LUCAS NEIL WILL NOT BE GOING TO BRAZIL

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

LUCAS NEIL WILL NOT BE GOING TO BRAZIL

Post by adelaidebloke »

breaking now all over twitter, Ange just told him!!!!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: LUCAS NEIL WILL NOT BE GOING TO BRAZIL

Post by Red-4-Life »

Socceroo coach Ange Postecoglou has announced that long-serving national team skipper Lucas Neill will not be going to Brazil as part of the Australia World Cup squad
The defender, capped 96 times, was overlooked for the Socceroos' last friendly against Ecuador in March after being left without a club since departing J-League club Omiya Ardija in November 2013.

Neill secured a month loan deal with English Championship side Doncaster in late March but Postecoglou felt the 36-year-old would not be ready for a World Cup campaign.

“In the end I just had to make a decision not so much about the recent history but the last six months in terms of form and fitness,” he said of Neill, who made his international debut as an 18-year-old.

“There just wasn’t enough evidence there for me to say he’d be able to hold up in a World Cup.

“It was both a combination of the lack of regular football and the little niggles he got that made the decision for me.

Postecoglou felt it was important to inform Neill personally of the decision prior to the World Cup squad being announced given what he's achieved at international and club level.

Neill broke the Socceroo record when he pulled on the captain’s armband for the 61st time in his last international against Costa Rica.

“I had a conversation with Lucas regarding the World Cup squad and obviously before I announced the 30-man squad next week I thought it was important for me to speak to him directly,” said Postecoglou.

“I informed him that he hasn’t made the 30, from my perspective paying due respect to the fact that he’s been the captain for six years and the captain of the World Cup campaign so far.

“It was difficult, he’s worked damn hard to get himself ready and available; he’s shown an enormous determination to go to this World Cup.

“You can see why he’s played for his country as many times as he has and why he was a leader, he’s gone down fighting.”

Postecoglou indicated that his decision was purely based on the World Cup.

“My discussions with him were purely about the World Cup and he has every intention of continuing to play on and play next year, probably in Europe,” he said.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/neil ... Assitht.99
Saw it coming. Should have taken up an A-League contract when he had the chance

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

I guess we all knew, but just needed that real confirmation!

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

It's a decision that had to be made, now I just wait to witness all the people that lack class sticking the boot in.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) »

You never know, he might be in the crowd.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

DOUBT THAT

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

i think ange handled this well too, told him face to face and not in a txt, e-mail, fb PM :lol:
ImageImage

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

All I can say is thank god!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Surely someone should put their arm around him now and tell him bowing out gracefully would be a better option for him to preserve the memory of a good servant and not become an example of a desperate has been.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

he had a chance to go to a third world cup as captain of his country, i think desperation on his part is justified...hats off to him for his efforts

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:he had a chance to go to a third world cup as captain of his country, i think desperation on his part is justified...hats off to him for his efforts
I'd like to do that too, people need to be realistic. When you are getting booed by your own fans regularly I think it's time you look at whether you belong there or not.