Australia Starting 11

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Australia Starting 11

Post by COYR98 »

With the World Cup edging closer, this would be my starting 11 for Australia for the first game.

4-2-3-1
(GK)Matty Ryan

(RB) Franjic --- (CB) Spiranovic --- (CB) Good ---- (LB) Davidson

(DM) Mile Jedinak -- (DM) Mark Milligan

(RM) Tommy Oar --- (AM) Rogic ---- (LM) Dario Vidosic/Bozanic

(ST) Leckie/Vidosic

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Australia Starting 11

Post by Con M »

COYR98 wrote:With the World Cup edging closer, this would be my starting 11 for Australia for the first game.

4-2-3-1
(GK)Matty Ryan

(RB) Franjic --- (CB) Spiranovic --- (CB) Good ---- (LB) Davidson

(DM) Mile Jedinak -- (DM) Mark Milligan

(RM) Tommy Oar --- (AM) Rogic ---- (LM) Dario Vidosic/Bozanic

(ST) Leckie/Vidosic
Agree with the GK, back 4 & the 2 DMs. But room will have to be found for Cahill & Bresciano in the midfield. And everyone is forgetting Josh Kennedy for up front. He'll be needed there as we're likely to be chasing the game and needing to go long to him as the clock ticks away..

ps, I'm not a betting man but I snuck a look at the odds when I was getting my pathetic weekly X-lotto ticket to see what the know-all market thinks. Put it this way, we're nearly at $9 to beat Netherlands & over $12 to beat Spain. And at horrible odds too versus Chile, which sadly almost certainly makes those games against the Dutch & the Spaniards dead rubbers.

In a twisted way it's lucky the games against those latter two countries are telecast here at 1.30 am on Thursday 19/6 & Tuesday 24/6, by which time all the mainstream bandwaggoners in the build-up to that first World Cup game against Chile at 8.30 am on Sat 14/6 will have fallen away & won't stay up/get up for the telecasts and witness possible slaughters.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

the Chilean press just pissed itself laughing. we will be crucified.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

sephiroth wrote:the Chilean press just pissed itself laughing. we will be crucified.
Probably will, but still can't wait for the trip to Brazil
Are you Bodo in disguise?

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Reckon Chile and Spain will progress, the Dutch arent the powerhouse they were 4 years ago.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

sephiroth wrote:the Chilean press just pissed itself laughing. we will be crucified.
Does that mean you will be supporting Chile against Australia, just like GMAE/Hawkesy?

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

After tonight I would like to see

Cahill

Oar Bresciano Troisi

Milligan Jedinak

Davidson Spiranovic Wilkinson Franjic

Ryan

Some good signs. Leckie looked dangerous at times

Not sold on Holland

I think were in trouble no matter who plays but oh well nothing to lose. Need some luck. At least they look to be positive.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I thought Milligan was terrible but he has been much better, Leckie should start defence looked suspect hope Rogic is fit, Halloran looked ok, hmmmm let's be honest were not great and it's all very well to have a crack but we could get done by plenty if we leave ourselves exposed like that against Chile, Spain and Holland

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

bloody horrible game both sides as bad as each other. felt sorry for the 50,000 that turned up and paid. :roll:

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

THE ORAKLE wrote:bloody horrible game both sides as bad as each other. felt sorry for the 50,000 that turned up and paid. :roll:
Sounds like a Rangers home game

Reds11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Reds11 »

The pitch was terrible which didnt help

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

we are very inexperienced, no defence at all.

where is sasha and lucas now lol

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:we are very inexperienced, no defence at all.

GONE FFS! Quit harping on about them!

........................RYAN
FRANJIC SPIRANOVIC McGOWAN DAVIDSON
................JEDINAK MILLIGAN
.....................BRESCIANO
LECKIE..............CAHILL....................OAR

KENNEDY
HALLORAN
TROISI
HOLLAND
WILKSHIRE
ROGIC
GALEKOVIC

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:

You can whine all you want, however surely you can't deny that the team lacks leadership in the defence and this has been very apparent in the last couple of games where we have gotten poor results against very mediocre opponents.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

You can whine all you want, however surely you can't deny that the team lacks leadership in the defence and this has been very apparent in the last couple of games where we have gotten poor results against very mediocre opponents.
So what are you saying? Lets play them till their dead with no plan for the future? The entire reason we have a defence that lacks experience is because we played these guys way past their use by date and never thought towards preparing replacements.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

wouldnt play till they are dead, but having either sash or lucas for one more world cup would help

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

guess timmy shouldnt play either, with that theory, just play ohalloran

why take breciano, play a kid too.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:wouldnt play till they are dead, but having either sash or lucas for one more world cup would help
I disagree I think it would hands down make things worse.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:guess timmy shouldnt play either, with that theory, just play ohalloran

Because Timmy and Brec are still of value to the squad and bring something no other players have. The only thing Sasa and Lucas would bring is the tactic of fouling the fast players before they get too close to the penalty area. They are both old, slow and totally unsuited to Ange's game plan.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

you need someone with experience a the back, no schwartzer also means not much back there.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

adelaidebloke wrote:guess timmy shouldnt play either, with that theory, just play ohalloran

Who is Ohalloran?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:

Because Timmy and Brec are still of value to the squad and bring something no other players have. The only thing Sasa and Lucas would bring is the tactic of fouling the fast players before they get too close to the penalty area. They are both old, slow and totally unsuited to Ange's game plan.
So you place no importance on experience, organisational skills, tactical understanding of the game & a vocal presence?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

So you place no importance on experience, organisational skills, tactical understanding of the game & a vocal presence?
I feel our squad has begun to show good organisational skills and tactical understanding of the game.

Russki Claw
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Russki Claw »

You can't tell me that Ognenovski would not be an asset to the defence based on the injury issues and lack of quality available back there.
Cahil in attack, Bresc/Mile in midfield, and Sasha in defence. Would mean an experienced leader in all three zones of the outfield.

We were rubbish at defending against South Africa, I dread to think what Spain will do against that defence.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Russki Claw wrote:You can't tell me that Ognenovski would not be an asset to the defence based on the injury issues and lack of quality available back there.
Cahil in attack, Bresc/Mile in midfield, and Sasha in defence. Would mean an experienced leader in all three zones of the outfield.

We were rubbish at defending against South Africa, I dread to think what Spain will do against that defence.
I understand what you're saying but as I said the reason we're lacking experience so badly is because of this very mentality. We can keep saying 'yes lets blood so youth, oh wait we definitely can't lose this game Lucas and Sasa we need you!'
This decision should have been made the day after the 2010 WC, it wasn't and now due to a number of people's inability to bring in change we're in a position that we have to take a squad of players that haven't but should have been playing together for the last 3 and a half years.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

Stuckey wrote:
Russki Claw wrote:You can't tell me that Ognenovski would not be an asset to the defence based on the injury issues and lack of quality available back there.

I understand what you're saying but as I said the reason we're lacking experience so badly is because of this very mentality. We can keep saying 'yes lets blood so youth, oh wait we definitely can't lose this game Lucas and Sasa we need you!cheap and nasty
This decision should have been made the day after the 2010 WC, it wasn't and now due to a number of people's inability to bring in change we're in a position that we have to take a squad of players that haven't but should have been playing together for the last 3 and a half years.
Yeh I have to agree. Who is to say wouldn't get thrashed, or possibly thrashed worse with sash or Lucas playing. Then you lose twice because you've wasted an opportunity to give someone experience. Experience that may help us win the Asian cup or progress in 2018.

I think in this case the juice is worth the squeeze.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

BruceLee wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

I understand what you're saying but as I said the reason we're lacking experience so badly is because of this very mentality. We can keep saying 'yes lets blood so youth, oh wait we definitely can't lose this game Lucas and Sasa we need you!cheap and nasty
Yeh I have to agree. Who is to say wouldn't get thrashed, or possibly thrashed worse with sash or Lucas playing. Then you lose twice because you've wasted an opportunity to give someone experience. Experience that may help us win the Asian cup or progress in 2018.

I think in this case the juice is worth the squeeze.
Are you guys honestly saying we should use the most prestigious tournament in world sport as a trial run for the Asian Cup?????

You guys are effectively discriminating against Ognenovski & Neill based on their birthdate. The defending against Ecuador & South Africa was crap and won't be remedied by playing players that are younger but not of the same standard.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Too late now, but I reckon Ange should have swallowed his pride and maybe recalled the Ogre when Good was clearly not gonna make it. People keep saying Sasha's too slow but I've seen him desperately make up ground and get a last-ditch block or tackle in.

Spiranovic and Ognenovski would have worked well as a central pairing. And with their height & strength both would have been threatening when moving up at set pieces.

Gawd I hope Jedinak makes it back as a DM together with Milligan. Didn't like Ange's last statement that Jedinak "has a groin strain and UNCERTAIN when he'll play again" (!).

And upfield from Jedinak & Milligan we desperately need Bresciano and Rogic back to create something.

Blotto
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Blotto »

adelaidebloke wrote:you need someone with experience a the back, no schwartzer also means not much back there.
agreed.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Are you guys honestly saying we should use the most prestigious tournament in world sport as a trial run for the Asian Cup?????

You guys are effectively discriminating against Ognenovski & Neill based on their birthdate. The defending against Ecuador & South Africa was crap and won't be remedied by playing players that are younger but not of the same standard.
All I'm saying is that really we are going to get pumped regardless so why waste time playing people who are going to retire afterwards all you are doing is delaying the redevelopment further allowing us no time to the develop for the Asian Cup at all.
I don't know which games you are referring to but over our qualifying campaign our defence with Lucas running it was woeful anyway as we barely made the WC at all.