won't". I don't get why players like Kruse need to be put on notice. Like they weren't aware playing 75 mins of football in 4 months is bad.
IMO this was a judgement call from Ange that he got wrong. I think he didn't expect so much from Thailand and thought this would be a good chance to give players like Kruse and Smith another opportunity to get game time, in the hope that gets them back in the fray with their clubs as both of their clubs play at a high level.
Ange plays a system and uses players who are able to play that system. Its not as simple as how you put it, Mooy has had plenty of game time yet was one of our worst the other night. I think you are reading too much into things, his comments are a kick up the butt to the players he rates as being the best to play the game he wants played. He said squad, not team, he is saying don't expect to be even in the next camp. We unfortunately don't have a huge pool of talent to fall back on. Tuesday night was clearly disappointing by a lot of players, both with game time and without.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

BPBC wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Bangkok: Ange Postecoglou issued an ominous warning for several members of the Socceroos team that failed to beat Thailand, telling them to use the four-month break between international games to sort out their club futures if they're to remain in the squad.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ange ... sqtuq.html

I don't like this comment from Ange. I feel its basically telling players their spots are still their's to lose. The message should be: "if you're playing you'll get a call up. If you're not you won't". I don't get why players like Kruse need to be put on notice. Like they weren't aware playing 75 mins of football in 4 months is bad.
IMO this was a judgement call from Ange that he got wrong. I think he didn't expect so much from Thailand and thought this would be a good chance to give players like Kruse and Smith another opportunity to get game time, in the hope that gets them back in the fray with their clubs as both of their clubs play at a high level.
Ange plays a system and uses players who are able to play that system. Its not as simple as how you put it, Mooy has had plenty of game time yet was one of our worst the other night. I think you are reading too much into things, his comments are a kick up the butt to the players he rates as being the best to play the game he wants played. He said squad, not team, he is saying don't expect to be even in the next camp. We unfortunately don't have a huge pool of talent to fall back on. Tuesday night was clearly disappointing by a lot of players, both with game time and without.
Of course I know it's not as simple as subbing another player in. But clearly he under-estimated the Thais thinking that a totally un-match-fit Kruse was up to 90mins.
The talent pool isn't huge but IMO it's bigger than Ange is willing to go with at this stage. The Thai squad was entirely made up of local players I'm sure players like Goodwin or Jeggo (who have a lot of games under their belt this season, and have been in and around the squad for sometime) would be able to deal with that standard given they are both playing in a European top flight.
That's just an example BTW. As said I understand it's not as simple as that, my point is that I feel Ange has focused too heavily on players he feels can do a job and not enough on whether they are at an acceptable level of fitness.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

"kick up the butt"

aussie coaching mentality :lol:

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Stuckey wrote: Of course I know it's not as simple as subbing another player in. But clearly he under-estimated the Thais thinking that a totally un-match-fit Kruse was up to 90mins.
The talent pool isn't huge but IMO it's bigger than Ange is willing to go with at this stage. The Thai squad was entirely made up of local players I'm sure players like Goodwin or Jeggo (who have a lot of games under their belt this season, and have been in and around the squad for sometime) would be able to deal with that standard given they are both playing in a European top flight.
That's just an example BTW. As said I understand it's not as simple as that, my point is that I feel Ange has focused too heavily on players he feels can do a job and not enough on whether they are at an acceptable level of fitness.
Look nothing wrong with questioning after a performance like that, but i think comments like 'clearly under-estimated' and the assumption he has neglected to take into account fitness are just that, assumptions. Im positive he has more of an idea than any of us how things are progressing as he puts the squad through their paces. We can go on all we like about how the Thai's played, but the fact is if we had landed a pass or 2 out of the 20 odd in the box we might be looking at a (undeserved) win. It was a cabernet performance and we still generated plenty of opportunities, just let down by woeful distribution. Disappointing losses always bring out opinions, but i just thought you are trying to read too much into his comments in regards to players getting game time. He is being open and honest, damned if you damned if you don't. Personally I liked hearing that he has said that, that ball is now in the players court, you never know those players may be back in Oz soon

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

BPBC wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Of course I know it's not as simple as subbing another player in. But clearly he under-estimated the Thais thinking that a totally un-match-fit Kruse was up to 90mins.
Look nothing wrong with questioning after a performance like that, but i think comments like 'clearly under-estimated' and the assumption he has neglected to take into account fitness are just that, assumptions. Im positive he has more of an idea than any of us how things are progressing as he puts the squad through their paces. We can go on all we like about how the Thai's played, but the fact is if we had landed a pass or 2 out of the 20 odd in the box we might be looking at a (undeserved) win. It was a cabernet performance and we still generated plenty of opportunities, just let down by woeful distribution. Disappointing losses always bring out opinions, but i just thought you are trying to read too much into his comments in regards to players getting game time. He is being open and honest, damned if you damned if you don't. Personally I liked hearing that he has said that, that ball is now in the players court, you never know those players may be back in Oz soon
Yeah that's true. I'm obviously disappointed. I'd say that's probably the worst game I've seen from the Socceroos under Ange.
Ange has been so good at identifying younger players to come into the squad which before he came along was something the Socceroos lacked. So I'm just sad to see him seemingly do what Holger did that contributed to him failing IMO.
I hope and expect this is just a once off and the result and methods that led to it will obviously be looked at by Ange and co in the large period of time they have till the next WCQ.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Anyone ever thought that the system needs to be changed because everyone in Asia has worked out how to beat it now?

Physical power and speed are nno longer enough, we need to find players who can run with the ball without putting it twenty metres ahead of them and hoping no one wakes up to the fact that they have no skill?

The Thai players made the Aussie players look like park players - they had skills, pace, endurance and tactical know how and that best way to goal is sometimes a straight one, down the middle. :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:Anyone ever thought that the system needs to be changed because everyone in Asia has worked out how to beat it now?

Physical power and speed are nno longer enough, we need to find players who can run with the ball without putting it twenty metres ahead of them and hoping no one wakes up to the fact that they have no skill?

The Thai players made the Aussie players look like park players - they had skills, pace, endurance and tactical know how and that best way to goal is sometimes a straight one, down the middle. :oops:
Ange has lost two competitive games since the 2014 world cup. Yeah lets overhaul the entire system. :lol:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Stuckey wrote:
Old Master wrote:Anyone ever thought that the system needs to be changed because everyone in Asia has worked out how to beat it now?

Ange has lost two competitive games since the 2014 world cup. Yeah lets overhaul the entire system. :lol:

No, I'm not saying that but I am saying that it needs some tweaking.

We only have one regular goal scorer at international level, that is Tim, so we need to find a way of getting more attacking midfielders into goal scoring positions much faster than we are doing at the moment.

I believe Rogic needs to be pushed further forward to provide better quality balls to Tim and to hold the ball up to bring other players into position.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

We only have one regular goal scorer at international level, that is Tim, so we need to find a way of getting more attacking midfielders into goal scoring positions much faster than we are doing at the moment.

I believe Rogic needs to be pushed further forward to provide better quality balls to Tim and to hold the ball up to bring other players into position.
God is an Englishman wrote:We? You're not even Australian.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Rogic, Mooy or Luongo can all provide that role IMO.
But yes obviously more goalscorers need to be found.
But so few Australian attacking players are getting regular game time which is why McLaren started against Thailand.
IMO Juric is a key player for the Socceroos going forward. He's got everything he needs to succeed. Only issue is he's got an average injury record.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The Thai players made the Aussie players look like park players - they had skills, pace, endurance and tactical know how and that best way to goal is sometimes a straight one, down the middle. :oops:[/quote]
Ange has lost two competitive games since the 2014 world cup. Yeah lets overhaul the entire system. :lol:[/quote]

I believe Rogic needs to be pushed further forward to provide better quality balls to Tim and to hold the ball up to bring other players into position.[/quote]
Rogic, Mooy or Luongo can all provide that role IMO.
But yes obviously more goalscorers need to be found.
But so few Australian attacking players are getting regular game time which is why McLaren started against Thailand.
IMO Juric is a key player for the Socceroos going forward. He's got everything he needs to succeed. Only issue is he's got an average injury record.[/quote]

We need to casting the net wider as I have heard there are a few young Aussie players, who went over to Europe at 16 years of age and never made any representative squads, but are doing pretty well and on the edge of breaking into senior Football.

Can't remember the names but there was an article before the New Year in 442 on a couple of them.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:We need to casting the net wider as I have heard there are a few young Aussie players, who went over to Europe at 16 years of age and never made any representative squads, but are doing pretty well and on the edge of breaking into senior Football.

Can't remember the names but there was an article before the New Year in 442 on a couple of them.
We? :lol:

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

:lol:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:We need to casting the net wider as I have heard there are a few young Aussie players, who went over to Europe at 16 years of age and never made any representative squads, but are doing pretty well and on the edge of breaking into senior Football.

Well alright then, Not You! :lol: :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

Not you either, you're not australian.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:

We do need to look at other options I just can't see it happening now we have to go through play offs.