Australia Starting 11

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

manny
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Australia Starting 11

Post by manny »

Black_Panther wrote:
Are you guys honestly saying we should use the most prestigious tournament in world sport as a trial run for the Asian Cup?????

You guys are effectively discriminating against Ognenovski & Neill based on their birthdate. The defending against Ecuador & South Africa was crap and won't be remedied by playing players that are younger but not of the same standard.
the defending by neill in the brazil and france games was so good...

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

It's really bad luck Curtis Good got injured in that Ecuador game. I wonder if Ange even considered Shane Lowry, a powerful left-footed centre-back as Good's replacement.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

manny wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Are you guys honestly saying we should use the most prestigious tournament in world sport as a trial run for the Asian Cup?????

You guys are effectively discriminating against Ognenovski & Neill based on their birthdate. The defending against Ecuador & South Africa was crap and won't be remedied by playing players that are younger but not of the same standard.
the defending by neill in the brazil and france games was so good...
:lol: :lol:

If you are really comparing the attacking quality of this Sth Africa B side and Ecuador to Brazil & France then I really don't need to go on.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Ok if you're so smart then how would you redevelop Australian football then?
Obviously you would plan an aging squad again this WC.

What happens then? Do you then take that aging squad into the Asian Cup?

How long till you actually start playing people under 30?

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

Stuckey wrote:Ok if you're so smart then how would you redevelop Australian football then?

it isnt about age or taking youngsters to WC. if they were good enough, why not. Experience like Neil and Sasha you dont by at Coles. They could pair with one of youngsters, they shouldve been among to group at least.

If this young players get destroyed at wc... maybe their career will get damaged. if they dont do that bad, maybe we will have hopes for future.

Milligan is good but a-league quality... he runs like a maniac... ahahahh

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Stuckey wrote:Ok if you're so smart then how would you redevelop Australian football then?

the main problem is we dont have Kewells, vidukas, neils, emertons, tim cahills playing at EPL or Italian serie A or la liga... just Mile Jediniak. the rest is europes's left overs

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Coach_Mulatinho wrote:

it isnt about age or taking youngsters to WC. if they were good enough, why not. Experience like Neil and Sasha you dont by at Coles. They could pair with one of youngsters, they shouldve been among to group at least.

If this young players get destroyed at wc... maybe their career will get damaged. if they dont do that bad, maybe we will have hopes for future.

Milligan is good but a-league quality... he runs like a maniac... ahahahh
We're not sending 6 year old kids. They are still grown men I'm sure they've played a couple of losses before.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

You develop Australian football through the development pathways and through friendly's.

I would take the best available players. As has been said by others 1 of Sasa or Neill would have made a massive difference in the last two games.

Playing for the Socceroos is an honour that should be earnt not given away based on someones birthdate.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Black_Panther wrote:

You develop Australian football through the development pathways and through friendly's.

I would take the best available players. As has been said by others 1 of Sasa or Neill would have made a massive difference in the last two games.

Playing for the Socceroos is an honour that should be earnt not given away based on someones birthdate.
but nowadays these players play a couple of games and they think they are top quality, in general thats the young generation in our society. do the bare minimum and get the reward

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:

Fair enough I agree with you, but sadly for the last 4 years that has totally been ignored and now we're in a position that we either go with the old generation that is IMO and obviously Ange's opinion as well past it, or the next generation that has a lot to learn.
As I said either way we're going to get pumped so it really makes little difference who we go with in that respect but obviously having the next generation around one another longer is surely going to be a good thing for the future.
I agree its sad that we're using the WC as a development camp but the blame for this lies squarely at Holger's feet for the way he went about things and the FFA for allowing it to go on for as long as it did.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

Has anyone noticed that some of the football we have already played under ange is as good as anything we have seen in the last couple of years. Also maybe consider that ange might know what he is doing. I think he's earned that.

I've never wanted to believe Ange was a good coach but he orchestrated the longest winning run in oz ever in a league that is designed to be EVEN! It's worth noting that he achieved this by sacking Craig Moore and signing a unknown mobile defender named Matt Smith.

I just don't want to hear any I told you so's when we lose like we most likely will. Because Lucas and Sash should not be considered keys to world cup success. Especially in this team.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

BruceLee wrote:Has anyone noticed that some of the football we have already played under ange is as good as anything we have seen in the last couple of years. Also maybe consider that ange might know what he is doing. I think he's earned that.

I've never wanted to believe Ange was a good coach but he orchestrated the longest winning run in oz ever in a league that is designed to be EVEN! It's worth noting that he achieved this by sacking Craig Moore and signing a unknown mobile defender named Matt Smith.

I just don't want to hear any I told you so's when we lose like we most likely will. Because Lucas and Sash should not be considered keys to world cup success. Especially in this team.
Club and National team runs differently. But Ange is the best coach that Australia can have... we hope Australia does well and things in future can be better. But World Cup is the biggest tournament.. cant take trial players there

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Coach_Mulatinho wrote:
BruceLee wrote:Has anyone noticed that some of the football we have already played under ange is as good as anything we have seen in the last couple of years. Also maybe consider that ange might know what he is doing. I think he's earned that.

Club and National team runs differently. But Ange is the best coach that Australia can have... we hope Australia does well and things in future can be better. But World Cup is the biggest tournament.. cant take trial players there
I say you can't just take old has beens living out their final days of glory there either!

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

Fair enough I agree with you, but sadly for the last 4 years that has totally been ignored and now we're in a position that we either go with the old generation that is IMO and obviously Ange's opinion as well past it, or the next generation that has a lot to learn.
As I said either way we're going to get pumped so it really makes little difference who we go with in that respect but obviously having the next generation around one another longer is surely going to be a good thing for the future.
I agree its sad that we're using the WC as a development camp but the blame for this lies squarely at Holger's feet for the way he went about things and the FFA for allowing it to go on for as long as it did.
is it Holgers fault that he picked the best available players?

The players available now are nowhere near the standard they were ten years ago. We just aren't producing the quality youngsters that we used to despite the extra focus on development.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote: You develop Australian football through the development pathways and through friendly's.

The players available now are nowhere near the standard they were ten years ago. We just aren't producing the quality youngsters that we used to despite the extra focus on development.
Yes it is. A coach needs to leave a side in better shape then they started with IMO. Its a coaches job to not only coach the side they pick but to ensure young talent is coming thru as well so a seem less change between one generation and the other can be undertaken. I do feel development is down over the last few years IMO that is mainly due to the NSL stopping and the HAL starting. Many development pathways have been cut off and are still in need of repair. But that's not to say that all development pathways are cut and IMO the FFA has seriously dropped the ball in respect to player scouting. Many players IMO good enough to make our NT have been ignored and forgotten players like Ersan Gulum, Chris Herd and Richard Porta should have all featured for the Socceroos long ago but haven't.
So I don't think Holger picked the best players available he just picked the players he felt most comfortable with to get the job he was told to do which was just make the WC nothing else.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

If coaches are given contracts and paid bonuses on getting to the World Cup (as they have been in the past) you can't blame them for taking big risks in gambling on unknown players. Best thing FFA did was give Ange a 5 year deal, whilst he can only do so much before the World Cup and even the Asian Cup, he will have time to build after that
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Fair enough I agree with you, but sadly for the last 4 years that has totally been ignored and now we're in a position that we either go with the old generation that is IMO and obviously Ange's opinion as well past it, or the next generation that has a lot to learn.

Yes it is. A coach needs to leave a side in better shape then they started with IMO. Its a coaches job to not only coach the side they pick but to ensure young talent is coming thru as well so a seem less change between one generation and the other can be undertaken. I do feel development is down over the last few years IMO that is mainly due to the NSL stopping and the HAL starting. Many development pathways have been cut off and are still in need of repair. But that's not to say that all development pathways are cut and IMO the FFA has seriously dropped the ball in respect to player scouting. Many players IMO good enough to make our NT have been ignored and forgotten players like Ersan Gulum, Chris Herd and Richard Porta should have all featured for the Socceroos long ago but haven't.
So I don't think Holger picked the best players available he just picked the players he felt most comfortable with to get the job he was told to do which was just make the WC nothing else.
The NSL stopped nearly ten years ago, I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore - it's just lazy.

The national team squad isn't a development squad, by the time players are in contention for selection they should be of the sufficient calibre to play at international level.

He did give opportunities to a lot of players, however in qualifying he had to ensure that we got to the world cup. Surely we can agree that is of the highest importance to a coach in his position?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Knight15 wrote:If coaches are given contracts and paid bonuses on getting to the World Cup (as they have been in the past) you can't blame them for taking big risks in gambling on unknown players. Best thing FFA did was give Ange a 5 year deal, whilst he can only do so much before the World Cup and even the Asian Cup, he will have time to build after that
That's true so in fairness the blame really lies with the FFA for allowing this to go on. I feel they have cashed in our medium term future on the short term gain of making another WC. IMO 4 years was enough to get our squad developed and still make the WC but obviously we'll never know that for sure.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
The NSL stopped nearly ten years ago, I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore - it's just lazy.

The national team squad isn't a development squad, by the time players are in contention for selection they should be of the sufficient calibre to play at international level.

He did give opportunities to a lot of players, however in qualifying he had to ensure that we got to the world cup. Surely we can agree that is of the highest importance to a coach in his position?
I'm not saying the NSL was the only development tool I'm saying the NSL clubs like Adelaide City and South Melbourne have their development pathways from juniors to the very highest level in Australia. The HAL still doesn't have that.

Who are these players Holger gave a chance too? Besides the meaningless EAFF tournament where he almost buggered it up playing the old blokes but then saved his ass by finally giving the kids a run. Once we qualified for the proper EAFF tournament and Holger played and mixture of youth and experience that showed we did have talent coming thru. We just needed a decent coach to work with it. Sadly the only reason those kids like Mooy and Juric got a run though was because the tournament wasn't played on international FIFA dates so almost none of the abroad Aussies would come forcing Holger's hand.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Question - would you be happy if (insert the name of the team you support) signed Lucas Neill?
As an Adelaide United supporter, I'd have been worried.
He's on a downward trajectory, his legs are gone, he couldn't get a game in England no matter which lower division club he went to.
Yes, he could probably still cut it at A-league level (for a while), but I reckon for every goal saving tackle he made there'd be another tackle he couldn't get to that would result in a goal.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

otto62 wrote:Question - would you be happy if (insert the name of the team you support) signed Lucas Neill?
He's on a downward trajectory, his legs are gone, he couldn't get a game in England no matter which lower division club he went to.
Yes, he could probably still cut it at A-league level (for a while), but I reckon for every goal saving tackle he made there'd be another tackle he couldn't get to that would result in a goal.
Exactly! Considering he was shopped around a bit to the HAL clubs. No one took him up. His time at Sydney season before this showed us what he is capable of. Couldn't string more then 2 games together before getting injured. He's done.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

otto62 wrote:Question - would you be happy if (insert the name of the team you support) signed Lucas Neill?
If not Neill would you take Sasa?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

With Neil and Sasa, we also don't know what kind of money they were 'demanding', Neil has been known to chase the cash all his footballing life, so would probably have got a gig in the A-League but was after too much cash
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Knight15 wrote:With Neil and Sasa, we also don't know what kind of money they were 'demanding', Neil has been known to chase the cash all his footballing life, so would probably have got a gig in the A-League but was after too much cash
Even less reason to sign him! :lol: