Good crowds in Asian Cup

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Good crowds in Asian Cup

Post by adelaidebloke »

Socceroos game sold out
3 games today all had over 12,000 people. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Good crowds in Asian Cup

Post by ozzie owl »

Ticket sales ahead of budget , so organisers must be happy.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lucky they didnt have any games here then. :wink:
Ignore this signature

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Yes, I also think they're respectable (though not great) crowds.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Bomber wrote:Lucky they didnt have any games here then. :wink:
Agreed it might be because we have been starved of the Socceroos for so long but they don't resonate in SA - people are more interested in local league publicity etc

And an away trip to Sydney and Brisbane is always more fun
Are you Bodo in disguise?

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

close to 40,000 tickets sold for oman game Tuesday night.

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

adelaidebloke wrote:close to 40,000 tickets sold for oman game Tuesday night.
Should have been played at Hindmarsh.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Mad_Max wrote:
Failing that, we have Burton
Ignore this signature

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

over 500,000 have attended at 17,000 per game

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Fantastic crowds well ahead of budget already, pity our semi v UAE wasn't in Sydney I am sure we would have has almost full house at Stadium Australia.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Bomber wrote:
Mad_Max wrote:
Failing that, we have Burton
Or oakden
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

ozzie owl wrote:Fantastic crowds well ahead of budget already, pity our semi v UAE wasn't in Sydney I am sure we would have has almost full house at Stadium Australia.
I heard people saying 'Oh you can't move games during the tournament just to get better crowds.'

Why not? If you're going to possibly get 50k more people attending.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

21,000 at Newcastle - some kind of joke obviously.
Time for some righteous indignation

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Stuckey wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Fantastic crowds well ahead of budget already, pity our semi v UAE wasn't in Sydney I am sure we would have has almost full house at Stadium Australia.
I heard people saying 'Oh you can't move games during the tournament just to get better crowds.cheap and nasty

More involved than simply moving a game away and it wouldn't be easy on such short notice. Only people to blame for this are the team who didn't get the job done on the pitch. But that's how it goes sometimes.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Juventino wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
I heard people saying 'Oh you can't move games during the tournament just to get better crowds.cheap and nasty

More involved than simply moving a game away and it wouldn't be easy on such short notice. Only people to blame for this are the team who didn't get the job done on the pitch. But that's how it goes sometimes.
But betting on us winning the group when Korea are involved is silly. Surely a semi at Brisbane would have been the way to go.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Nope. There is historic precedence when the World Cup was held in the Old Dart. England didn't hesitate to move their World Cup Semi-Final against Portugal to Wembley. The USSR versus West Germany Semi-Final, originally scheduled for Wembley, was sent away from London to some provincial city. And FIFA went along for the ride.

IMO the organizers gave up too easily here. They should have swooped as soon as they realized it was going to be OZ versus Japan or UAE in the semi.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Con M wrote:Nope. There is historic precedence when the World Cup was held in the Old Dart. England didn't hesitate to move their World Cup Semi-Final against Portugal to Wembley. The USSR versus West Germany Semi-Final, originally scheduled for Wembley, was sent away from London to some provincial city. And FIFA went along for the ride.

IMO the organizers gave up too easily here. They should have swooped as soon as they realized it was going to be OZ versus Japan or UAE in the semi.
And at the 1966 World Cup you could walk up to the stadium on matchday and buy a ticket. Things have changed.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Those claiming that crowds would not turn up in the same numbers if the Labor government had been bothered to make a bid and been granted games at Hindmarsh clearly don't remember the Sydney Olympics.

Every game was a sell out and despite the Labor party, which opposed the rebuild of Hindmarsh and the staging of the Olympics Football in SA, taking two thousand five hundred tickets to give out to their cronies, averaged over 18,500 attendances.

The money brought into SA by the Olympic Football and the warm up games prior to the tournament more than covered the entire cost of the rebuild of Hindmarsh.

Angry over being proved wrong the Labor party then embarked on a program to discredit Hindmarsh and eventually forced the SASF to hand over full control of the stadium to the Dept of Rec & Sport.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:Those claiming that crowds would not turn up in the same numbers if the Labor government had been bothered to make a bid and been granted games at Hindmarsh clearly don't remember the Sydney Olympics.

Every game was a sell out and despite the Labor party, which opposed the rebuild of Hindmarsh and the staging of the Olympics Football in SA, taking two thousand five hundred tickets to give out to their cronies, averaged over 18,500 attendances.

The money brought into SA by the Olympic Football and the warm up games prior to the tournament more than covered the entire cost of the rebuild of Hindmarsh.

Angry over being proved wrong the Labor party then embarked on a program to discredit Hindmarsh and eventually forced the SASF to hand over full control of the stadium to the Dept of Rec & Sport.
Could the SASF afford to keep it?