Jurić’s proud message sparks unwarranted response

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Jurić’s proud message sparks unwarranted response

Post by Stuckey »

Stretching his long legs to latch onto a swerving pinpoint cross from teammate Mathew Leckie, Tomi Jurić half volleyed past Omani goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi as Australia extended their already commanding lead in their Asian Cup group stage clash. Jurić, a proud Australian of Croatian heritage, then lifted up his shirt to reveal a touching and heartfelt slogan underneath: “Mum, Dad, Brother”.
http://footballcentral.com.au/jurics-pr ... LcFMCuUevg

Great read. Really brings to the surface whether many people can handle ethnic named clubs etc.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Jurić’s proud message sparks unwarranted response

Post by Black_Panther »

I didn't realise there was any response to his message on his shirt written in the language of another country.

I certainly didn't feel offended.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

Just learn to speak English like the rest of us.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

I am certainly not offended by it but I did wonder what people from other countries would think about it - given it is an international tournament.
It is a bit odd really, a player playing for Australia displaying an obviously heartfelt message in another language.
It's not like he's adopted a new country - like Eduardo or something.
I think he was born in western Sydney wasn't he?
He should have written it in Australian. :wink:

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

So where are all these unwarranted responses? i shouldn't have to search for them, if they are worthy of a journalistic peice then surely I would have seen or heard them by now

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

BPBC wrote:So where are all these unwarranted responses? i shouldn't have to search for them, if they are worthy of a journalistic peice then surely I would have seen or heard them by now
Go to Andy's twitter account if you are interested in seeing them.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Being proud of his heritage is good.

But knowing the Laws of the Game is good too.

Laws Board IFAB banned ALL political, religious & PERSONAL slogans/statements on undershirts.

The referee erred in not booking him for it.

And obviously Juric doesn't care what mainstream Aussies who speak/read English made of it.

ps, admin or Moderators: please move this post to the appropriate forum.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Australia has no official language, we're a country made up of many different backgrounds.
He can use whatever language he wants!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:Being proud of his heritage is good.

Laws Board IFAB banned ALL political, religious & PERSONAL slogans/statements on undershirts.

And obviously Juric doesn't care what mainstream Aussies who speak/read English made of it.

I put it hear because I presumed the topic would get back to ethnic club names.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:

Dunno, Stuckey. This forum is for Local SA & A-League stuff.

You're drawing a long bow. This Juric controversy belongs in the Australian National Team forum.

admin or Moderators - do your thing...

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

You're drawing a long bow. This Juric controversy belongs in the Australian National Team forum.

As per usual Con is on the pulse of the critical issues of the day! :lol:

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

What everyone is failing to understand and realise here is that this is what he calls his parents and brother.

To him, it's not saying it in another language. It's like you celebrating and revealing "Hi Nan" on your top, and offending someone because you didn't say "Grandmother".

Get over it.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Ethnics not integrating into Aussie society again :roll:

Juric should be deported back to where he came from
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

El Paso del Norte wrote:Ethnics not integrating into Aussie society again :roll:

If he's from western Sydney it may be more humane to send him to Iraq.....
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Stuckey wrote:
BPBC wrote:So where are all these unwarranted responses? i shouldn't have to search for them, if they are worthy of a journalistic peice then surely I would have seen or heard them by now
Stuckey, i dont know who Andy is, im not on Twitter, and I really dont have any interest in reading the comments. I really had no idea there was an issue until I read that article. Its basically the equivelant of me walking into a strangers house, hearing some racist/homophobe/bigoted comments then going home and writing a internet article on it.

comments like this:

Why would that same player want to come to a league where a fellow professional (and an Australian, no less) is abused and castigated for writing a three word message in his family’s predominant language.

Really give me the absolute sh!ts. What complete and utter hyperbole. If it was just on his twitter account, then most likely any player looking at coming here would have been none the wiser. Social media is full of idiots with idiotic comments, he just gave them another platform

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

El Paso del Norte wrote:Ethnics not integrating into Aussie society again :roll:

Exactly my point, some dimwit said something on Twitter now its an Aussie society thing

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Lucas Leiva wrote:What everyone is failing to understand and realise here is that this is what he calls his parents and brother.

To him, it's not saying it in another language. It's like you celebrating and revealing "Hi Nan" on your top, and offending someone because you didn't say "Grandmother".

Get over it.
Who's everyone?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

BPBC wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Stuckey, i dont know who Andy is, im not on Twitter, and I really dont have any interest in reading the comments. I really had no idea there was an issue until I read that article. Its basically the equivelant of me walking into a strangers house, hearing some racist/homophobe/bigoted comments then going home and writing a internet article on it.

comments like this:

Why would that same player want to come to a league where a fellow professional (and an Australian, no less) is abused and castigated for writing a three word message in his family’s predominant language.

Really give me the absolute sh!ts. What complete and utter hyperbole. If it was just on his twitter account, then most likely any player looking at coming here would have been none the wiser. Social media is full of idiots with idiotic comments, he just gave them another platform
Andy is the author of the article.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

As per usual Con is on the pulse of the critical issues of the day! :lol:[/quote]

Stuckup, this professional Tomislav Juric clearly hasn't kept up with the Laws of the Game. I repeat - our sport is governed by ONE Laws of the Game Board, rightly or wrongly. No political, religious or PERSONAL slogans/messages on undershirts. What part of that English is difficult to understand?

Before my acquaintances from Gepps Cross Croatia Raiders get too upset, I'd say the same if an Australian of Greek or Italian heritage did something similar.

ps, Stuckup - don't you care about the mainstream Aussies our sport is trying to attract? Many in that national TV audience on Tuesday night would have been non-plussed by one of their National Team's player's simplistic actions.

pps, Stuckup - how is your campaign for the removal of players' names on shirts around the World goin'?

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I was just talking about you're issue with the topic being in the wrong forum.

He would know he's not supposed to display what he did.

PS I have no campaign to remove names on player's backs, my campaign to purely to stir you up and I feel its going quite well! :lol:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:I was just talking about you're issue with the topic being in the wrong forum.

PS I have no campaign to remove names on player's backs, my campaign to purely to stir you up and I feel its going quite well! :lol:
In other words, pitiful trolling/fishing NOC-style. I would have put that beneath you, given some of your reasonable posts, Stuckup. Do try not to go down the path of the likes of God Isn't An Englishman, Stitch That et al.

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

Stitch That hasn't posted on here for over two years.
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:I was just talking about you're issue with the topic being in the wrong forum.

In other words, pitiful trolling/fishing NOC-style. I would have put that beneath you, given some of your reasonable posts, Stuckup. Do try not to go down the path of the likes of God Isn't An Englishman, Stitch That et al.
You don't know how low I can sink! :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lucas Leiva wrote:What everyone is failing to understand and realise here is that this is what he calls his parents and brother.

Get over it.
Winner!
Ignore this signature

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Get over it.
Can't win - he doesn't score he'll cop flak for being shiete, does score and does a nice gesture to his immediate family and the "Aussies" give him flak...some people need to get a life. :idea:

I don't recall after his debut game and goal for AU, while being interviewd on Fox Sports copping any flak for wishing his Grandmother Kate a happy birthday in Croatian - even the panel back in the studio had a chuckle and no problem translating it. :wink:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

General Tony Cash wrote:

Get over it.
Can't win - he doesn't score he'll cop flak for being shiete, does score and does a nice gesture to his immediate family and the "Aussies" give him flak...some people need to get a life. :idea:

I don't recall after his debut game and goal for AU, while being interviewd on Fox Sports copping any flak for wishing his Grandmother Kate a happy birthday in Croatian - even the panel back in the studio had a chuckle and no problem translating it. :wink:
An AUFC player could decapitate himself on the crossbar and unless the game was against Sydney or MV most of the country wouldn't be aware of it.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

astonvilla91 wrote:Australia has no official language, we're a country made up of many different backgrounds.
He can use whatever language he wants!
No official language? WTF?

Anyway the PC Brigade are going overtime if they are offended in anyway

Great goal and nice touch
Are you Bodo in disguise?

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

Get over it.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I thought it was a nice little message(speaking the language myself),although i guess the rules must be followed through-so he was lucky not to get booked.