Is Tim Cahill now the best ever Socceroos

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Is Tim Cahill now the best ever Socceroos

Post by Chico »

If that recent vote for best players ever was done now would Cahill get the nod over kewell?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Is Tim Cahill now the best ever Socceroos

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Easily
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

without question 4 world cup goals , 3 world cups, 33 international goals.

known around the planet....etc etc

Certified Head Case
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Certified Head Case »

Until he scores thirteen in one game he's got nothing on archie thompson.
Digger wrote:No sane person would want to know you.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Easily the best

Gary Gerald
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gary Gerald »

Easy.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

he is in some pretty elite goal scoring company with 3 world cup to have scored in :)

4 goals at world cup level :)

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I love Harry and would have him at his best in my side way before I'd take Timmy but I do agree Tim has probably achieved more for us now.
Its a pity if Harry did get his injuries and suspensions in the WC when he did things could have been different. I've always wondered what might have been if we had Harry in our 11 v Italy in '06. For a game that was so close he could have been the X factor will missed.

Here's hoping Timmy puts it beyond doubt when our WC run ends.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Yes, and I'm really happy he went through the system too :roll:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Well its beyond doubt now! What a cracker!!!

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

Stuckey wrote:I love Harry and would have him at his best in my side way before I'd take Timmy
:clown:

Just can't take you seriously.
Cahill has....
.....more guts
.....more pride in his country
.....a will to put his team in front of himself
.....more World Cup appearances
.....more goals
.....more admirers
.....more consistency
.....more reliability

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Fact Hunt wrote:
Stuckey wrote:I love Harry and would have him at his best in my side way before I'd take Timmy

Cahill has....
.....more guts
.....more goals
.....more admirers
.....more consistency
.....more reliability
That's your opinion IMO Harry is a better individual player. I feel the fact you can't deal with other peoples opinions makes you the :clown:

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

Stuckey wrote:
Fact Hunt wrote:

Cahill has....
.....more guts
.....more goals
.....more admirers
.....more consistency
.....more reliability
That's your opinion IMO Harry is a better individual player. I feel the fact you can't deal with other peoples opinions makes you the :clown:
On the contrary - I can deal with your opinion but it is my right and prerogative as well as duty in this case to tell you that you are an idiot.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Fact Hunt wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Fact Hunt wrote: :clown:

Cahill has....
.....more guts
.....more goals
.....more admirers
.....more consistency
.....more reliability
On the contrary - I can deal with your opinion but it is my right and prerogative as well as duty in this case to tell you that you are an idiot.
I didn't realise you are the forum police. Oh right you aren't STFU.

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

Idiot.

No police on the forum just those who see stupidity and like to point it out so it be avoided in future.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

one last swansong in 2015 asian cup, will probably get the winner in the final.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

for me, it's a close call between hayden foxe and shannon cole

moonshine3
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by moonshine3 »

better player harry,better striker timmy

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

moonshine3 wrote:better player harry,better striker timmy
Careful! Fac Hunt will get upset if you disagree with them.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Not surethat Fact Hunt gets upset by too much - if he got upset by peoples' stupidity then he would be constantly crying his eyes out listening to people consistently praise the self obsessed Harry Kewell who is not fit to lace Tim's boots for all thise reasons identified above and for the fact that epitomises Australian never say die and fight to the death ideals. Harry would give up if it was raining.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Redback wrote:Not surethat Fact Hunt gets upset by too much - if he got upset by peoples' stupidity then he would be constantly crying his eyes out listening to people consistently praise the self obsessed Harry Kewell who is not fit to lace Tim's boots for all thise reasons identified above and for the fact that epitomises Australian never say die and fight to the death ideals. Harry would give up if it was raining.
Well its amazing he played so many games for Liverpool and Leeds with the weather they have. It amazing how many people confuse being prone to injury to laziness or lack of fight. If Harry was the champagne people make him out to be he would have joined the English national team when he got the opportunity years ago. Obviously Tim and Harry have completely different personalities. But IMO at the top level being a battler and never saying die just isn't enough.
Now I don't have an issue with people feeling Tim has over taken Harry as our greatest player. In fact I agree, I just don't get the hate on Harry like he's some sort of overrated flog. He big part in Leeds' successful years. Something I feel a lot of people that have jumped on the EPL bandwagon in the last 5 years would have missed.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Stuckey wrote:
Old Redback wrote:Not surethat Fact Hunt gets upset by too much - if he got upset by peoples' stupidity then he would be constantly crying his eyes out listening to people consistently praise the self obsessed Harry Kewell who is not fit to lace Tim's boots for all thise reasons identified above and for the fact that epitomises Australian never say die and fight to the death ideals. Harry would give up if it was raining.
Well its amazing he played so many games for Liverpool and Leeds with the weather they have. It amazing how many people confuse being prone to injury to laziness or lack of fight. If Harry was the champagne people make him out to be he would have joined the English national team when he got the opportunity years ago. Obviously Tim and Harry have completely different personalities. But IMO at the top level being a battler and never saying die just isn't enough.
Now I don't have an issue with people feeling Tim has over taken Harry as our greatest player. In fact I agree, I just don't get the hate on Harry like he's some sort of overrated flog. He big part in Leeds' successful years. Something I feel a lot of people that have jumped on the EPL bandwagon in the last 5 years would have missed.
You probably need to check the records - Leeds limited success in terms of silverware was before Harry and they had flash in the pan success (ie top 4 finishes - only Liverpool and Spurs class that as 'success') while Harry was there but the reality was that Harry was good for an 18 month period - I would suggest that Australia was an easier side to get into hence why he picked them in addition to that being the country of his birth. His signing for Galatasaray was a very poor decision and you'd have to question his character in so doing. He hardly set the world alight at Liverpool and the circumstances surrounding his transfer there are murky. After that he struggled to get a club and ended up trying to eek out a few more pennies in Australia which was less than successful and even managed to go from one Melbourne club to the other......!

Yes he was talented but just because he is Australian does not make him beyond criticism.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Redback wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
You probably need to check the records - Leeds limited success in terms of silverware was before Harry and they had flash in the pan success (ie top 4 finishes - only Liverpool and Spurs class that as 'success') while Harry was there but the reality was that Harry was good for an 18 month period - I would suggest that Australia was an easier side to get into hence why he picked them in addition to that being the country of his birth. His signing for Galatasaray was a very poor decision and you'd have to question his character in so doing. He hardly set the world alight at Liverpool and the circumstances surrounding his transfer there are murky. After that he struggled to get a club and ended up trying to eek out a few more pennies in Australia which was less than successful and even managed to go from one Melbourne club to the other......!

Yes he was talented but just because he is Australian does not make him beyond criticism.
Of course criticize were its due. When I talk about Leeds successful years I'm obviously talking in reference to their own recent history (I think a UCL semi final is worth mentioning as well). But yes its much like the "Golden Generation" of the Socceroos which won nothing. Hardly set the world alight at Liverpool? He started for them in his first three seasons playing 120 games in that period, then had his horror run with injuries.
I agree going to Gala was a strange one. But as we've seen with them signing Drogba and Sneijder they certainly have pulling power.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Harry's club career >>>>>>> Tim's club career

Tim's national team career > Harry's national team career

Nigel_Reo-Coker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nigel_Reo-Coker »

Yes. Timmy or Con Boutsianis.

uwgqjfreebe
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by uwgqjfreebe »

Well its beyond doubt now! What a cracker!!!