The road to Moscow

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Re: The road to Moscow

Post by Grosso »

Looks like the road to Moscow just got a lot longer. It may take a detour via North Korea and central America.

good luck :lol:

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Stuckey wrote:Socceroos Vs Kruse.
How that bloke got 90 mins is beyond me. Any time the ball went near him that was the end of the attack. He must he played himself offside about 5 times.
I know beggars can't be choosers but surely offering players that aren't playing at all for their clubs isn't the best idea. He looked stuffs 15 mins in, why take Leckie off and leave a knackered Kruse on?

We definitely missed Juric's presence up front.

Lucky to get a point in the end.
Leckie is another player without club game time and yet gets to play most of the game and is also out of form - why play him ???

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

churchill wrote:
How that bloke got 90 mins is beyond me. Any time the ball went near him that was the end of the attack. He must he played himself offside about 5 times.
I know beggars can't be choosers but surely offering players that aren't playing at all for their clubs isn't the best idea. He looked stuffs 15 mins in, why take Leckie off and leave a knackered Kruse on?

Leckie is another player without club game time and yet gets to play most of the game and is also out of form - why play him ???
I think he is a regular at FC Ingolstadt 04 in the Bundesliga but still was hopeless last night. The one I think is very over-rated is Rogic. He does the nice bit of trickery and pass now and then but continually loses the ball.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I await someone saying that a draw away to Thailand is a good result

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Disappointing result.

I think the Thai's played out of their skins with respect for their recently passed king - however we should be knocking them over without much trouble.

With our Striker problems we are going to need Cahill to play into his fourties.
It's all in the Delivery!

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote:I await someone saying that a draw away to Thailand is a good result
Just better than a loss. Just.

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Brian the Postman wrote:Disappointing result.

I think the Thai's played out of their skins with respect for their recently passed king - however we should be knocking them over without much trouble.

With our Striker problems we are going to need Cahill to play into his fourties.
It looked like Cahill was coaching the Thai's on the sidelines - the Thai coach had a strong resemblance to Cahill and was just as enthusiastic !

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Embarrassing result 'Mr Impostercoglou'

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

scar wrote:

Hopefully this is a bit of a wake up call to Ange, he can't just play his favourites regularly while other players getting far more regular game time miss out. Kruse has played 2 German Cup games this season (starting only 1 of those), Goodwin has played 11 Eredivisie games and scored 3 goals.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I rate Mooy and he has been good for Australia and doing well in England

However he was truly shocking last night, only got 90 minutes as we had 5 or 6 shocking performances last night - even so I would have dragged him before Leckie
Are you Bodo in disguise?

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Knight15 wrote:I rate Mooy and he has been good for Australia and doing well in England

However he was truly shocking last night, only got 90 minutes as we had 5 or 6 shocking performances last night - even so I would have dragged him before Leckie
yeah he looked lethargic, his passing was terrible and got worse as the game went on. However the worst for me was Kruse. He played like someone who had all the skills and ability, yet had no idea what to do with it. I don't think we deserved to win, but if he managed to actually find a team mate with any of his 20 or so entries into the attacking 3rd, it could have been a different story. He wasted every single attack he was involved in

We were lucky to even get the draw in the end, its not often the whole team looks so out of sorts and manages to still get a point

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

churchill wrote:

It looked like Cahill was coaching the Thai's on the sidelines - the Thai coach had a strong resemblance to Cahill and was just as enthusiastic !
I was thinking the same thing, Timmy Haircut circa 2013!
It's all in the Delivery!

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Con M wrote:No comments by dear Erica or Stitch That. Way past their bedtime to stay up and watch our National Team play live on TV.
Like so many of the senile old twats on here, you assume far too much. My going rate is normally $100 an hour, so the Socceroos currently owe me $150 for wasting my time.

Is it my fault if that they have decided to take their inspiration from the Australian cricket team?
Time for some righteous indignation

Vernon Howell
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Vernon Howell »

champagne wrote:No comments by dear Erica or Stitch That. Way past their bedtime to stay up and watch our National Team play live on TV.
Neither have logged on since then. For what it's worth, it was past my bedtime. Not everyone works nine to five.
Last edited by Vernon Howell on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
As close to jesus as you're likely to get

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Everyone apart from keeper and Burns when he came on were well below form, but credit to the Thai's, they showed that direct football can still be effective.

Rogic has a heart the size of a pea, Kruse I just wanted to shoot every time he came near the ball, Mooy was like he was on drugs and the rest were just struggling.

Given the context of the game, a point is disappointing but we were lucky to even get that.

Bring back Timmy - simple
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stitch This wrote:
Con M wrote:No comments by dear Erica or Stitch That. Way past their bedtime to stay up and watch our National Team play live on TV.
Like so many of the senile old twats on here, you assume far too much. My going rate is normally $100 an hour, so the Socceroos currently owe me $150 for wasting my time.

Is it my fault if that they have decided to take their inspiration from the Australian cricket team?
What a pathetic ageist comment, Stitch That. And your patriotism in nearly staying up to watch our National Team overwhelmes me.

Now, what did you think of Ryan's comments about his sacking from the squad by text in his 13 Nov radio interview and the CoastFM Panellists' amazement at that method of communication?
Last edited by Con M on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

God is an Englishman wrote:I await someone saying that a draw away to Thailand is a good result
Good result, away to a team in the middle of the tropics when most of our players play in winter its a great result... :D :wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Baresi wrote:
Good result, away to a team in the middle of the tropics when most of our players play in winter its a great result... :D :wink:
:lol:

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Mooy and Kruse were the worst of a bad bunch for me. We just kept giving the ball back to them way to easily. I was impressed with Thailand they deserved to win - IMO they should give them the $400K win bonus, they were playing for. We now 4-5 months to sort this out some tough and honest questions need to be asked about a few players and the way got to where we played like that last night. We will need to play in Asia again, so we need to be properly prepared. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and some changes will be made for next time.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

is that a technical term?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The only players who demonstrated any desire to win the game were the substtitutes, the rest were a disgrace to their profession.

Rogic did appear to be trying early on but faded very quickly, only coming back to life in the last 15-20 minutes - no wonder he's stuck in the Scottish Premier League and not interesting any EPL or Continental clubs.

It was not hard to see why Leckie, Kruse, Ryan and Smith are not getting regular time with their respective clubs, they are just not up to it.

Mooey was shocking and looked uninterested and gave the ball away many times more than he gave it to a team mate. No wonder Man City appear to lost interest in him for next season.

The defence was terrible, couldn't tackle, couldn't mark an opponent, couldn't pass, couldn't run and couldn't decide what to do and when to do it.

I thought Burns at least tried to get things moving, to little real impact, when he came on and should have started, with McClaren on the bench as he was completely out of his depth, again.

Thank heaven Jedinak had his penalty taking boots laced up tight, as he was pretty average for most of the game, demonstrating why he dropped down to the Championship.

All in all one for the forgettable file - come back Timmy, we really do depend on you to score goals for us. :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

We? You're not even Australian.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

scar wrote:

you can blame the coach all you want but this is the reality of the trajectory of Australian soccer generally

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

God is an Englishman wrote:We? You're not even Australian.
I wasn't born here, but refer to them as 'we'

Have been to the last 3 world cups, to watch them and was at the Asian Cup Final

Change your life, stop whingeing and embrace the country that is now your home :D
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Knight15 wrote:

Have been to the last 3 world cups, to watch them and was at the Asian Cup Final

Change your life, stop whingeing and embrace the country that is now your home :D

Agree 100%.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Not the most accurate use of statistics but they raise the point of why some players are getting regular sooceroos time without regular club time.

http://outside90.com/revealed-if-the-so ... ying-time/

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knight15 wrote:

Well then you're not Australian either then.

It's whingeing to not be Australian now.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Knight15 wrote:

Agree 100%.
You can agree all you want, you're still not Australian.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bangkok: Ange Postecoglou issued an ominous warning for several members of the Socceroos team that failed to beat Thailand, telling them to use the four-month break between international games to sort out their club futures if they're to remain in the squad.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ange ... sqtuq.html

I don't like this comment from Ange. I feel its basically telling players their spots are still their's to lose. The message should be: "if you're playing you'll get a call up. If you're not you won't". I don't get why players like Kruse need to be put on notice. Like they weren't aware playing 75 mins of football in 4 months is bad.
IMO this was a judgement call from Ange that he got wrong. I think he didn't expect so much from Thailand and thought this would be a good chance to give players like Kruse and Smith another opportunity to get game time, in the hope that gets them back in the fray with their clubs as both of their clubs play at a high level.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

what makes it even worse is none of the Thai players had played football for a month since their league got cancelled