That old chestnut..performance or results - Craig Moore

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Re: That old chestnut..performance or results - Craig Moore

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:The results are poor, surely that can't be disputed.

There is no indication that we are getting better. The big push behind Ange was that he would be able to implement a more effective attacking team (we still don't look like scoring without putting high balls into the box for Cahill to get onto the end of).

The last 2 games of the Osieck era were against 2 top 10 (Brazil & France) teams where he did try and experiment and change things around. It wasn't like they were games against Ecuador or Oman.

If we were a more football focused country he would be under a hell of a lot more pressure than what he is. As coach he is the one who can make and implement the necessary changes. I really do hope that he is building a foundation to a more successful future but the signs aren't there.
Why are you looking at such term periods? Who cares about getting pumped by Brazil and France in nothing games when the squad struggled thru a WC qualification we should have cruised thru.
As I said that period under Holger saw very little in the way of blooding youth. If you exclude the EAFF championship and one friendly against South Korea there was next to no development players given a run.
Funny you should mention Oman, In the 2014 WC qualifying we only drew with them home and away and if it was a two leg situation we would have lost on away goals.
Clearly you're very passionate about this but as I have pointed out you haven't mentioned at all how you would go about things differently. It very easy to look at bad results and say they're bad. But watch actually needs to change?
As I've said I'm not happy with the results either but no one can patch up 3 and a half years of neglect in 10 sporadically played games.
Who did the following make their debut under?

- Spiranovic
- Rogic
- Kruse

Do you consider these players not to be development players?

I say that I don't see a change because we still don't look dangerous going forward unless we are slinging balls into the box for Cahill to get onto the end of. It's not the plan B at the moment, because the other plan is failing so much that it can't even be considered to be a plan A!

I saw Ange on the shootout last night and again he is very passionate about Australia doing well however there isn't any end product at the moment, how long do you give him? How low should we go in the rankings before it is considered not good enough?

Changes had to be made there is no argument on that & my preference was for an Aussie coach as well (the 2nd and 3rd rate foreign ones weren't really worth the effort anymore) however regardless of his passport the National Team Manager needs to be held accountable for results. He has the right to implement his philosophy (I know you love that word) however it needs to be shown that it can get the necessary results.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Why are you looking at such term periods? Who cares about getting pumped by Brazil and France in nothing games when the squad struggled thru a WC qualification we should have cruised thru.
As I said that period under Holger saw very little in the way of blooding youth. If you exclude the EAFF championship and one friendly against South Korea there was next to no development players given a run.
Funny you should mention Oman, In the 2014 WC qualifying we only drew with them home and away and if it was a two leg situation we would have lost on away goals.
Clearly you're very passionate about this but as I have pointed out you haven't mentioned at all how you would go about things differently. It very easy to look at bad results and say they're bad. But watch actually needs to change?
As I've said I'm not happy with the results either but no one can patch up 3 and a half years of neglect in 10 sporadically played games.

- Spiranovic
- Rogic
- Kruse

I say that I don't see a change because we still don't look dangerous going forward unless we are slinging balls into the box for Cahill to get onto the end of. It's not the plan B at the moment, because the other plan is failing so much that it can't even be considered to be a plan A!

I saw Ange on the shootout last night and again he is very passionate about Australia doing well however there isn't any end product at the moment, how long do you give him? How low should we go in the rankings before it is considered not good enough?

Changes had to be made there is no argument on that & my preference was for an Aussie coach as well (the 2nd and 3rd rate foreign ones weren't really worth the effort anymore) however regardless of his passport the National Team Manager needs to be held accountable for results. He has the right to implement his philosophy (I know you love that word) however it needs to be shown that it can get the necessary results.
3 players in 3 and a half years wow!

You really don't want to answer my question do you?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Why are you looking at such term periods? Who cares about getting pumped by Brazil and France in nothing games when the squad struggled thru a WC qualification we should have cruised thru.

- Spiranovic
- Rogic
- Kruse

3 players in 3 and a half years wow!

You really don't want to answer my question do you?
What is your question?

The 3 players were off the top of my head and I term them development players because their form didn't merit their inclusion in the Socceroos but probably their potential did. There were probably many others that were introduced that didn't hold down a spot.

The other issue is the timing of appointment, Ange would probably be more results focussed if he had to qualify for something or be held accountable for failure (I do appreciate that).
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

My question has been, since you are so critical of what Ange is doing, what would you do differently to him to get results in this transitional period for the national team?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:My question has been, since you are so critical of what Ange is doing, what would you do differently to him to get results in this transitional period for the national team?
They have to develop a winning mentality. The team is accepting defeat, no matter the soundbytes from coaches and players you can see it on the park and in the results.

There has to be a pride in the shirt and what it means. I know a lot of you guys hate the Australian and socceroos spirit but they need to start grinding out results and playing to the final whistle.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:My question has been, since you are so critical of what Ange is doing, what would you do differently to him to get results in this transitional period for the national team?
They have to develop a winning mentality. The team is accepting defeat, no matter the soundbytes from coaches and players you can see it on the park and in the results.

There has to be a pride in the shirt and what it means. I know a lot of you guys hate the Australian and socceroos spirit but they need to start grinding out results and playing to the final whistle.
And how do they do that?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

And how do they do that?
How long is a piece of string?

Temporary Resident
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Temporary Resident »

Black_Panther wrote:How long is a piece of string?
The distance from one end to the other when placed in a straight line.
My days here are numbered

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Temporary Resident wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:How long is a piece of string?
The distance from one end to the other when placed in a straight line.
What's the distance?

Temporary Resident
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Temporary Resident »

About that much
My days here are numbered

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

And how do they do that?

Basically Stuckey, that is for Ange to carry out and execute - he is the man in the job and he is accountable for the performance of the team.

After all he is the manager.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

And how do they do that?

Basically Stuckey, that is for Ange to carry out and execute - he is the man in the job and he is accountable for the performance of the team.

So after all your criticism you're saying Ange needs to just do what he's doing. But win. Insightful.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:And how do they do that?

So after all your criticism you're saying Ange needs to just do what he's doing. But win. Insightful.
Well what do you think he should do?

Are the results acceptable to you?

How long should he remain in the job whilst he continues to perform poorly?

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:So after all your criticism you're saying Ange needs to just do what he's doing. But win. Insightful.

Until it matters. Why the rush? It was made abundantly clear when he was appointed that it was a long term fix that was required. We cant just pluck awesome players from thin air. Why, if he was appointed with this in mind, are people getting their nickers in a knot when we are not getting wins? All you are doing is saying, we are losing, we shouldn't be losing, Ange is not doing his job properly, where in fact, we should be losing, our players are not of the greatest standard, Ange is doing what he can to rectify this moving forward

As someone pointed out, he is very lucky that he has been given time to implement change. We are also lucky that we have an organisation willing to see this through. We should embrace the fact we have that opportunity and not jump up and down 5 minutes later saying we are still losing. The losses we have had so far have little to no baring on anything, unless you expected we were going to win our group at the WC, which you would be the only 1.

That winning mentality, the one you say you can easily pick from your tv screen, was great and I loved it. We'd come up against the poms, or Argentina, and thought we're in with a chance here. But that was a long time ago, when we played a minimal amount of games, back when players rarely got the opportunity to play for Oz and so when they did (and they were GOOD players) wanted to make sure they were remembered. We need to focus on how we play, so that we can compete in tournaments regularly like we do now, not go out on a whim with a cabernet team with a 'winning' mentality. Times have changed and we need to move with it, fk me you struggled to even find a soceroos kit at Rebel Sport 12 years ago.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:

I've already explained my stance.