Aust Youth Development - Croatian Influence

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Aust Youth Development - Croatian Influence

Post by MegaBonus »

Without any empirical evidence and relying on memory and gut feel is it fair to say that the Australian Croatian community has provided/developed a higher % of internationals for the Socceroos (and Croatia) than any other ethnic group?......if so, why?
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Aust Youth Development - Croatian Influence

Post by N5 1BH »

MegaBonus wrote:Without any empirical evidence and relying on memory and gut feel is it fair to say that the Australian Croatian community has provided/developed a higher % of internationals for the Socceroos (and Croatia) than any other ethnic group?......if so, why?
Would have absolutely no idea either way, but it does look like Brazil has provided a fair % of internationals for Croatia

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

N5 1BH wrote: Would have absolutely no idea either way, but it does look like Brazil has provided a fair % of internationals for Croatia
Australia has provided the same number...2 :shock:

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

MegaBonus wrote:Without any empirical evidence and relying on memory and gut feel is it fair to say that the Australian Croatian community has provided/developed a higher % of internationals for the Socceroos (and Croatia) than any other ethnic group?......if so, why?
Probably a combination of 2 things - they do more manual labour so therefore they are physically better prepared for sport & secondly they don't baby their youth as much as other ethnic groups.

How's that for 2 racial stereotypes!
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Black_Panther wrote:
Probably a combination of 2 things - they do more manual labour so therefore they are physically better prepared for sport & secondly they don't baby their youth as much as other ethnic groups.

How's that for 2 racial stereotypes!

Racist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still believe that if the split up of Yugoslavia had not happened that they would have won the last three WC's and this one as well.

They had an incredible number of young, talented players with skills and techniques galore and some brilliant coaches at all levels.

From a footballing, as well as a humanitarian perspective it was a tragedy beyond belief. :cry: :cry: :cry:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Easy answer

Croats are winners. Even when they aren't supposed to win, the believe they can.

winning mentality rises to the top.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Can anyone tell me how to change the title thread to....

Australian Football Comentator Development - Croatian Influence
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Beyond Blue
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Beyond Blue »

Edit your original post - it's not rocket science.
And yes I know you are taking the mickey

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Beyond Blue
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Beyond Blue »

Thanks for playing :lol:

Note invisible text

Míster Miyagi
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Míster Miyagi »

Casual Racism wrote:Edit your original post - it's not rocket science.
And yes I know you are taking the mickey
:P

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Josep players for [any Australian city] Croatia. Josep’s old man loves to get ripped at the club with his old mates on a regular basis. Josep doesn’t have much choice but to kick the ball around, since he’s there and all. With another dozen or so kids. Joe also plays for [any Australian city] Croatia. After training for an hr or so, Joe gets picked up and goes home to play Xbox.

Simples.

haaaaaaa

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

The Kop wrote:Josep players for [any Australian city] Croatia. Josep’s old man loves to get ripped at the club with his old mates on a regular basis. Josep doesn’t have much choice but to kick the ball around, since he’s there and all. With another dozen or so kids. Joe also plays for [any Australian city] Croatia. After training for an hr or so, Joe gets picked up and goes home to play Xbox.

Simples.

haaaaaaa
interesting you chose a Spanish name for the young Croat :? :lol:

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
The Kop wrote:Josep players for [any Australian city] Croatia. Josep’s old man loves to get ripped at the club with his old mates on a regular basis. Josep doesn’t have much choice but to kick the ball around, since he’s there and all. With another dozen or so kids. Joe also plays for [any Australian city] Croatia. After training for an hr or so, Joe gets picked up and goes home to play Xbox.

Simples.

haaaaaaa
Well you guys are a very multi cultural ethnic group as witnessed by Melbourne Knights commercial efforts for the FFA Cup.

8)
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Black_Panther wrote:
El Paso del Norte wrote:

Simples.

haaaaaaa
Well you guys are a very multi cultural ethnic group as witnessed by Melbourne Knights commercial efforts for the FFA Cup.

8)
:lol:

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
El Paso del Norte wrote: interesting you chose a Spanish name for the young Croat :? :lol:

8)
:lol:
Sorry, I forgot that you are Mexican.

God Tongue
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by God Tongue »

* formerly
English is weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Wave the flag boys :lol:
Croatian community's proud role in Australian soccer still reaping rewards

Ashley Gray May 31, 2014

“I ran into a Croatia fan in Stuttgart during the 2006 World Cup before the Socceroos’ game,” former Sydney FC coach Branko Culina recalls, “and he said, ‘We are playing Croatia B,’ and I laughed and said, ‘No, we [the Socceroos] are playing Australia B'.”

Friendly sparring aside, both protagonists had a point. That Australian World Cup squad contained six men of Croatian heritage, including Culina’s son, Jason, while the Croatian squad had three players who were born and raised in Australia.

It was emblematic of the close football relationship between the two proud sporting nations, which stretches back generations to when the first Croatian migrants set up soccer clubs in Australia in the 1950s, and continues today.

Although people of Croatian heritage make up less than 1 per cent of the Australian population, their presence in the A-League is disproportionately high: nearly every club has at least one player of Croatian roots in their run-on side (Western Sydney Wanderers have five plus coach Tony Popovic, his assistant Ante Milicic, and one Croatian national) while six of the 27 (22 per cent) in Ange Postecoglou’s World Cup squad are of Croatian descent.

Captain Mile Jedanik and his 2006 predecessor Mark Viduka are products of the two most famous Croatian football nurseries in the country: Sydney United 58 FC [formerly Sydney United] and Melbourne Knights respectively.
for those interested, you can read on here...

http://m.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014 ... zrtuo.html

Hamstring
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hamstring »

Because Melbourne Knights and Sydney United have very good youth development programs whereas the Greek clubs are full of nutters.

cruzer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by cruzer »

Hamstring wrote:Because Melbourne Knights and Sydney United have very good youth development programs whereas the Greek clubs are full of nutters.
Plus us Victorians are just better at sport.