Provisional WC squad announced May 14

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Provisional WC squad announced May 14

Post by Stuckey »

Forefront in Postecoglou's thoughts, however, is settling on his extended 30-man World Cup squad. The announcement will be made by 14 May before he names his final 23-man squad by 6 June.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australi ... f-the-draw

Who do you think deserves a shot?

Some players I'd love to see get a look in:
Malik - He plays a passing game that Ange is implementing which some players in the last friendly clearly struggled with and he has versatility so if Ange has a hole in either CB, CDM or RB Ossie could slot in there. I think he would make a very good squaddie.

Matt Smith - Played under Ange and is the leader of the HAL's most secure defence. I think he would be a great squad leader and would be able to bring in Ange's new style easily.

David Williams - Not shy in front of goal and has great pace. If Ange wants to bring in new faces in attacking positions I think Williams could be a good addition. Also it would be great to see an indigenous Australian playing on the biggest stage.

Aaron Mooy - Very handy with the dead ball and a good shot from distance (which I think may be the only chances we'll get!)

Mitch Nichols - Developed well under Ange and clearly understands his system. Starting to get regular game time for Cerezo Osaka in the ACL, and the J-league has just started so if he is playing he'd be in great knick come WC time.

Tomi Juric - Has a cracking shot that has can hit from range, IMO question marks about his tempriment though. I could see him sliding in for a crazy challenge and get himself sent off. We all know the refereeing will be harsh.

Bruce - At the risk of sounding like a rose glassed AU supporter, I really think Bruce would be a valuable addition. If he could string the rest of the season together and score a couple more goals I would consider him. He is a great target man that brings the wingers in to the game wonderfully well. Right now he is obviously a no but as I said if he can finish off the season well he deserves consideration.

Taggart - I'm not his biggest fan as I feel he offers very little to a side besides goals. But considering his age and his scoring record this season. Its pretty hard to argue against having him in the squad.

Troisi - IMO certainly deserves a run, Plays Ange's system, has scored a good amount of goals this season generally from the wing and also this would highlight that players can return home from Europe to play in the HAL and will get rewarded with a Socceroos call up.

GKs - Obviously Ryan is the number 1. He's the only player getting regular game time in a decent European league. Which IMO leaves the door open for HAL keepers to come in. I'd personally rather see the likes of Euge, Coe, Vukovic and Theo get a look in over Langerak or Jones who are lucky to play once a month in the first team.

Thoughts?

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Provisional WC squad announced May 14

Post by Flinders SC »

Stuckey wrote:
Forefront in Postecoglou's thoughts, however, is settling on his extended 30-man World Cup squad. The announcement will be made by 14 May before he names his final 23-man squad by 6 June.

Malik - He plays a passing game that Ange is implementing which some players in the last friendly clearly struggled with and he has versatility so if Ange has a hole in either CB, CDM or RB Ossie could slot in there. I think he would make a very good squaddie.

Matt Smith - Played under Ange and is the leader of the HAL's most secure defence. I think he would be a great squad leader and would be able to bring in Ange's new style easily.

David Williams - Not shy in front of goal and has great pace. If Ange wants to bring in new faces in attacking positions I think Williams could be a good addition. Also it would be great to see an indigenous Australian playing on the biggest stage.

Aaron Mooy - Very handy with the dead ball and a good shot from distance (which I think may be the only chances we'll get!)

Mitch Nichols - Developed well under Ange and clearly understands his system. Starting to get regular game time for Cerezo Osaka in the ACL, and the J-league has just started so if he is playing he'd be in great knick come WC time.

Tomi Juric - Has a cracking shot that has can hit from range, IMO question marks about his tempriment though. I could see him sliding in for a crazy challenge and get himself sent off. We all know the refereeing will be harsh.

Bruce - At the risk of sounding like a rose glassed AU supporter, I really think Bruce would be a valuable addition. If he could string the rest of the season together and score a couple more goals I would consider him. He is a great target man that brings the wingers in to the game wonderfully well. Right now he is obviously a no but as I said if he can finish off the season well he deserves consideration.

Taggart - I'm not his biggest fan as I feel he offers very little to a side besides goals. But considering his age and his scoring record this season. Its pretty hard to argue against having him in the squad.

Troisi - IMO certainly deserves a run, Plays Ange's system, has scored a good amount of goals this season generally from the wing and also this would highlight that players can return home from Europe to play in the HAL and will get rewarded with a Socceroos call up.

GKs - Obviously Ryan is the number 1. He's the only player getting regular game time in a decent European league. Which IMO leaves the door open for HAL keepers to come in. I'd personally rather see the likes of Euge, Coe, Vukovic and Theo get a look in over Langerak or Jones who are lucky to play once a month in the first team.

Thoughts?
Osama Malik- Forget about it. I believe he ahould be given a chance with the Socceroos but it's too late for him now. Ange has one friendly before he leaves for Brazil, he won't be using that game to experiment. Maybe after the World Cup. Playing an entire season in one position would also help his chances.

Matt Smith- He's English and he's 31. Plus we have other, far younger options at CB.

David Williams- Was horrendous earlier in the season so that has to be kept in mind when looking at his turn around in form. He's been labelled as 'having potential' for years now but will he ever deliver consistently? Needs to do that before he can be involved with the Socceroos.

Aaron Mooy- Has been quite poor for most of the season and we have a TONNE of central midfield options, he's not going to get a look-in. Milligan, Jedinak, Holland, Sarota, Luongo & Bresciano are all ahead of him.

Mitch Nichols- Unlikely. Again attacking midfield is a position where we are well stocked, and he's barely played at all since moving to Japan. Can't see it happening unless there's a fair few injuries.

Tomi Juric- Has talent but has been injured & inconsistent this season. Also rumoured to have attitude problems and still has discipline issues. Not something Ange has a history of putting up with.

Bruce Djite- Same as Malik, he's not going.

Adam Taggart- A definite chance for Brazil IMO. He has become more consistent in recent games and his overall play has improved. Also capable of the unusual/spectacular which is something that we need in our squad. His ability from range could also be handy. Being young, he could really benefit from going. If he keeps scoring he'll go. Playing (and scoring) in fimals will help his cause.

James Troisi- A possibility if he can get enough game time with Muscat's rotation policy, especially in forward areas. If he can keep scoring and playing well he's in with a shout. Not that young anymore but becasue of the stop start nature of his career he's got a younger body than his age suggests. The fact that Ange signed him also bodes well for his chances.

GK's- Ryan is our number for the next ten years. The guy has immense talent and his ability with his feet suits Ange's style to a tee. Langerak will go as number two despite his error, and my gut feeling says Ange will take either Galekovic or Birighitti to Brazil.
Depends whether he wants an experienced keeper or not. Keep in mind that Ryan is playing at a higher level than any keeper we have and has beem first choice for a few years, longer than we seem to remember.
If Birighitti comes back into the Jets side and does well, he'll go to Brazil IMO. Similar to his team-mate Taggart, he'll benefit from playing finals football. Ange may pick him as a third keeper on potential alone.
FSC

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Andy1991 wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Thoughts?
Osama Malik- Forget about it. I believe he ahould be given a chance with the Socceroos but it's too late for him now. Ange has one friendly before he leaves for Brazil, he won't be using that game to experiment. Maybe after the World Cup. Playing an entire season in one position would also help his chances.

Matt Smith- He's English and he's 31. Plus we have other, far younger options at CB.

David Williams- Was horrendous earlier in the season so that has to be kept in mind when looking at his turn around in form. He's been labelled as 'having potential' for years now but will he ever deliver consistently? Needs to do that before he can be involved with the Socceroos.

Aaron Mooy- Has been quite poor for most of the season and we have a TONNE of central midfield options, he's not going to get a look-in. Milligan, Jedinak, Holland, Sarota, Luongo & Bresciano are all ahead of him.

Mitch Nichols- Unlikely. Again attacking midfield is a position where we are well stocked, and he's barely played at all since moving to Japan. Can't see it happening unless there's a fair few injuries.

Tomi Juric- Has talent but has been injured & inconsistent this season. Also rumoured to have attitude problems and still has discipline issues. Not something Ange has a history of putting up with.

Bruce Djite- Same as Malik, he's not going.

Adam Taggart- A definite chance for Brazil IMO. He has become more consistent in recent games and his overall play has improved. Also capable of the unusual/spectacular which is something that we need in our squad. His ability from range could also be handy. Being young, he could really benefit from going. If he keeps scoring he'll go. Playing (and scoring) in fimals will help his cause.

James Troisi- A possibility if he can get enough game time with Muscat's rotation policy, especially in forward areas. If he can keep scoring and playing well he's in with a shout. Not that young anymore but becasue of the stop start nature of his career he's got a younger body than his age suggests. The fact that Ange signed him also bodes well for his chances.

GK's- Ryan is our number for the next ten years. The guy has immense talent and his ability with his feet suits Ange's style to a tee. Langerak will go as number two despite his error, and my gut feeling says Ange will take either Galekovic or Birighitti to Brazil.
Depends whether he wants an experienced keeper or not. Keep in mind that Ryan is playing at a higher level than any keeper we have and has beem first choice for a few years, longer than we seem to remember.
If Birighitti comes back into the Jets side and does well, he'll go to Brazil IMO. Similar to his team-mate Taggart, he'll benefit from playing finals football. Ange may pick him as a third keeper on potential alone.
Matt Smith has already played for Australia 3 times and as we saw in the Ecuador game not all the options Ange has are suited to a passing game style.
Mooy can hit a dead ball which is something most of the guys you mentioned aren't renowned for.

But I agree with the rest of your points.

Anyone out of the ordinary you think Ange may look at?

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

I think he may take a look at Tomislav Mrčela at centre back, big, strong, imposing guy, but with decent technical ability. Killing it in the Croatian top flight currently.

Mooy's ability with a dead ball isn't that good plus as I said we're stocked for central midfielders.

Rukavytsya could get a look in if he keeps playing well for FSV, especially with his pace off the bench.

Ange may also pick two new keepers to bring into camp to get his keeping coach to have a look at.
FSC

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

he was on the abc today, basically declaring the old brigade will not be going, calls to be made pre announcement of squad!!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:he was on the abc today, basically declaring the old brigade will not be going, calls to be made pre announcement of squad!!
Great news!

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

it is pretty clear, the squad has been cleared out, in terms of holgers old brigade

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:it is pretty clear, the squad has been cleared out, in terms of holgers old brigade
I've been waiting everyday since the 2010 WC for this day to come!

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

ange said straight out, if there is a kid with potential in that position or a old guy, he will go with the kid and potential.

finally a coach with future vision 8) 8) 8)

Luas will basically be replaced by good, spiranovic, etc etc

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:ange said straight out, if there is a kid with potential in that position or a old guy, he will go with the kid and potential.

finally a coach with future vision 8) 8) 8)

Luas will basically be replaced by good, spiranovic, etc etc
I just hope we don't get pumped so hard that the out cry calls for Ange's head. Personally I'll be over the moon with either a point or a goal difference better then -6.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

how good are holland and chile, how did they go in there qualifying groups ?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:how good are holland and chile, how did they go in there qualifying groups ?
I would say Chile are very dangerous. Qualified fairly comfortably.
The Netherlands are IMO on a downward curve but qualified comfortably thru what I would call a pretty damn easy group.

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

adelaidebloke wrote:how good are holland and chile, how did they go in there qualifying groups ?
TONNES better than us.
FSC

We Done Ya
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by We Done Ya »

Aaron Mooy IMO is one of the brightest talents in the country, however his move to WSW has just about killed his chances of WC spot. For starters Shinji Ono is playing in his preferred role and where he is most dangerous in the no 10, and if Rogic is firing he doesn't have much on a chance. May still go but can't see being a starter.
As far as GK are concerned, anyone recall how Kalac played at the World Cup after being on the eternal bench for Milan? Do we risk playing Langerak in a similar situation? I believe Mitch is the best keeper we have but you must be playing, and so Ryan starts everyday of the week for me.
Agree wi Taggart and potentially Juric but only one of them will go.
I think Malik has missed the boat this time but could be one for the future. The big call is on Djite. While I believe he is really not an international striker he is playing a system similar to Anges style and is doing it very well. Work rate and strength are key aspects of his game. Whether that could transfer against quality opposition I'm not sure. Pipe dream deserves a mention.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

We Done Ya wrote:Aaron Mooy IMO is one of the brightest talents in the country, however his move to WSW has just about killed his chances of WC spot. For starters Shinji Ono is playing in his preferred role and where he is most dangerous in the no 10, and if Rogic is firing he doesn't have much on a chance. May still go but can't see being a starter.
As far as GK are concerned, anyone recall how Kalac played at the World Cup after being on the eternal bench for Milan? Do we risk playing Langerak in a similar situation? I believe Mitch is the best keeper we have but you must be playing, and so Ryan starts everyday of the week for me.
I think Malik has missed the boat this time but could be one for the future. The big call is on Djite. While I believe he is really not an international striker he is playing a system similar to Anges style and is doing it very well. Work rate and strength are key aspects of his game. Whether that could transfer against quality opposition I'm not sure. Pipe dream deserves a mention.
Kalac was getting some game time at Milan though. I think Dida had a fairly long term injury around the WC and then struggled to cement his spot back from Kalac when he returned. Where as Jones and Langerak only play if the number 1 GK is injured or suspended.

IMO its so sad that Kalac is remembered for the one game against Croatia when he should be remembered as a legend of the game in this country. The guy played over 100 Serie A matches how many other Australians have done that?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
We Done Ya wrote:Aaron Mooy IMO is one of the brightest talents in the country, however his move to WSW has just about killed his chances of WC spot. For starters Shinji Ono is playing in his preferred role and where he is most dangerous in the no 10, and if Rogic is firing he doesn't have much on a chance. May still go but can't see being a starter.
Kalac was getting some game time at Milan though. I think Dida had a fairly long term injury around the WC and then struggled to cement his spot back from Kalac when he returned. Where as Jones and Langerak only play if the number 1 GK is injured or suspended.

IMO its so sad that Kalac is remembered for the one game against Croatia when he should be remembered as a legend of the game in this country. The guy played over 100 Serie A matches how many other Australians have done that?
Off the top of my head, probably Grella, Bresciano & maybe Okon
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Exactly very few.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Kalac was getting some game time at Milan though. I think Dida had a fairly long term injury around the WC and then struggled to cement his spot back from Kalac when he returned. Where as Jones and Langerak only play if the number 1 GK is injured or suspended.

Exactly very few.
He also didn't play over 100 Serie A games as well.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Exactly very few.
Who didn't?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Exactly very few.
Who didn't?
Kalac

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Who didn't?
Kalac
Ah you're right. 89 matches in Serie A but during those seasons at a Serie A clubs he also played Coppa Italia and Intercontinental matches as well.

nurvin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by nurvin »

This would be a good formation

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

nurvin wrote:This would be a good formation
McKay won't play left back. Taggart probably won't start. Leckie will be up front. Holman may not even go, let alone start. Neill won't het anywhere near the squad.
FSC

nurvin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by nurvin »

McKay won't play left back. Taggart probably won't start. Leckie will be up front. Holman may not even go, let alone start. Neill won't het anywhere near the squad.
Yes but Taggart should start even I think Leckie will be up front, Leckie can play as winger. Neill has more experience than any other defender. Holman and McKay can be replaced.

Touch The Frog
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Touch The Frog »

nurvin wrote:This would be a good formation
Surely the keeper cannot wear the same color as the rest of the team.
People are way too precious these days.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

Taggart squad player at best, lucas not going, holman wont go either.

Mackay, midfielder only as a squad member too.

nurvin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by nurvin »

I also think the squad will be with Davidson at LB , Rogic as Attacking midfielder Leckie Striker with Cahill behind him and another defender McGowan or C.Good instead of Neill. That was the squad as I wanted to be only!
Overall the squad is better than 1 year ago........anyway I think that Australia will loose all 3 matches at the world cup :clown:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

nurvin wrote:
Yes but Taggart should start even I think Leckie will be up front, Leckie can play as winger. Neill has more experience than any other defender. Holman and McKay can be replaced.
So can Neill!

Personally I think Taggart is too young and ineffectual around the ground to start.
Leckie should be our striker.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

i think we will get results against chillie and holland

nurvin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by nurvin »

How do you see Joshua Brillante as a backup for the world cup?