ASIAN CUP 2015

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: ASIAN CUP 2015

Post by Knight15 »

Bomber wrote:Could be a bargain then. Hopefully Brendan has some spies at this tournament. :wink:
If he does he will probably sign the Goalkeeper from Oman given some of his recent signings (and he will be better than at least half)
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

How bad was the Iran keeper going down like a bag of spuds every five minutes last night? It was so clear that on several occasions there was nothing wrong with him, but as he's a keeper, we all have to wait around until he is "fixed". The guy should have been booked at a bare minimum for his continual bullshit - after all, its not much different to those who dive and get booked similarly.
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Not sure why Ange tinkered with the team so much last night, I mean keeping Kruse and Cahill off the starting line up was always going to raise eyebrows if they lost, and low and behold, 0-1!

All that aside, I dont mind going up against China next anyway, its just the semi that looks a bit precarious now.
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:Not sure why Ange tinkered with the team so much last night, I mean keeping Kruse and Cahill off the starting line up was always going to raise eyebrows if they lost, and low and behold, 0-1!

All that aside, I dont mind going up against China next anyway, its just the semi that looks a bit precarious now.
I really enjoyed watching that match. If Juric or Kruse took their chances we'd be all smiles. But the build up play to get the ball into those areas was wonderful.

Its funny how similar they are to AU. If we take our chances we create IMO the lads can beat anyone in this tournament.

One thing I found odd was taking Burns off. I felt he was more likely to score then Kruse. I find Kruse often bottles it in tight situations.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

One thing I don't get. Why did they schedule a semi final at Newcastle. Due to the Socceroos coming 2nd in the group and there was a very good chance that would happen.
They'll play their semi at Newcastle should they make it.

Idiots.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Stuckey wrote:One thing I don't get. Why did they schedule a semi final at Newcastle. Due to the Socceroos coming 2nd in the group and there was a very good chance that would happen.

Idiots.

Not idiots, New South Wales Government paid a lot of money to get the semi-finals and Final - they gambled that Australia would top the group and play in Stadium Australia (once they won the quarter final game)

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Knight15 wrote:
Stuckey wrote:One thing I don't get. Why did they schedule a semi final at Newcastle. Due to the Socceroos coming 2nd in the group and there was a very good chance that would happen.

Idiots.

Not idiots, New South Wales Government paid a lot of money to get the semi-finals and Final - they gambled that Australia would top the group and play in Stadium Australia (once they won the quarter final game)
Why gamble on that? Idiots.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Knight15 wrote:

Idiots.

Not idiots...........they gambled that Australia would top the group and play in Stadium Australia (once they won the quarter final game)
Gambling with taxpayers money - surely that rates as idiotic?
Time for some righteous indignation

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Knight15 wrote:
Bomber wrote:Could be a bargain then. Hopefully Brendan has some spies at this tournament. :wink:
If he does he will probably sign the Goalkeeper from Oman given some of his recent signings (and he will be better than at least half)
He should come cheap, given his side should be relegated from the Championship.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Stitch This wrote:
Knight15 wrote:

Idiots.

Not idiots...........they gambled that Australia would top the group and play in Stadium Australia (once they won the quarter final game)
What would you have done? One state pays for the rights to host 2 semis - must use 2 different venues. They select the one they believe Australia would end up in, not sure what else they could do?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Knight15 wrote:
Stitch This wrote:
Knight15 wrote:

What would you have done? One state pays for the rights to host 2 semis - must use 2 different venues. They select the one they believe Australia would end up in, not sure what else they could do?
Use another venue that holds far more people. Hunter holds 33,000. Allianz holds 42,000 or allow Brisbane to hold it as that hold over 50,000.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

Nothing should ever be held in Brisbane again.

At least until they sort that pitch out.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

And what was with all the bugs flying around during the game?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Mrs Red wrote:And what was with all the bugs flying around during the game?
It's an outrage.
Time for some righteous indignation

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

It would bug me too.
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Knight15 wrote:

Idiots.

Why gamble on that? Idiots.
Should be an easy answer to all this. Shift the Semi if our country makes it. Shift it to the 85,000-capacity Stadium Australia. Tell the AFC they can have their $$$s extra cut that an 85,000 crowd on Australia Day can bring compared to Newcastle's 33,000 Hunter stadium.

Learn from history/antiquity: The Englanders moved their 1966 World Cup semi to Wembley (away from some provincial city which it was originally scheduled for), so all 3 Group games, the infamous QF versus Argentina, the Semi versus Portugal and the Final versus West Germany were all played at the cavernous Wembley Stadium.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote: Should be an easy answer to all this. Shift the Semi if our country makes it. Shift it to the 85,000-capacity Stadium Australia. Tell the AFC they can have their $$$s extra cut that an 85,000 crowd on Australia Day can bring compared to Newcastle's 33,000 Hunter stadium.

Learn from history/antiquity: The Englanders moved their 1966 World Cup semi to Wembley (away from some provincial city which it was originally scheduled for), so all 3 Group games, the infamous QF versus Argentina, the Semi versus Portugal and the Final versus West Germany were all played at the cavernous Wembley Stadium.
That's probably the smartest thing I've read from you. :wink:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote: Should be an easy answer to all this. Shift the Semi if our country makes it. Shift it to the 85,000-capacity Stadium Australia. Tell the AFC they can have their $$$s extra cut that an 85,000 crowd on Australia Day can bring compared to Newcastle's 33,000 Hunter stadium.

That's probably the smartest thing I've read from you. :wink:
Stuckey, I'm so chuffed - that coming from you...

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote: That's probably the smartest thing I've read from you. :wink:
Stuckey, I'm so chuffed - that coming from you...
:lol: I'm glad my opinion means so much to you! :wink:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Asian Cup final highest rated (watched) TV audience in Australian history.
Only FreeTV included.

Amazing! C'mon FTA get on board with the HAL!!

etpjk5424
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by etpjk5424 »

I have serious doubts about those figures

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

etpjk5424 wrote:I have serious doubts about those figures
Shhh! Just go with it man!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

'The Australian' newspaper reported that 1.8 million TV viewers tuned in and another 1.2 million switched on during extra time, bringing the number to three million.

650,446 came through the turnstiles, compared to 421,000 who went to the Asian Cup held in Qatar in 2011. If unlucky Iran had beaten Iraq, we could have reached 700,000. If the AFC wasn't so pig-headed about venues, those semis could have been switched and numbers boosted again. Similarly, the AFC's schedule meant Sydney's huge Chinese community couldn't be tapped into and Iran had only one game in Sydney where a huge and passionate Iranian population exists.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:
'The Australian' newspaper reported that 1.8 million TV viewers tuned in and another 1.2 million switched on during extra time, bringing the number to three million.

650,446 came through the turnstiles, compared to 421,000 who went to the Asian Cup held in Qatar in 2011. If unlucky Iran had beaten Iraq, we could have reached 700,000. If the AFC wasn't so pig-headed about venues, those semis could have been switched and numbers boosted again. Similarly, the AFC's schedule meant Sydney's huge Chinese community couldn't be tapped into and Iran had only one game in Sydney where a huge and passionate Iranian population exists.
Not bad for two bob tournament :wink:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote:
Con M wrote:

Ha ha. The name graciously bestowed on it by God Isn't An Englishman.

Yet he watched some two-bob teams in the Final at the pub, even though I'm sure the toffee pub had crickette or old AFL foottiee re-runs on some of it's dozen mega-screens that he could have watched...

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Con M wrote: 'The Australian' newspaper reported that 1.8 million TV viewers tuned in and another 1.2 million switched on during extra time, bringing the number to three million.

Ha ha. The name graciously bestowed on it by God Isn't An Englishman.

Yet he watched some two-bob teams in the Final at the pub, even though I'm sure the toffee pub had crickette or old AFL foottiee re-runs on some of it's dozen mega-screens that he could have watched...
To be fair, you're the only one who can't seem to get pubs to put football on tv......
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

:lol:
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.