Young Socceroos - U20s

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Young Socceroos - U20s

Post by ozzie owl »

Some interesting comments from Les Murray on the topic.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/201 ... generation

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

ozzie owl wrote:Some interesting comments from Les Murray on the topic.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/201 ... generation
He does make some good points and things raised before.
France re-newed their footballing culture in the late 80's early 90's. They won the World Cup in 1998. But France didn't totally re-new their club system like the A-league or J-league did.
The NSL had a direct youth development pathway. The HAL still doesn't totally. WSW now has one but few other HAL clubs have a junior to first team pathway. Once we get back to that and federations/other interested parties stop blocking HAL clubs from doing so youth development will improve. If the FFA re-directed funds from the Centre of "Excellence" towards HAL clubs development sides maybe we would be getting somewhere.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Children today have much different home lives and out-side influences compared to the past. So I think that has an impact.

You can have the best coaches and set ups in the world but in the end that's only part of the equation.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Mr Red wrote:Children today have much different home lives and out-side influences compared to the past. So I think that has an impact.

You can have the best coaches and set ups in the world but in the end that's only part of the equation.
Of course. Although those influences Okon and Les are talking about are prevalent in many countries so I don't see that as an Australian problem.
Society has shifted significantly as technology has significantly changed. Humans are naturally reactionary and it's only once the problem is at crisis point are we going to see action taken. But placing controls and restrictions on people's recreation/leisure time is a extremely difficult thing to enforce.
I think we need to see a shift from governments on this. Instead of feeding sick people drugs and looking at more and more ways to treats health issues. We need to look at lifestyle choices that create these health issues. I think creating a mandatory exercise program for communities (especially youth) would fix a number of health issues that the community faces. I think it would also reduce crime and improve community engagement. Social capital is a hard thing to quantify but its clear community sport is a key element of accruing social capital.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Mr Red wrote:Children today have much different home lives and out-side influences compared to the past. So I think that has an impact.

because Australia is the only country in the world with X-boxes?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Stuckey wrote:

Of course. Although those influences Okon and Les are talking about are prevalent in many countries so I don't see that as an Australian problem.
Society has shifted significantly as technology has significantly changed. Humans are naturally reactionary and it's only once the problem is at crisis point are we going to see action taken. But placing controls and restrictions on people's recreation/leisure time is a extremely difficult thing to enforce.
I think we need to see a shift from governments on this. Instead of feeding sick people drugs and looking at more and more ways to treats health issues. We need to look at lifestyle choices that create these health issues. I think creating a mandatory exercise program for communities (especially youth) would fix a number of health issues that the community faces. I think it would also reduce crime and improve community engagement. Social capital is a hard thing to quantify but its clear community sport is a key element of accruing social capital.

Stuckey for Prime Minister!

Couldn't do any worse than Turncoat and Bill the Brainless.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Stuckey for Prime Minister!

Couldn't do any worse than Turncoat and Bill the Brainless.
Haha thanks mate. I'll have to work on my used car-salesperson smile before I nominate myself.

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

Stuckey wrote:I think creating a mandatory exercise program for communities (especially youth) would fix a number of health issues that the community faces. I think it would also reduce crime and improve community engagement. Social capital is a hard thing to quantify but its clear community sport is a key element of accruing social capital.
It worked well the last time they tried it :P

Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Mad_Max wrote:
Stuckey wrote:I think creating a mandatory exercise program for communities (especially youth) would fix a number of health issues that the community faces. I think it would also reduce crime and improve community engagement. Social capital is a hard thing to quantify but its clear community sport is a key element of accruing social capital.
It worked well the last time they tried it :P

Well we'll leave the gas chambers out of this vision.