Australia vs Oman

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Australia vs Oman

Post by Prestoz »

My line up would be:

----------------Cahill-----------------
Oar----------------------------Leckie
----------Troisi-------Longo----------
----------------Milligan---------------
Behich-Spiranovic-Sainsbury-Anyone just not Franjic
-----------------Ryan------------------

Bench: Kruse, Wilkinson, Bresciano, Juric, Burns

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Australia vs Oman

Post by Bomber »

2-0 win would be nice.
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Prestoz wrote:My line up would be:

----------------Cahill-----------------
Oar----------------------------Leckie
----------Troisi-------Longo----------
----------------Milligan---------------
Behich-Spiranovic-Sainsbury-Anyone just not Franjic
-----------------Ryan------------------

Bench: Kruse, Wilkinson, Bresciano, Juric, Burns
Any other speedster, but not Oar.

Oar sprays his passes, sprays his shots & can't clear the first defender with free-kicks from the flanks.

Oar is Ange's blind spot. If he didn't have that left foot he'd be nowhere near that team.

Still, in making the above observation I hope be proves me utterly wrong & scores the winner if he is selected.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Would rather play Herd than Milligan.

Oar should get a run so that we can make the most use of Cahill's strengths.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Great 4-0 win.

manny
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manny »

up there with the most dominant I've ever seen the socceroos

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

yes great game tonight, will get another 50,000 Saturday night.

not bad will be 125,000 fans watching the Socceroos in 8 days.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Con M wrote:Any other speedster, but not Oar.

Oar sprays his passes, sprays his shots & can't clear the first defender with free-kicks from the flanks.

Oar is Ange's blind spot. If he didn't have that left foot he'd be nowhere near that team.

Still, in making the above observation I hope be proves me utterly wrong & scores the winner if he is selected.
You must have been rapt with the easy to read names on the back of the Omani shirts
Black_Panther wrote:Would rather play Herd than Milligan.
Why would you play an injured player?
Time for some righteous indignation

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

I'm glad ange picks the team :mrgreen:

Was at the game. Most enjoyable game I've been at since Uruguay 2005

Luongo excellent again

Not at all surprised how Australia are going. Hopefully they are up for the test against the tougher teams. I believe they will be

Lots of young players too. Cmon ozzy

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stitch This wrote:

You must have been rapt with the easy to read names on the back of the Omani shirts
Black_Panther wrote:Would rather play Herd than Milligan.
Why would you play an injured player?
Isn't Herd in the squad?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Black_Panther wrote:Isn't Herd in the squad?
Injured at training on Monday.

You must be Stuckey in disguise.

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

As Harvey Keitel (The Wolf) said in Pulp Fiction:
"Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"
Kuwait and Oman are ordinary teams and it should be an EXPECTATION that Australia smash them.
Let's start getting excited when we top the group and set up a route to a final against Japan.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Prestoz wrote:As Harvey Keitel (The Wolf) said in Pulp Fiction:
Kuwait and Oman are ordinary teams and it should be an EXPECTATION that Australia smash them.
Let's start getting excited when we top the group and set up a route to a final against Japan.
How did Korea go against them?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stitch This wrote:

Ha, ha. Nice fishing, Stitch That. How's your campaign going for getting the EPL, many Leagues around the World, UEFA and World Cup & other tournaments to dispense with players' names on shirts?

Back to the game - great performance by our National Team and one of the best games I've seen Kruse play. Leckie too. I was glad Davidson was re-included @ left-back and wish Burns had been given a brief run instead of Oar.

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Prestoz wrote:As Harvey Keitel (The Wolf) said in Pulp Fiction:
Excited because less than 2 years ago we couldn't even beat the same team. We are clearly getting much better so we have reason to be happy. You are right we should expect to smash those teams, just that for a long time now we really didn't have reason to expect it. Things seem to be progressing well, and hopefully we continue to get better. Be nice to see Ange prove the doubters wrong

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Really looking forward to Saturday nights game, will be the big test. The interest from the non Football public is certainly growing, very impressed with how well we played given the changes - hard job now for Ange to pick his best 11, McKay really surprised me, thought he had a very good game - Davidson and Milligan were also good inclusions would be almost as big as qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 32 years if we took the title - full house v Japan, great atmosphere etc
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The hunger, the application, the speed was all very good. Hopefully we haven't peaked too early, but the signs are pretty good so far and Ange seems to be rotating team fairly well.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Knight15 wrote:Really looking forward to Saturday nights game, will be the big test. The interest from the non Football public is certainly growing, very impressed with how well we played given the changes - hard job now for Ange to pick his best 11, McKay really surprised me, thought he had a very good game - Davidson and Milligan were also good inclusions would be almost as big as qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 32 years if we took the title - full house v Japan, great atmosphere etc
Definitely looking forward to the Saturday night game.

Anyone else pick up that too often Leckie's first touch is poor?

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

Con M wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

Ha, ha. Nice fishing, Stitch That. How's your campaign going for getting the EPL, many Leagues around the World, UEFA and World Cup & other tournaments to dispense with players' names on shirts?

Back to the game - great performance by our National Team and one of the best games I've seen Kruse play. Leckie too. I was glad Davidson was re-included @ left-back and wish Burns had been given a brief run instead of Oar.

leckie?? ok he runs at players well and has an excellent work rate but he cant cross (or to a lesser extent pass) to save his life.. so many missed opportunities in the first half alone with exceptionally poor crossing

well done to a great team performance from Australia.. cant ask for more
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Kosta Utd wrote:leckie??..... but he cant cross (or to a lesser extent pass) to save his life..
tomi Juric wrote:hi

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

Whilst they both played pretty well, neither Leckie or Kruse is a winger.
Being a good forward and playing in one of the wide positions in a front 3 doesn't automatically make you a winger.
Neither of them seem to be aware of the requirements of wing play.
Of course I am assuming that AP wants them to play as "wingers" not simply forwards in a wide position.
But neither of them consistently get quality crosses in - despite that our aerial strength is a major asset through Cahill/Juric.
Leckie is super quick and dangerous but he can barely kick with his left foot and clearly doesn't instinctively know where the goal is.
Not saying he isn't a good player and not valuable - but he's definitely not a winger.
I am slightly surprised Oar has not been used more, given our aerial strength and his ability to provide quality crosses from the left, and his natural abilities as a winger.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Prestoz wrote:Whilst they both played pretty well, neither Leckie or Kruse is a winger.
Being a good forward and playing in one of the wide positions in a front 3 doesn't automatically make you a winger.
Of course I am assuming that AP wants them to play as "wingers" not simply forwards in a wide position.
But neither of them consistently get quality crosses in - despite that our aerial strength is a major asset through Cahill/Juric.
Leckie is super quick and dangerous but he can barely kick with his left foot and clearly doesn't instinctively know where the goal is.
Not saying he isn't a good player and not valuable - but he's definitely not a winger.
I am slightly surprised Oar has not been used more, given our aerial strength and his ability to provide quality crosses from the left, and his natural abilities as a winger.
I'll pass your comments on to Ange, I'm sure we'll see them dropped for the next game.

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

:lol: I'm sure we will
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Kostaki, yes Leckie's poor first touch reminds me of our media star with the instant first touch, Bruce Djite. But Leckie did improvise, using the outside of his right foot for the cross to that Australian-of-Croatian-heritage (Juric) to score the 4th.

Prestoz, think back on his past performances. Oar's crosses & free-kicks from the left generally don't clear the first defender & his shots & crosses are usually sprayed. For mine Burns should have got a cameo run ahead of Oar.

Stich That, still silent on your campaign to dispense with players' names on shirts? Why oh why don't the Euro, South American, African & Asian Confederations & their member Associations take heed of your campaign?

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

Stitch This wrote:
Prestoz wrote:Whilst they both played pretty well, neither Leckie or Kruse is a winger.
I'll pass your comments on to Ange, I'm sure we'll see them dropped for the next game.
So people can't express their opinion on a public commons without mockery and sarcasm in return?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Prestoz wrote:
Stitch This wrote:
So people can't express their opinion on a public commons without mockery and sarcasm in return?
You are free to express your opinion.

If I think your opinion is total bollocks, then likewise I'm allowed to express mine.

Wise up, kid :P

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I think Ange is proving that his approach has been spot in in the pre-competition games.

He has cast his net wide (not as far as SA though) and tested anyone who looked promising and selected the players he thought could play his system the best and has, in my opinion, done a pretty good job of it so far.

We have soundly outplayed and beaten two teams we couldn't match this time last year and for the first time in many years taken possession of the game and controlled it.

Instead of huffing and puffing to no avail and being totally dependent on Timmy Cahill for goals we now have a team that can play football and adapt itself to the flow of the game before it gets away from us.
Most importantly we have uncovered a new "Star Player" in Massimo Luongo and the rest of team are riding along on the wave.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

So people can't express their opinion on a public commons without mockery and sarcasm in return?[/quote]

If I think your opinion is total bollocks, then likewise I'm allowed to express mine.

Wise up, kid :P[/quote]

Saying my opinion is bollocks is not expressing much of an opinion - in my opinion. :wink:

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Prestoz wrote:So people can't express their opinion on a public commons without mockery and sarcasm in return?

Wise up, kid :P[/quote]

Saying my opinion is bollocks is not expressing much of an opinion - in my opinion. :wink:[/quote]

How about complete bollocks?
Are you Bodo in disguise?