Saudi Arabia v Socceroos

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Saudi Arabia v Socceroos

Post by adelaidebloke »

So result lads?

Line up?

more of the same.....need a win big time!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Saudi Arabia v Socceroos

Post by God is an Englishman »

More of the same? So you want another loss - that's a bit weird.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

yeah i mean more of the same good play, but against lesser teams shold mean a win:)

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Will be interesting to see how Ange plays it, we can attack and have "respectable" losses against very good teams, but need to start winning
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Knight15 wrote:Will be interesting to see how Ange plays it, we can attack and have "respectable" losses against very good teams, but need to start winning
When was the last time we won a game?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Black_Panther wrote:
Knight15 wrote:Will be interesting to see how Ange plays it, we can attack and have "respectable" losses against very good teams, but need to start winning
Costa Rica last year.
FSC

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Andy1991 wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Costa Rica last year.
So Ange is 1 and 8?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Black_Panther wrote:So Ange is 1 and 8?
Beat Costa Rica, drew with South Africa, lost all the others...
FSC

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Looking at the quality we have played though
-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

its not hard to see why we've lost but we definitely need a win against Saudi Arabia, and they will be around the quality we'll play in the Asian Cup

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

COYR98 wrote:Looking at the quality we have played though
-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

its not hard to see why we've lost but we definitely need a win against Saudi Arabia, and they will be around the quality we'll play in the Asian Cup
Exactly we're clearly in a re-build stage. Thank F-all blooding of youth from 2010 till last year for that.
Now we're working on a new system with new player and we're doing it taking on the best the world has to offer and generally not disgracing ourselves. But this is the Socceroos equal longest losing streak so it will be important confidence-wise to end that!

What's story with Kruse is he injured again?

I'd love to see Juric start this one. Especially considering he's out of WSW's upcoming ACL clash. Bailey Wright should get some game time as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

That's only 5 opponents, who were the others?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:
-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

-Costa Rica W
-Ecuador L
-South Africa D
-Croatia L
-Chile L
-Netherlands L
-Spain L
-Belgium L

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

-Costa Rica W
-Ecuador L
-South Africa D
-Croatia L
-Chile L
-Netherlands L
-Spain L
-Belgium L

Saudi Arabia W -

Cheap Kitchens
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cheap Kitchens »

Now let's look at competitive matches.
Quote me !

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
-Croatia
-Chile
-Netherlands
-Spain
-Belgium

Exactly we're clearly in a re-build stage. Thank F-all blooding of youth from 2010 till last year for that.
Now we're working on a new system with new player and we're doing it taking on the best the world has to offer and generally not disgracing ourselves. But this is the Socceroos equal longest losing streak so it will be important confidence-wise to end that!

What's story with Kruse is he injured again?

I'd love to see Juric start this one. Especially considering he's out of WSW's upcoming ACL clash. Bailey Wright should get some game time as well.
What's this new system? We still only look dangerous when we sling balls into the box for Cahill to get on the end of.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

good first goal on the counter attack

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

Luongo looked very good. Otherwise, abit average really

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

a few more friendlies to come still

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Happy to see them get the win. Worst losing streak in Socceroos history is a title Ange can do without.

This reminds be of AU when JG took over. Obviously introducing a new system and style to a side is going to take time to bring in. Made even harder by the fact Ange gets very limited time with the squad and they go back to their clubs to play whatever style they play.

Skill errors is the obvious issue which I feel AU faced as well. Many of the goals they conceded early last HAL season were from getting caught out with the ball or make what look like dumb passes due to them still learning.
So we know that can be fixed. So I feel they just need to work on that as best they can in the time given and focus on the positives of the matches.
Luongo looks good in number 10 even though he doesn't play there too often.
Oar was IMO much better this game, Ange seems to have worked out that he plays much better centrally and between him Luongo and Bozanic could take the reigns as the Socceroo's number 10 from Bresc.
Juric I felt was good. When he came on for Cahill he held the ball up a bit which is something Cahill doesn't do a lot of IMO. I feel when we play Cahill we have to counter attack which as we've seen can work but I think going forward the side will benefit more from a player holding the ball up a distributing it. Much the same as playing Jero up front to Djite for AU.
Chris Herd was very good IMO and was worth chasing after. I hope these games get him noticed more by Villa and he plays more for them.
Smith was another one worth going after. Although I'm not overjoyed on having a Socceroos with a scouse accent!
Central of midfield is IMO our biggest concern. Jednak isn't the player he is for Palace for us. I'm not sure why. Maybe down to his partners.
Central defence although a concern I feel just needs more time together under Ange to work out what they're doing and where they're going. I think if Ange makes his mind up on a pairing, then gives them time they will be better for it.

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Jedinak was quite poor last game and has been for the previous games, not sure why this is the case but I think for us to really benefit from him we need a more ball playing midfielder next to him.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

COYR98 wrote:Jedinak was quite poor last game and has been for the previous games, not sure why this is the case but I think for us to really benefit from him we need a more ball playing midfielder next to him.
Like who?

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Maybe Luongo in his more natural role. Was the best player last game. Antonis when he isn't injured. Even Amini when he starts to get some game time, albeit most likely not a Dortmund.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

COYR98 wrote:Maybe Luongo in his more natural role. Was the best player last game. Antonis when he isn't injured. Even Amini when he starts to get some game time, albeit most likely not a Dortmund.
Yeah could probably work. Even Bresc playing deeper would be good. Not sure about Antonis IMO he still hasn't played a decent entire HAL season yet. Mostly due to injuries but to be called up to the Socceroos on the back of last season is a bit rich IMO. Amini is miles down the pecking order IMO. Not even playing for Dortmund reserves ATM. I'd rather Ange look to the HAL first. Especially to sides that are playing a similar style to him. Brisbane, AU and Heart/City is where I would start. So going on that Brattan, Mooy, McKay (who I thought was very good v Spain in the WC) should be considered.

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Stuckey wrote:
COYR98 wrote:Maybe Luongo in his more natural role. Was the best player last game. Antonis when he isn't injured. Even Amini when he starts to get some game time, albeit most likely not a Dortmund.
Yeah could probably work. Even Bresc playing deeper would be good. Not sure about Antonis IMO he still hasn't played a decent entire HAL season yet. Mostly due to injuries but to be called up to the Socceroos on the back of last season is a bit rich IMO. Amini is miles down the pecking order IMO. Not even playing for Dortmund reserves ATM. I'd rather Ange look to the HAL first. Especially to sides that are playing a similar style to him. Brisbane, AU and Heart/City is where I would start. So going on that Brattan, Mooy, McKay (who I thought was very good v Spain in the WC) should be considered.
Bresc in a deep-lying playmaking role wouldn't be too bad, much like the role Pirlo plays. Antonis potential is there to see, he just needs a run of consecutive games to get that form he had to clinch that Parma move. Wish Amini was getting time, seen him in Dortmunds pre season and he looks like a very good player, and has progressed well since his CCM days. I have a feeling Ange doesn't rate Brattan. Mooy would be alright but I see him in a slightly more advanced role. Don't rate McKay very much, did well but he's not the natural ball player we need to sit next to a destroyer like Jedi.