SOCCEROOS SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

SOCCEROOS SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by adelaidebloke »

post here in 30 mins guys :)

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Re: SOCCEROOS SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by adelaidebloke »

No Lucas Neil.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Oliver BOZANIC (FC Luzern, SWITZERLAND), Tim CAHILL (New York Red Bulls, USA), Jason DAVIDSON (SC Heracles Almelo, NETHERLANDS), Ivan FRANJIC (Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA), Curtis GOOD (Dundee United FC, SCOTLAND), Ben HALLORAN (Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY), Chris HERD (Aston Villa FC, ENGLAND), James HOLLAND (FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA), Mile JEDINAK (Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND), Brad JONES (Liverpool FC, ENGLAND), Mitchell LANGERAK (B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY), Matthew LECKIE (FSV Frankfurt 1899, GERMANY), Massimo LUONGO (Swindon Town FC, ENGLAND), Ryan MCGOWAN (Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA), Matthew MCKAY (Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA), Mark MILLIGAN (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA), Tommy OAR (FC Utrecht, HOLLAND), Tommy ROGIC (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA), Matt RYAN (Club Brugge KV, BELGIUM), Adam SAROTA (FC Utrecht, HOLLAND), Matthew SPIRANOVIC (Western Sydney Wanderers FC, AUSTRALIA), Dario VIDOSIC (FC Sion, SWITZERLAND), Luke WILKSHIRE (FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA).
Pretty happy. Not really anyone in there I would seriously question. Obviously a few young guys are there for Ange to look at but in general pretty good.

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

I wonder who will be the Captain?

Wilkshire/Cahill or maybe someone else?

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

Quite a number in that lot that have had links with Ange from the past which is only natural.

It does appear a further changing of the gaurd is happening.

We may have some short term pain for longer term gain but its a direction that has to happen.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Seems Ange has Herd the call :P

(Only played two games this season - last was 21 Dec :shock: )
Time for some righteous indignation

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Wow, it really shows you how bad we have become, it's the best of a bad lot, but it certainly doesn't excite
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Knight15 wrote:Wow, it really shows you how bad we have become, it's the best of a bad lot, but it certainly doesn't excite
+1
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

No breciano, no Neil...looks like ties have been broken now.

Herd is quality, shame about Robbie Kruse, real qulaity to miss

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

Christopher "Chris" Herd is an Australian association football player who plays for Premier League club Aston Villa. He has also represented his country at under-20 level.
Born: April 4, 1989 (age 24), Perth
Height: 1.73 m
Weight: 76 kg
Career start: 2008
Current team: Aston Villa F.C. (#17 / Midfielder)

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Not great signs really. I feel Ange is prepping for the Asian Cup from now. He knows the WC we're making up the numbers so he's got 10 months to get a squad right to win the asian cup on home turf

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Red-4-Life wrote:Not great signs really. I feel Ange is prepping for the Asian Cup from now. He knows the WC we're making up the numbers so he's got 10 months to get a squad right to win the asian cup on home turf
Sounds like Ange has been reading this!!

http://footballcentral.com.au/socceroos ... tarts-now/
FSC

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Red-4-Life wrote:Not great signs really. I feel Ange is prepping for the Asian Cup from now. He knows the WC we're making up the numbers so he's got 10 months to get a squad right to win the asian cup on home turf
He's certainly not talking that way.

He knows that this may be his only chance to coach at a world cup so I doubt he will treat it as a trial run for the Asian Cup.

Also the board at the FFA have shown that they are prepared to sack a coach over a couple of poor performances eg Osieck and Farina.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stitch This wrote:Seems Ange has Herd the call :P

He's been injured for a lot of that. He's just coming back in lately. You know my thoughts but how can Ange ingnore a 24 yo playing for an EPL club.
Knight15 wrote:Wow, it really shows you how bad we have become, it's the best of a bad lot, but it certainly doesn't excite
This is what we get for ignoring the age of our golden generation for the last few years and playing them anyway. Both Holger and Pim had no plans for the future. Now Ange has to rebuild.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:

He's been injured for a lot of that. He's just coming back in lately. You know my thoughts but how can Ange ingnore a 24 yo playing for an EPL club.
This is what we get for ignoring the age of our golden generation for the last few years and playing them anyway. Both Holger and Pim had no plans for the future. Now Ange has to rebuild.

I think you are missing Knight15s point, 10-12 years ago we had guys that were regularly playing SerieA (Vinnie Grella, Bresciano) as fringe players for the socceroos. Now it seems you only have to have been on the books of a top division club and you geta call up.

As much as people have low opinions of Pim and Holger, they weren't responsible for the development of youth players.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

I think you are missing Knight15s point, 10-12 years ago we had guys that were regularly playing SerieA (Vinnie Grella, Bresciano) as fringe players for the socceroos. Now it seems you only have to have been on the books of a top division club and you geta call up.

As much as people have low opinions of Pim and Holger, they weren't responsible for the development of youth players.
So what they are just there to coach and no plan for the future? What a joke

Would the gap in players coincide with the NSL failing and the HAL starting from scratch? I feel a number of HAL clubs have dropped the ball on player development. A lot of the old NSL clubs had great youth development. I think HAL clubs are only just now getting to the point where they can replicate what the NSL clubs were doing. No wonder CCM have such a great number of players involved with the Socceroos now. They were one of the first HAL clubs to work on a youth academy and a development squad.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I believe their brief was to get us to the World Cup, which they achieved. It appears FFA has seen the light and has therefore given Ange a much longer contract, so he can look at building something. From the above squad I think the 2015 Asian Cup is a very long shot
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Knight15 wrote:I believe their brief was to get us to the World Cup, which they achieved. It appears FFA has seen the light and has therefore given Ange a much longer contract, so he can look at building something. From the above squad I think the 2015 Asian Cup is a very long shot
That's true. I think the FFA have a lot of answering to do as far as where that state of the game is ATM. But still some of Holger's selections especially in the EAFF cup would insane to be kind!

Yes I hope we give it our all at the WC and don't have our pants pulled too far down and the side has gained valuable experience for a chance at a major trophy on home soil!

The Asian Cup is just under 12 months away that is a very long time in football! Some Serie A clubs would go thru 8 coaches in that time!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Herd is out :cry:

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Time for some righteous indignation

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Do any Villa fans know what the story is?

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Stuckey wrote:Do any Villa fans know what the story is?
Very hush hush. But if it's serious enough to make him withdraw from a squad where he could play for his country for the FIRST time, it must be pretty bad. Hope he gets whatever help he needs and gets his s**t together.
FSC

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Andy1991 wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Do any Villa fans know what the story is?
Very hush hush. But if it's serious enough to make him withdraw from a squad where he could play for his country for the FIRST time, it must be pretty bad. Hope he gets whatever help he needs and gets his s**t together.
I doubt it would have to be that serious that he had to withdraw from his third Socceroos squad. The fact he's not playing for Villa highlights that is may be serious.